The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA Question

stephengilbert

The cable release fitting on ALPA lenses appears to be threaded specially for the ALPA shutter release. Unlike most cameras or shutters, it has straight threads. Cable releases I've seen have tapered threads, as do all cameras I'm familiar with.

I'd like to replace the ALPA fitting with one that has the normal tapered thread so I get a better connection with my Kapture Group One Shot cable. Has anyone done this? Do you know of a source for the "normal" tapered fitting?

Thanks, Steve

O

Optechs Digital

Hi Steve,

The Alpa lenses use the standard Copal threaded cable release fitting which , as you say, is straight. This is not unique to Alpa. What is unique is that Alpa makes their soft touch release with straight threads to match this already existing fitting. Any tapered cable releases will also work in this fitting but only two or three threads will be making contact. This is the same as for any Copal mounted lens.

Best Regards,
Paul

stephengilbert

Paul,

Since I posted the question, I spoke with my local camera repair guy and with a Copal customer service rep. Neither was aware of the problem. While any cable release will screw into the shutter socket, it will only grab one or two threads. If you remove the cable release (e.g., to change lenses) often enough, the attachment will ultimately fail.

I'm going to take a cable release to a friend who has a machine shop and see if we can modify its threads for a better fit. I ran a 6-32 tap through the shutter socket and it cleaned things up enough for the cable to fit. Maybe we can use a 6-32 die on the cable end to make it fit as well as the ALPA button does.

I find it amazing that Copal would continue to sell shutters with a cable release socket that has threads different from those on currently manufactured cables. Especially since they use a tapered socket on one of their shutters. (The Copal Press 0.)

Thanks for the assist, Steve

stephengilbert

steflaurent,

You may not have had any problems (yet), but I have and would prefer a solution that's more reliable. When I asked ALPA whether they knew of a straight thread cable release, they didn't. Instead, they suggested that I avoid too much pressure on the release to avoid the cable popping off.

Maybe I'm too strong for my own good, but I doubt it.

Steve

Don Libby

Steve, not sure if this will help you or not however I found I had trouble threading my cable release in my Schneider lenses for the Cambo then after talking to Chris I came up with the idea of adding an extension. I now have a Gepe 3.25” flexible cable release extension on each of my lenses; I just screw my cable release into the extension and away I go; just disconnect the cable release from the extension and move to the next lens keeping the extension on the lens. I got them from B&H $30 each.

I also use the one-shot.

Don

stephengilbert

Don,

I thought of that, as I think it's the screwing and unscrewing that causes problems, but I'm going to try modifying the cable first. I think KG uses a modified Gepe extension between the black box and the lens. Using the One Shot on the ALPA TC, I'm trying to keep the cables as short as I can, but if I can't modify the cable I have my next step would probable be using a Gepe adapter of some kind. Gepe also make an L adapter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233734-REG/Gepe_603006_L_Hook_Adapter.html) that's shorter than the extension cable and would probably work better for me.

Thanks, Steve

PeterA

Interesting discussion Stephen - I have avoided this issue by using my finger to depress shutter...yes I know I know..

please keep us posted on progeess

Thanks
Pete

Don Libby

One of the first things I noticed when I started with the Cambo and Schneider lenses was how difficult it was at times to screw in the shutter release cable. Sometimes I’d get it the first time others it was time consuming and just hit or miss. Ever since installing the extensions on all my lenses all I need to do is thread the cable release into the extension and shoot simple and no problems. I got the shortest extensions I could find and had actually thought of the L adapter but wanted to give the flex cable a tri first; been using them now for a year without any problems.

Don

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Like Peter I have gone to using no cable but your idea with the short extension is brilliant...I will order mine this weekend.

I worry that the L adapter could act as a lever-arm in a very bad way when stored and may damage the fitting or the shutter itself.

Bob

Don Libby

Just goes to show that a simple mind (like mine) can occasionally come up with a brilliant idea. BTW I got mine from B&H.

Don

Should clarify – the extension came from B&H the simple mind came from someplace else. :) Just feeling silly about now. Too much eggnog.

stephengilbert

Doc,

I ordered one of those Libby adapters yesterday as well. Might even use a drop of Locktite on it. Don't worry, we're not in competition; I ordered mine from Badger Graphics.

I'm still planning to see if I can modify the threads on my KG cable, and will report back on the results.

Steve

docmoore

Doc,

I ordered one of those Libby adapters yesterday as well. Might even use a drop of Locktite on it. Don't worry, we're not in competition; I ordered mine from Badger Graphics.

I'm still planning to see if I can modify the threads on my KG cable, and will report back on the results.

Steve
Love to know if you find a good thread solution...I placed my Libby adapters order with BH today.

It is wonderful to find solutions to problems that you do not have the time to even define let alone work through.

Thanks to both you and Don.:thumbup:

Merry Christmas.

Bob

stephengilbert

Badger no longer sells ALPA. Aside from other reasons, that's a loss as they were the only place you could find ALPA prices online. ALPA's website prices were never the same as the retail price in the U.S.

stephengilbert

Step one: couldn't modify the threads on the cable; the die didn't want to bite because of the tapered end.

Step two: Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City is trying to get me a tapered thread socket from Copal.

Step three: I'm going to call S.K. Grimes when they get back to work after the New Year to see if they can modify a straight thread socket to fit a tapered end cable.

More to come.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Step one: couldn't modify the threads on the cable; the die didn't want to bite because of the tapered end.

Step two: Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City is trying to get me a tapered thread socket from Copal.

Step three: I'm going to call S.K. Grimes when they get back to work after the New Year to see if they can modify a straight thread socket to fit a tapered end cable.

More to come.

Steve

I am interested in a solution to the above described issue as well .

I believe it is better to get a modified cable release to have a straight thread end instead of getting a modified socket with a tapered thread .

I know a company , specialized in making cable releases of all kind , industry and photography , here in Germany .
I will contact them when all X-MAS and NEW YEAR holiday is over and give feedback with my findings .

They produce any kind of special cable release solution on demand . I have no idea about prices , but I will investigate that as well .

A decent price might be achieved when enough people would want a "solution" . I am prepared to handle this .

Jürgen

docmoore

Steve

I am interested in a solution to the above described issue as well .

I believe it is better to get a modified cable release to have a straight thread end instead of getting a modified socket with a tapered thread .

I know a company , specialized in making cable releases of all kind , industry and photography , here in Germany .
I will contact them when all X-MAS and NEW YEAR holiday is over and give feedback with my findings .

They produce any kind of special cable release solution on demand . I have no idea about prices , but I will investigate that as well .

A decent price might be achieved when enough people would want a "solution" . I am prepared to handle this .

Jürgen
Might be worthwhile to get Alpa involved in this...cannot see that any of their customers would not want the improvement! Should be enough people if they take control of this.

Thoughts?

Bob

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Might be worthwhile to get Alpa involved in this...cannot see that any of their customers would not want the improvement! Should be enough people if they take control of this.

Thoughts?

Bob

Good idea Bob

I will try to contact Mr. Wagner by tomorrow .
Don't know if he is in , but it is worth a try .

Jürgen