The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Date Counter on Hasselblad Site ?

fotografz

The post on Luminous is confusing and inaccurate. The article they quote is speculative....
Nick-T
I think everyone understands that Nick.

We're just goofing off here since it's the dead of winter for some of us, and there's almost nothing else to do ...:)

-Marc

P.S. I sure didn't cancel my H4D/60 order because of some vague speculations :salute:

bensonga

-Marc
P.S. I sure didn't cancel my H4D/60 order because of some vague speculations :salute:
Hi Marc. That begs the question.....what was it about the H4D/60 that you didn't like or which didn't meet your needs? Price not right? Still hoping for the focal plane shutter? Something else? For many of us here, your thoughts and experience with Hasselblad MF digital systems are the gold standard.

Gary

fotografz

Hi Marc. That begs the question.....what was it about the H4D/60 that you didn't like or which didn't meet your needs? Price not right? Still hoping for the focal plane shutter? Something else? For many of us here, your thoughts and experience with Hasselblad MF digital systems are the gold standard.

Gary
What's not to like Gary? They are not available yet, so I haven't even touched one.

I ordered the H4D/60 and sent a P.O. to Hassey already because of the Trade-Up Promotion for my H3D-II/39 that ended on December 31st. I am super geeked about it because of the new AF system and LCD with double the resolution ... besides the 60 meg full frame.

I'd like a focal plane H body ... but only if it works with the leaf shutter H/C lenses (like the 203FE does). For me, the high sync speed is essential for all the focal lengths, not just some lenses.

I haven't actually spent one single dime yet ... so IF they come out with something new that fits my needs ... well then ... who knows ... I've sold off 1/2 my gear closet, so maybe both :eek:

-Marc

hcubell

The post on Luminous is confusing and inaccurate. The article they quote is speculative....
Nick-T
True, but I received an email from Hasselblad USA this afternoon showing a photo of a newborn wit the following text under it:

"First the H Camera changed the way Hasselblad saw the world.

Then the H2D changed the way the world saw Hasselblad.

Then the H3D changed the way we saw DSLRs.

Now the H4D is changing things again.

On February 10th, 2010, the evolution continues.

[Picture of counter]

We're counting down!

Book your calendar now to join us in a worldwide celebration of an exciting edition to the Hasselblad family on February 10, 2010.

Specific times and places to be announced on www.hasselblad.com on February 1, 2010. Click below for more info."

Should be very interesting. Nick knows, but he is not talking. Can't.

bensonga

What's not to like Gary? They are not available yet, so I haven't even touched one.

I ordered the H4D/60 and sent a P.O. to Hassey already because of the Trade-Up Promotion for my H3D-II/39 that ended on December 31st. I am super geeked about it because of the new AF system and LCD with double the resolution ... besides the 60 meg full frame.

I'd like a focal plane H body ... but only if it works with the leaf shutter H/C lenses (like the 203FE does). For me, the high sync speed is essential for all the focal lengths, not just some lenses.

I haven't actually spent one single dime yet ... so IF they come out with something new that fits my needs ... well then ... who knows ... I've sold off 1/2 my gear closet, so maybe both :eek:

-Marc
My mistake....I misread your comment.....I thought you had cancelled your H4D60 order for some other reason (ie not related to speculation on a new camera). Sorry! :eek:

I'm one of the lucky ones who got a couple items from your gear closet. Still haven't had a chance to get outside with the 350 yet....but soon (I hope). :thumbup:

Gary

fotografz

As I posted on another Hassy dedicated site ...

Just for kicks and grins, :D ...here is my speculation (we'll see how far off I am soon enough ... if it is in fact a new camera).

A less expensive (relatively speaking) Medium Format camera that is totally integrated ... meaning "not modular" so the digital back and maybe the viewfinder cannot be removed.

Reasoning: Hasselblad has been moving this direction for some time now with the H system. There have been no indications of continuing the 31 or 39 meg versions of the H camera ... only 50 and 60 meg. H4Ds. So, this new camera would become the entry level Hasselblad.

To retain "entry Level" status it will take the existing lenses, so photographers can grow into to higher meg, larger sensor H versions, and existing H owners can supplement their current H system with a new camera that provides different shooting and handling features ... that may eliminate the need for a supplemental 35mm DSLR kit with all the additional lenses and acessories.

To expand the appeal of the camera with 35mm SLR users, the sensor may be a CMOS type that provides higher ISOs at full resolution and allow a number of other innovations like Live View, WiFi and possibly video capture (eventually).

(Video doesn't interest me much, but it is a growing phenomena in the DSLR category on one end, with the possibility of still capture from video systems like RED at the other end. However, I would love to see video from such a system and may be tempted to use it if it was there to use).

I would guess that the sensor will be sourced from Dalsa who makes both types of imaging chips. Much has happened with CMOS technology in a few short years and CMOS provides for smaller, less complex camera design while providing faster capture rates with less heat. A good hint as to what's coming is provided again by watching RED ... which uses CMOS technology, and have indicated up to medium format sized + CMOS sensors are coming.

Since shutters have been discussed in some articles including the elimination of a mechanical shutter, this would lead me to believe that the Leaf shutters will not be how this camera controls exposure speeds. If this is true, then the possibility of new faster aperture lenses for this camera could be offered ... like the faster Zeiss lenses for the 200 series camera ... but smaller since the sensor will be smaller than 645 (like the S2 sensor, but hopefully a 4/5 ratio)

Like I said, we'll know in a few days how wrong I am ... :D

-Marc

JSK Rangefinder

As I posted on another Hassy dedicated site ...

I would guess that the sensor will be sourced from Dalsa who makes both types of imaging chips. Much has happened with CMOS technology in a few short years and CMOS provides for smaller, less complex camera design while providing faster capture rates with less heat. A good hint as to what's coming is provided again by watching RED ... which uses CMOS technology, and have indicated up to medium format sized + CMOS sensors are coming.

-Marc
perhaps the future of CMOS sensor/idea stands behind their logic of designing their new lenses HCD 4.0-5.6/35-90, HCD 4/28 by obviously ignoring the ff 645 coverage without much business related stress..

Professional

Yesterday and before yesterday the person from Hasselblad [from Holland] came to Dubai and joined the event called "Beauty of Images with Hasselblad and Profoto", he did a presentation about Hasselblad, and he mentioned that this date counter is for H4D-60 releasing in the market i think, i played with H4D-50 they brought, but i made a trade-in for H4D-60mp, and he said that they promised people since about 1 year or so, and now it is time to fix a date.
He told me that the main problem with that new H4D-50 or 60mp is with high ISO from 400 and over, because they are using Dalsa sensor, now we have to wait and see what they did to that 60mp then.

arashm

hum;
I hope it's more than just a release date for the H4D-60
(I'm not saying your info is not correct, I just want more)
Personally I was very interested in the S2 in concept, if Hasselblad is going to bring out a CMOS body at a reasonable price, I'm all over it.
I've now skipped a few upgrade cycles and am in the market for something...
I guess we'll see.
(problem is I'm such a little kid with these things and I wana know now :) )
am

fotografz

Yesterday and before yesterday the person from Hasselblad [from Holland] came to Dubai and joined the event called "Beauty of Images with Hasselblad and Profoto", he did a presentation about Hasselblad, and he mentioned that this date counter is for H4D-60 releasing in the market i think, i played with H4D-50 they brought, but i made a trade-in for H4D-60mp, and he said that they promised people since about 1 year or so, and now it is time to fix a date.
He told me that the main problem with that new H4D-50 or 60mp is with high ISO from 400 and over, because they are using Dalsa sensor, now we have to wait and see what they did to that 60mp then.
These guys are sworn to secrecy. Besides, if I was trying to sell you a H4D/50 or H4D/60 ... telling you about a new camera without being able to spell out the specifics would not be a good sales move. (???).

Also, why would there be the same issue with the 50 and 60 concerning high ISO over 400? The 50 is a Kodak sensor ... the 60 is a Dalsa sensor.

-Marc

Professional

These guys are sworn to secrecy. Besides, if I was trying to sell you a H4D/50 or H4D/60 ... telling you about a new camera without being able to spell out the specifics would not be a good sales move. (???).

Also, why would there be the same issue with the 50 and 60 concerning high ISO over 400? The 50 is a Kodak sensor ... the 60 is a Dalsa sensor.

-Marc
I don't know why, but maybe because of what happened to P65+ on high ISO comparing to P45+ and P30+, that guy also said that they prefer Kodak sensor over Dalsa sensor, honestly i will buy H4D-60 even it is so bad at ISO400 up to ISO800, my H3DII is so bad at ISO400 anyway, even at ISO200 it is like ISO1600 or ISO800 on Canon entry level or semi pro cameras.

The event to my opinion was not so good enough, really i didn't see something that making me to go with newer Hasselblad, and about Profoto i saw the lights many times and i have their catalogues and also i visit their dealer in UAE many times and i can try any light there, so this event is i think a trial for them to push people to think about Hasselblad and Profoto, i even they don't care if anyone will be H4D or H3D 50, they will be happy if many will buy H3D 39 and 31, and even those cheap Profoto options [Acute, umbrella, softboxes, cheap power packs or heads...etc].

Good that you were not there, because i am sure you will not be satisfied much about it, i even didn't go there to buy Hasselblad or Profoto, i was after models or some products shooting, and i don't care when that H4D-60 will be there available, and too bad i ended up with that event to buy profoto light.

T

tetsrfun

This is posted on their site...doesn't sound like new equipment is going to be announced.

"So what's with the clock?

Curiosity’s killing you, isn't it?

What if we were to tell you that our little surprise is something that can help you get famous?

What if we were to tell you that we can put your work in front of hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people, absolutely free of charge?

What if we were to tell you that you still have to wait until February 1st to find out the rest? "

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/countdown.aspx

K

K3N

This is posted on their site...

What if we were to tell you that our little surprise is something that can help you get famous?

What if we were to tell you that we can put your work in front of hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people, absolutely free of charge?

What if we were to tell you that you still have to wait until February 1st to find out the rest? "
First two sound like a website. 3rd sentence could be hinting that something else will be announced. At least they didn't try the Zeiss Ikon approach of revealing the camera bit by bit. That was excruciating.

markowich

i hear from various sources that it will be a H4D 40. most likely the same sensor as in the P40+. if so, it is a letdown afaiac.
peter

tjv

while and H4D 40 and not a fully integrated SLR may be a bit of a let down for me, I wonder if the price will be attractive enough to entice a few more potential customers away from Leica's S2. For me the S2 seems like almost the perfect camera but is priced in a bracket that is hard to rationalize on a per feature and performance basis. (Old news and story, I know. Sorry to tread old ground!) If an H4D 40 is priced at 2/3rds the price or even 3/4 the price, has a full system of accessories available already, then it would be a no brainer for me.