The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HCD 35-90 Zoom

hcubell

Does anyone know if the HCD 35-90mm zoom can be used with an H1/H2? I understand that the HCD 28mm lens can only be used with an H3D, but that was supposedly because of the need for the optical corrections applied by the Phocus software to an extreme wide angle lens.
Thanks.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You can use it, it will only crop a bit to 1.1.

Interesting how good the borders will come out though.

Does anyone know if the HCD 35-90mm zoom can be used with an H1/H2? I understand that the HCD 28mm lens can only be used with an H3D, but that was supposedly because of the need for the optical corrections applied by the Phocus software to an extreme wide angle lens.
Thanks.
Hi H,

The HCD 35-90mm and 28mm can be used with the following:
H2 with Hasselblad CFH, H2D, H3D, H3DII and H4D.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

The Chassis is the same but the electronics (circuit boards) and firmware are different. Hasselblad does try to keep all Custom Functions the same across the various platforms. The H1/H2 are considered a hybrid camera where a photographer can use a film magazine as well as a digital magazine. Therefore the H1/H2 still has Custom functions specific for that film capability.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

hcubell

Hi H,

The HCD 35-90mm and 28mm can be used with the following:
H2 with Hasselblad CFH, H2D, H3D, H3DII and H4D.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
Thanks, Paul. This is good news and bad news. I recently tested the HC 35-90mm lens on an H3D-39 against the 35, 50, 80 and 100 primes and the HC 50-110 zoom. I was always impressed with the 50-110 zoom and my tests confirmed that it holds up very well against the HC primes. There is little, if anything, lost with the 50-110 zoom. However, the 35-90 zoom is on another level, at least at 50mm compared to the HC 50mm prime. The latter looks soft compared to the 35-90 zoom. Initially, I thought the 50 must just be a poor performer, but then I compared it to the 50-110 zoom at 50mm and they were very comparable. I could not see a real difference. (I have not had the time to really compare the 35-90 at 35mm and 80mm with the primes.)
The bad news is that I cannot use the 35-90 zoom as I am now using an H1. The good news is that I am foreclosed from spending $6,000 or so on another lens.
I wonder how much money Hasselblad is losing in lens sales in locking out the HCD 28 and the 35-90 zoom. A thousand copies of a $6,000 lens is $6M!

Ooohh, penalty for bad word! :shocked: :D
Paul - So the 35-90 will work on the H2 but not the H1. Why would that be?
Thanks,
Steve Hendrix
Steve,

There are a different PCB's (circuit boards) incorporated into the H2 which allowed Hasselblad to provide power to our CFH (22 & 39mp) digital magazines. The standard rechargeable battery was the 7.2v Lithium ion 1850 mAh. This also allowed us to introduce the first Level 1 DAC - chromatic aberration correction, this took place in 2005. At the time we also introduced the H2D, the second generation integrated DSLR.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

Analog6

I'm a bit confused now. I bought an (as I understand it) H1 upgraded to an H2. It has a Phase One P20 back. I was hoping to one day get one of these lenses as my major interest is landscape work. Does this mean it will not 'fit' my system? And clarification much appreciated. If it helps I can post the camera serial number.

ghoonk

Thanks, Paul. This is good news and bad news. I recently tested the HC 35-90mm lens on an H3D-39 against the 35, 50, 80 and 100 primes and the HC 50-110 zoom. I was always impressed with the 50-110 zoom and my tests confirmed that it holds up very well against the HC primes. There is little, if anything, lost with the 50-110 zoom. However, the 35-90 zoom is on another level, at least at 50mm compared to the HC 50mm prime. The latter looks soft compared to the 35-90 zoom. Initially, I thought the 50 must just be a poor performer, but then I compared it to the 50-110 zoom at 50mm and they were very comparable. I could not see a real difference. (I have not had the time to really compare the 35-90 at 35mm and 80mm with the primes.)
The bad news is that I cannot use the 35-90 zoom as I am now using an H1. The good news is that I am foreclosed from spending $6,000 or so on another lens.
I wonder how much money Hasselblad is losing in lens sales in locking out the HCD 28 and the 35-90 zoom. A thousand copies of a $6,000 lens is $6M!
Is the 35-90 is comparable in performance to the 50-110? I have a H4D-40 and contemplating the 50-110 (I already shoot with a 28 and a 100), but had found it a tad on the heavy side and thought it might a little stressful to shoot this handheld for portrait/travel work.

I'm told the 35-90 weighs the same, but is a slower lens overall, and that the 50-110 is no slouch.

What are your thoughts on this?

jerome

Is the 35-90 is comparable in performance to the 50-110? I have a H4D-40 and contemplating the 50-110 (I already shoot with a 28 and a 100), but had found it a tad on the heavy side and thought it might a little stressful to shoot this handheld for portrait/travel work.

I'm told the 35-90 weighs the same, but is a slower lens overall, and that the 50-110 is no slouch.

What are your thoughts on this?
I have the 50-110 zoom, which is pretty good, but really too heavy. With the 28 mm and the 50 mm2, it's far less heavy and you can shoot handheld with perfect photos, even with the H4D50.

In fact, I don't use the 50-110 at all now and I should sell it. The range of the 35-90 would be better for me, as I don't have the 35 lens and I can read everywhere it's a prime zoom.

But saving my back will also save some money as this zoom is heavy too. I think for landscape photographs, Fix lenses are better because the weight is not so heavy for long day of walk.

And we have time to change the lenses. I suppose for other use, a zoom would be better : more convenient and better adaptation to the changing situation.

That's how I work now, but I know some could argue that a zoom is less heavy than different lenses, yep, but as I walk with the camera on my shoulder, I feel the weight :)

D

davidthescot

One small detail is that the HCD lenses are designed to work with the smaller sensors (i.e. up to 50MP) The image circle is smaller than on the HC lenses. So if you are shooting on an H1 or H2 with film, or on a 60 or 80MP MFDB you will lose some of the image and there will be a bit of softness on the edges. I use it on an H4D-60 and it is a stellar performer accepting the loss of around 10% of the image.

hi david... i took from a friend very recently the h3d-ii 39 and 2 lenses... 35-90 and 300 mm.... i don't mean free but in really good condition and really cheap according the original prices on boxes(i ve seen prices about 6,5k per lense bla bla)
as an amateur i don't earn my money from this... i m a professional composer..
i like the very good quality for my taste and fun..(i m not a pro)
as you report about image circle of 35-90 with 35-90 on my h3d-ii 39 mp means that the camera makes interpolation to cover the difference so in few words the are no true tue colors if we can say like this? as i remember right my sensor is about 48x36 kodak ccd right? so in my sensor and my camera do i lose as you report an amount of sharpness on the edges?
the few test i made so far but not really hard test i was impressed by the quality
i m curious to start to shoot seriously to see the results..regards any recommendation would be useful