The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Drought - Illustrated

PeterA

Went for a walk around the large dam today with the Alpa and the Leaf back and 35mm Schneider.

Thought some people may have heard we are in drought down under..teh pics illustrate my main dam - 12 megalitres of potential catchment ( 25 feet deep by 300 feet long ) - the dam is down to 20% capacity so the cattle have been off the property for a year.. and even Hay production was down by 70% this year..farming/ranching is all about water..

The truck tyres you see were put there a few years ago in order to present shelter for trout and other fish we seeded the dam with - these tyres were 10- 15 foot under water a the time...

We have planted over 20,000 trees in the last 3 years...I love trees..we are using what water we do have to make sure we keep them alive..

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Pete,

Very nice, but depressing shots. I certainly hope you get some rain, and LOTS of it, very soon. What kind of trout did you plant? I'm sure it's a huge task trying to save all those trees. Cudos to you and your family for being fellow tree lovers ! Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Jim

PeterA

G'day Jim,

we are used to extremes down here..it is after all "the land of drought and flooding plains.."
thanks for your good wishes - i am well on the way to getting back to my old self..I even tried a round of golf on Saturday usually play off 4 but it will take time for me to get back to some form..in the meantime some golfign buddie are enjoying taking my money! LOL

I have all this camera gear - and yet my favourite system is the Alpa with one lens and a digi back..I really get a kick out of shooting at f8-16 and judging by eye focus points, and shutter speed.

For wide angle shooting - I dont think anything comes close - and the camera looks and feels so sexy ..hahahah

the trees are now all 2- 3 years old in teh ground and Australian natives are as tough as the environment they grow in..the water is low ...and teh huge dam is like a white elephant ..a constant reminder that one can plan as much as they like - but life and nature ..does its own thing...

The seeded trout is Australian species yellow belly. Cant show you any pics as teh wateer is low the birds got 'em all..no trout fishing for me..

Cheers.
Pete

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Pete,

I was afraid the birds had gotten your trout, too bad. :cussing: Hopefully you'll get enough rain to "filler" up again and plant some more. I realize your extreme temps so it is good your trees are hardy.

I hear your passion for the Alpa !! I WILL have one just as soon as I can figure out which way to go with MF. Have been monitoring the threads on this forum.....good dialog WITHOUT all the "mines better than yours" so prevalent on the LL forum. This topic could well go on forever, but I promise not past Photokina for me !! :thumbup: :ROTFL:

When you come over we'll play some golf, but not without your giving me a few shots !! :cry: And, if you come to the NW, I'll also take you trout fishing on a couple of our big rivers !! Show me some more Alpa shots when you can !! I need that constant reminder.......NOT !! :ROTFL:

Cheers,

Jim

PeterA

No rush on any of these decisions Jim. take your time and smwll the roses - good backs are just getting cheaper in teh used market and thats the way I'd go. Re Alpa wait till they release the new XY stitching machine in 12WA size..you can use it plain or you can use it as a stitcher..

cheers
Pete