The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Challenge: Shot of the Decade

bensonga

I've been taking photographs in this area for the past 15-20 years, so I suppose that qualifies as a project (informally at least). The area has changed over time, which has provided some new opportunities, but to a greater extent has meant less interesting subjects (think urban renewal, but on an industrial scale....the interesting old fish cannery buildings are gone, now it's mostly container port storage etc). Have a look at my photograph above....that's the kind of thing I enjoy photographing in this area....and there are less and less of these around, not to mention new security restrictions at the port and railroad which means alot of areas are "off limits". Time to look for greener pastures I suppose. This area was just very interesting to me and very convienent to my work place.

Gary

fotografz

While I've shot a number of MF wedding images I like ... this commercial shoot for Muddy Creek riding gear probably had the most challenges, fun, and feelings of artistic fulfillment all rolled into one.

Challenges included: the end images were to be printed up to 7 feet wide and would be viewed up-close in a trade booth ... thus the use of MFD, and we had to shoot a lot of images during golden hour ... including motion sequences.

For this representative image I used a H3D/31 on a monopod with a H/C 150 & 1.7X. mounted.

The rider here is the owner of the company (along with his wife) ... he's the real deal ... I even shot their wedding, which was performed all on horse back at their ranch.

fotografz

That is a lovely image, very evocative.
If you mean my cowboy pic ... then thank you!

I see you are from Australia ... that dog running behind the rider is an Australian Cattle Dog that kept all the horses on this shoot in-line. Quick, smart and brave as they come. Damned thing was almost human in it's understanding of what needed to be done and when.

Here's another from that series with that dog ... a demo product shot of the Riding Duster that, unlike other similar products, covers the whole saddle.

Collectively, I LOVED this commercial shoot more than any other in the past decade.

-Marc

proenca

Well, may I chime in?

Funny enough, one of my best pictures to date ( well according to me, myself and I ! ) was actually taken with film - not MF but then again, if Y SOL opened up the precedent to post a non MF image, I will jump on the non-MF bandwagon as well.

I have few digital cameras, used lot of pro digital cameras ( 1Ds, 1Ds2, D2x, etc etc ) and upgraded cameras and lens but this what i considered one of the best ever :

Taken with a Leica M7, Leica 35mm ASPH 2.0 :

I had it printed BIG and, just like the OP, never tired looking at it.

Analog6

If you mean my cowboy pic ... then thank you!

I see you are from Australia ... that dog running behind the rider is an Australian Cattle Dog that kept all the horses on this shoot in-line. Quick, smart and brave as they come. Damned thing was almost human in it's understanding of what needed to be done and when.

Here's another from that series with that dog ... a demo product shot of the Riding Duster that, unlike other similar products, covers the whole saddle.

Collectively, I LOVED this commercial shoot more than any other in the past decade.

-Marc
I can see it would have been fun. Cattle dogs have years of instinct bred into them, their ancestry includes sheep dogs so the herding gene is strong.

That first pic reminded me very much of RM Williams, a famous outback cattle man here in Oz who also developed a retail line and stores. He has passed on now but the legend goes on in the store and the terrific Outback magazine, which I hope to get some shots and maybe a story (I have a BA in Professional Writing too, and have had some stuff published) published in one day.

Cheers, Odille