The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Hasselblad HC lenses

B

BlueLemon

I have the H3D2-39 with the 28 mm HCD and 80 mm HC

The process of selling both my Canon L lenses and my Hasselblad V equipment - including those Hasselblad lenses have already begun

CF 50mm
CFE 120mm
CF 150
CF 180
Canon 70-200/2.8L IS
Canon 35/1.4L

Now I have my eyes on the HC 120 and the HC 210 since i have decided to have only one digital system - not both Canon + Hasselblad

Would these two HC lenses fullfill my needs - i primarely do weddings, portraits and landscape/interieur

Claus

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I myself went with the 28 and the 100 as a start. I do mainly landscape, some portraits and maybe architecture.

I love the 100, it is a stellar performer and much better for me than the 80.

I am not sure if I would go for the 120, I rarely do macros I found.

I am considering the 150 or the 210 as my longer tele lenses, I am not sure which one I should prefer, need to test. A lot speaks for the 150 though ....

I still cannot get rid of the idea to keep my Sony Alpha system, as I would need this for fast wildlife photography, but not so sure if I will need it soon. So maybe selling it and jumping fully into Hasselblad would be the right choice for the moment.

As a High End P&S system I will buy into M4/3 most likely with the GF1. Actually then I will almost never use my Sony Alpha again I am pretty sure and also not my Leica M. The M4/3 is much more comfortable, smaller and IQ is very high - enough for the fast daily shoots :)

mark1958

I cannot see using the 120 or 210mm without a tripod. I compared the 150 +1.7TC with the 210mm and found them to be very close in IQ so i sold my 150. I know there are newer 150s and I am not sure which one i had at the time since i bought it used. I agree the 100 is a great lens. Perhaps you should consider the 35-90mm. That one could be used for weddings and landscapes.

fotografz

I'd think long term.

IMO:

get the 100/2.2, even if you sell the 80 to do it. It is my main wedding lens when using the Hasselblad H3D-II/39. I'm doing a portrait session tomorrow and that's the lens I'll use.

The 28 is great.

For weddings I'd question the wide zoom. It is pretty big on camera and would be a lot to lug around. Plus, if you do interiors you may eventually want the HC T/S 1.5 which will not take that zoom.

If you get the 120 macro ... then I'd say go for the 210 as 150mm would be too close to the 120.

If you do not use a macro often (you can use tubes instead) then consider this line-up ...

28, 50, 100, 150 & 1.7X ... I've used the 150 & 1.7X with the camera on a monopod at weddings and to shoot action stuff on location.

-Marc

P.S. you could keep the Zeiss 120/4 Macro and get a CF adapter to use it on your H camera ... macro work doesn't need AF anyway.

PeterA

Start with a 28/100 combination and spoil yourself. Keep your favourite V lenses and buy a CF adaptor. Your shooting preferences and habits will dictate what you will or will not use much. A set of extension rings and a 1.7X adaptor is a must.

Enjoy!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Start with a 28/100 combination and spoil yourself. Keep your favourite V lenses and buy a CF adaptor. Your shooting preferences and habits will dictate what you will or will not use much. A set of extension rings and a 1.7X adaptor is a must.

Enjoy!
I shoot mainly landscape and this plus the 150 is the lineup that I have. I got the 80 as a kit lens and I'm selling it The 100 is sensational and reasonably compact. It's very good wide open for portrait. The 1.7x is a pleasant surprise to me every time that I use it. The 120 is huge. The V adapter is a little ungainly in use - I'm not certain that it will work for you in a fast moving wedding situation. I've just agreed to trade my 40 CLE and 50 CF for ah HC 35-90 - it's been highly rated by people I respect.

fotografz

I shoot mainly landscape and this plus the 150 is the lineup that I have. I got the 80 as a kit lens and I'm selling it The 100 is sensational and reasonably compact. It's very good wide open for portrait. The 1.7x is a pleasant surprise to me every time that I use it. The 120 is huge. The V adapter is a little ungainly in use - I'm not certain that it will work for you in a fast moving wedding situation. I've just agreed to trade my 40 CLE and 50 CF for ah HC 35-90 - it's been highly rated by people I respect.
Yeah, Woody is right ... the CF Adapter and manual focus Zeiss V lenses is a nice combo ... but too slow for most wedding applications, or even some portrait work ... which is why I suggested it only for the CF 120/4 Macro since the OP already has that lens. Gotta have a longer lens for weddings IMO.

My new found love is the 210/4 that I just traded a Zeiss lens for with Son. The Bokeh is delicious and works nicely with the 100/2.2.

No more V lenses except maybe the Zeiss 50/4 CFi and 80/2.8 CFE on a H2F when shooting film ... but I'll probably sell those lenses and the adapter soon ... when it comes to MFD I'm just an AF guy all the way now :)

H3dtogo

The 120 mm is an incredible lens. Supersharp and very nice for portraits, but also still life, details during weddings but also the pictures in the park or gardens. I have two for sale, a used one and an almost new one.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member

Enjoy!
Has anyone used the HC 100 and HC 50 on an HTS?
I did a micro review of the HTS here: Link to HTS thread

Overall I believe that the HTS is very well optimized to the 28 mm and the 80mm. The 100 is very good but you probably need to stop down a stop or so to get comparable results. I haven't tried the other compatible lenses.

B

BlueLemon

I already have the CF Adapter, but use only the CFE 120 on that.

And I really love the CFE 120 - tacksharp and performs well in streetphotography.

So I thought that I should shift it for a HC 120.....

But reading your comments, i might go for the HC 100 (used to have Canon 85/1.2L and I suppose it has some of that same feel and bokeh)

So the NEW suggestion for lens lineup :

HCD 28
HC 100
CFE 120 on adapter
HC 210

and I will sell my CF 50 + CF 150 + CF 180 and the HC 80

What do you think ?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member

And I really love the CFE 120 - tacksharp and performs well in streetphotography.

But reading your comments, i might go for the HC 100 (used to have Canon 85/1.2L and I suppose it has some of that same feel and bokeh)

HCD 28
HC 100
CFE 120 on adapter
HC 210

What do you think ?
You gain a lot of flexibility if you add the 1.7x.

rmueller

What do you think ?
Hi Claus,

If you have the CF Adapter and plan to use it with the CFE 120 i would also
keep the CF 50 (in case you're not planning for a HC 50 or zoom), it's a
moderate wide-angle (comparable to 35mm in the 35 format) which i use a lot.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Holidays,
Ralf

hcubell

HCD 28
HC 100
CFE 120 on adapter
HC 210

What do you think ?
You have a really large gap between 28mm and 100mm, and two of your lenses would be really close, the 100 and the 120. The HC50 is roughly the equivalent of a 35mm lens in a 35mm system and is a focal length I personally find very useful. I used to have the 50-110 zoom but have switched over to primes.

fotografz

Ahhh what the heck, do like I did, buy them all and figure it out later. :ROTFL:

Kidding aside, I wouldn't consider the 100 and 120 to close except in focal length. The characteristics of the lenses are miles apart. The 100/2.2 is the AF pictorial lens, and the V 120 is MF and more optimized for close focusing.

It's up to the OP and his actual applications, but manually focusing a V 50 is a bear on the H camera even with focus confirmation when shooting a fast paced wedding. On a tripod and shooting groups, it's less of an issue.

But there IS a gap there for shooting weddings, that's for sure. A HC 50 would fill it. :thumbup:

Hi Claus,

The 28mm is a stellar lens.
I would follow that up with the 50 f3.5, 100 f2.2 and 150 f3.2 and 16mm extension tube. With the 28mm included you will have a well rounded selection of lenses. While I love the IQ of the 120mm macro, I prefer the portability of the 150mm, you can also choose the 1.7x tele-converter if you wish to extend the range of your 100mm and 150mm lenses.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Has anyone tried the 300 f/4.5? I just ordered one. With the 1.7 teleconverter one has a whopping 510mm of reach, though not particularly fast. I gather the lens is tack sharp though loses just a bit at the edges with the converter.

mark1958

I had the 300mm and it is a great lens. I found the 210 and 1.7x to be particularly close to the 300mm prime. The 300mm prime and 1.7x was also really great. I just did not carry it around with that often so did not really use it as much as I thought I might.

I have to agree with Paul except I really like the 120mm and would not trade that for anything.... I found the 100 +1.7x to cover my 150mm needs. I had a 50mm but sold it. now with the HTS would like to pick one of these up again in the future.

J

John Collins

I have a 120 macro coming and am looking forward to it for tabletop work. The 50 doesn't seem to be a "famous for sharpness" lens - I wonder what y'all think of it? it would fit into the middle between the 28 & 80 nicely. The comments concerning the 100 seem to be very positive. I have the HTS and it has been said that it has been optimized for the 28 & 80. Does the 100 do as well as the 80 on the HTS if it is stopped down?

mark1958

I can comment that in my opinion the 50-110mm zoom was a bit sharper than the 50mm prime until stopped down. However, the reason i want one is for the HTS. It would fill the gap between 28 and the 80/100 range