The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Accessories for MF Photography

carstenw

I have been mulling over my MF habit recently, and have found that there are a few holes in my setup which I would like to fill, but these are non-camera items, and I don't recall seeing any discussions about them here.

First of all, it is winter, and unusually cold for Berlin, and I have only one pair of gloves. These unfortunately are too tight at the fingers, so they don't protect sufficiently. Does anyone have tips for good gloves which can stay on most of the time while making photos? I don't mind if I have to take them off for the more fiddly tasks, but if I could do basic adjustments and especially tripod extension and collapsing, that would be great.

Secondly, I have a nice new tripod, the GT3541XLS, and a little to my surprise, I find that the extra height is often an attractive option. The tripod is 2m, however, and I am only 1,78m... Does anyone have a tip for a little stool which collapses small, doesn't weigh much, is easy to carry, but stable enough to stand on? 30cm tall would be ideal (about 1').

On my list of things to do before I die I have a new item: watch Don use his Gitzo at full extension without using any aids :)

Finally, I find that my existing bags no longer fit my equipment so well. I like to carry the Contax 645 and 2 or 3 lenses (of 35/80/120), OR my Hasselblad 2000FC/M with 2 or 3 lenses (of 50/110/250), plus a Pentax Digital Spotmeter, and a small amount of film or other little things. I have been wondering if the Domke F-803 or another similar satchel would fit my stuff. Alternatively, the Artisan&Artist ACAM-7000. Does anyone have any experience with these bags used this way, or another similar satchel (not Billingham, I am not so fond of these)? Ideally, the bag would be able to hold a magazine or two, or a small book as well.

thomas

Does anyone have a tip for a little stool which collapses small, doesn't weigh much, is easy to carry, but stable enough to stand on? 30cm tall would be ideal (about 1').
Finally, I find that my existing bags no longer fit my equipment so well.
So you need something to step on and a new bag.
Take two in one:
http://www.b-w-international.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=15
There's a backpack system for the cases:
http://www.b-w-international.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=25

You can stand on that cases (I don't know the specs of the cases... but I do it).

Don Libby

The number one accessory for medium format is a good sky mask followed by a fast car! :D

Gloves – I normally wear heavy wool gloves and also carry lightweight gloves that I can wear the same time I wear mittens. The mittens I have are the combo type that are part glove (fingers in glove type with tips left off) and the mitten part is removable (the top mitten part folds backwards). I found a lightweight pair of gloves that would fit the same time I wear the mittens so my fingers are protected. I had a slight case of frostbite as a wee child that affected my fingers and I’ve found wool to be the best for warmth and use.

Tripod/stool – Sorry can’t help you there maybe someone else who has a slight height deficiency can help, maybe Ken or Guy? :ROTFL:

Regarding your bucket list – Come to Carmel next month! Capture Integration will be in Carmel along with Ken & I and I’ll see what I can do for you! If you can’t make Carmel would a video do? :thumbup:

Bags- need just a little more information. Are you looking for a device for transport or carrying? I keep my Cambo WRS1000/P45+ along with all the lens and screen in a Pelican case. The Pelican stays in the rear of my Jeep and I work from there. I also have a Lowepro backpack for when I need to be further than a ¼ mile from the Jeep; fits the Cambo with lens and an additional lens and a filter or two. I normally keep my 1DsII IR in a Domke which is great as well. My laptop has it’s own bag.

Not sure of the stores available to you in Berlin as it’s been too long since I flew into there and frankly I had other priorities at the time. Gloves you should be okay locally. Look on line for Pelican cases and of course B&H (try to go there off my blog) also you might want to give REI a try.

Hope this helps. I’ll try to contribute more later on.

Don

Don Libby

Looks like Thomas was posting during the time it took me to write my response. The box looks like a Pelican case and if so yes you’d be able to stand on it. I stood on one just recently changing a light bulb and I weight over 230 pounds.

Don

fotografz

Look for hunter's mittens ... they have a flap that allows you to use your trigger finger ... I use these along with some runner's gloves which are very thin and light weight.

carstenw

The fold-back mittens and hunter's mittens are two tips that sound promising. I will follow up on those.

The Pelican case is great, but not what I am looking at here. I have no Jeep :) Whenever I can find 4 free hours (I am just 43 years young, with a girlfriend and a daughter, so spare time is like ice cubes in the Sahara for me), I hop on the U-Bahn (subway) and go to the nearest unexplored old cemetary and root around there for a few hours, ending up in a cafe afterwards to warm up again. Hence when I mentioned the Domke F-803 I was really hoping that someone had a good tip on an over-the-shoulder satchel which is easy to reach into, roomy and comfy, without needing to take it off or put it on the (snowy) ground. I have a feeling that the 803 is too small for a Hassie and 3 lenses, but maybe there is something similar? I am not looking to carry a lot in it, and often go even with just 2 lenses, one being on the camera. Something that does for MF what the A&A Oskar's One Day Bag does for my M8. I do have a Kata R-103 for larger kits, like the Contax 645 and 4-5 lenses, along with both film and digital backs etc, but that is overkill for the little trips I am talking about.

Well, if you don't need a stool, Don, and I need one, then Ken and Guy probably need the stackable version of mine :) I would love to come to Carmel or anywhere else in the south-western States, but my money goes to keeping my family happy, and my photography addiction stoked, so no go. A video would do nicely, yes :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I am not looking to carry a lot in it, and often go even with just 2 lenses, one being on the camera. Something that does for MF what the A&A Oskar's One Day Bag does for my M8.
I spent four hours trying to find yet another bag....no one bag fits all needs.

I came home with my fifth Lowepro...Flipside 400AW which may be too narrow for your needs. My H3D II 39 will fit only with the 80 attached. However I can carry Nikon DSLR Oly E-P1 Canon G10 two flashes Quantum battery Fong LightSphere and five lenses with batteries memory cards filters in it.

However...these two from Lowepro may meet your needs.

Orion

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Orion-AW,1987,7.htm

Classified Sling 200

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Classified-Sling-220-AW,2141,23.htm

The Orion will be a more versatile choice...I use mine as a belt pack without the top attachment most times then add the top to turn it into a backpack when I need clothes food etc. The Magnum 400AW is an alternative but not as easy to carry. Pro Roller X is a series of three bags that have rollers but an internal removable pack for short day trips.

Lowepro bags are overbuilt and therefore quite heavy but the protection is great.

Bob

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been using the thinktank airport antidote. not an over the shoulder rig, and you do have to take it off and set it down, but is is handy, holds a 205 body/back and several lenses, cleaning gear and is easy access when you lay it down, back un-zipped.

works well as a travel bag as it protects the gear better than a softer Domke.

carstenw

The Kata R-103 sounds quite similar to the ThinkTank in size and workflow, but I am looking for a bag I don't need to put on the ground to access everything, since the ground where I am working recently is often wet and dirty.

The Tenba sounds very neat, although the shape is a little more rectangular than I had envisioned. I will see if I can find somewhere in Berlin which carries them, and check it out. Searching around, the Tenba PM-17C also sounds like it might do the trick...

Thanks for those tips!

Don Libby

I tried a Lowepro Slingshot a couple years ago. There are 2 sizes and both allow you to keep the bag on while getting to your gear. I remember it working reasonably well for me. The downside for me now is that all the weight is on one shoulder and I now have bouts of bursitis which causes too much pain for a one shoulder bag. But then again you’re young!

Look here for the specs on the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW and 300 bags.

I’ve just about given up on a one size fits all bag and look instead for a bag/camera specific.

Don

evgeny

I use f.64 BP Large Backpack for Contax 645 with 140mm and digital back attached I like that the camera is in HORIZONTAL position), plus 35mm and 55mm (or/and 80mm) lenses, plus flash, light meter and cables. The backpack has more inside space, if you can handle such a weight, plus two detachable pouches. It is not perfect, such it's not designed to transport a computer, but my Think Tank Drive is not perfect for MF either.

carstenw

I use f.64 BP Large Backpack for Contax 645 with 140mm and digital back attached I like that the camera is in HORIZONTAL position), plus 35mm and 55mm (or/and 80mm) lenses, plus flash, light meter and cables. The backpack has more inside space, if you can handle such a weight, plus two detachable pouches. It is not perfect, such it's not designed to transport a computer, but my Think Tank Drive is not perfect for MF either.
Thanks for the tip, in case I ever want a better backpack. For now, I just want something I can keep over my shoulder while shooting, Leica M-style.