The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best tool to clean IR and CCS for my mamiya ZD

rrkradio

Best tool to clean IR and CCD for my mamiya ZD

Hi guys,
happy new year to everyone. This is my first post after a period of "only reading". I learned a lot .... seeing your pictures and following threads.

My name is Roberto, 45 years old, living in north west Italy very near the France border..... Shame on me for poor english !!!!!!

I purchased my first MFD equipment used (mamiya ZD with 3 lenses) and everything works like expected. I am very happy with overall quality. There are some small dusts (nothing of terrible... with few clicks using Capture One ... et voilà) on the IR filter or on the ccd (i don't know where .. think on the filter because the first owner told me he never removed the ir).

Could you suggest me something to do a good and safe cleaning of IR and CCD? It may be the "arctic butterfly 724 brite" a good choice?

Tnx in advance for every idea and happy festive season,

roby

Last edited:

fotografz

Re: Best tool to clean IR and CCD for my mamiya ZD

Hi guys,
happy new year to everyone. This is my first post after a period of "only reading". I learned a lot .... seeing your pictures and following threads.

My name is Roberto, 45 years old, living in north west Italy very near the France border..... Shame on me for poor english !!!!!!

I purchased my first MFD equipment used (mamiya ZD with 3 lenses) and everything works like expected. I am very happy with overall quality. There are some small dusts (nothing of terrible... with few clicks using Capture One ... et voilà) on the IR filter or on the ccd (i don't know where .. think on the filter because the first owner told me he never removed the ir).

Could you suggest me something to do a good and safe cleaning of IR and CCD? It may be the "arctic butterfly 724 brite" a good choice?

Tnx in advance for every idea and happy festive season,

roby
Welcome Roberto. Your English is much better than my Italian :)

I use the Arctic Butterfly to remove loose dust. Lint free Pec Pads are best for further needs. I just breath on the protective IR filter and lightly remove stubborn spots. There are solutions made for further work cleaning the IR.

IMO, do not try to clean the actual sensor ... that should be done by an expert in a clean room.

-Marc

rrkradio

Re: Best tool to clean IR and CCD for my mamiya ZD

Welcome Roberto. Your English is much better than my Italian :)

I use the Arctic Butterfly to remove loose dust. Lint free Pec Pads are best for further needs. I just breath on the protective IR filter and lightly remove stubborn spots. There are solutions made for further work cleaning the IR.

IMO, do not try to clean the actual sensor ... that should be done by an expert in a clean room.

-Marc
Hi Marc,
thanks for you fast reply. I'll buy the Arctic 724. I suspected that was unsafe to clean at home the CCD...

enjoy your last day of 2009,
roby

Don Libby

Sitting here this morning reading the newest posting while “Rocket Man” is playing on the radio. I share this as my first thought was trying to blow the dust off the IR with a hand blower.

Wlcome to the forum and Happy New Year!

Don

yaya

Hi Roberto,

Regarding the dust, you should be able to tell if the spots are on the filter (inside or outside) or on the sensor as the ones on the sensor will be in focus, meaning showing clearly with hard edges.

The best test would be shooting a white wall or an opaque filter and then pushing the contrast.

If they look soft then they're on the filter. You would normally be able to see them with a loupe or a magnifier and to determine if they are inside or outside...

Good luck and Buon Anno!!!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Stage 1 = rocket blower or DRY canned air on IR filter.

Stage 2 = rocket blower on all surfaces.

Stage 3 = Eclipse and pec pads followed up with the blower.

If you have to go to Stage 3, then I'd clean all 3 surfaces; the CCD and both sides of the IR filter.

And welcome to the forum!

Don Libby

Even in the dusty conditions I normally shoot I’ve found that my dust problems are normally fixed with the rocket blower.

rrkradio

Tnx for your help. Dust is not sharp ... edges are difficult to detect. Therefore i will try with the Arctic to clean the ir without removing it from the camera ..... after that ... i'll ask you guys.

Happy new year,
roby

rrkradio

Hi,
Arctic 724 arrived. Now is much better, but not perfect. I have some remaining dusts inside the filter, but if a remove it .... it remains in the cartridge. Therefore i can't access the other side ...... any suggestion ? or am i totally dummy ?

Roby

Last edited:
S

snajcziuk

Help needed.
I have the Mamiya ZD SLR version of the camera. [not the removable back version]. I see a menu function for CCD cleaning, but don't see that it does anything? I can remove the infared filter, but can not figure out how to 'see' or access the actual sensor. Does anyone know how to do this, or have the manual?
Thank you
Darryl