The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shutter lag and Windows software

T.Karma

Hello everybody,

This is my first post and I am coming up with a question.

I am trying to decide on a DB for Contax 645 and could gather some useful info here and on other sites. I have to say many thanks to all experienced photographers here who share their experiences so freely.

However, there are two topics, where to get a definite answer seems to be somewhat difficult.

1. Which DB causes the least amount of shutter lag on a C645.
2. Which Live preview softy works most uncomplicated, reliable on Windows (any incarnation). Mac is not an option for me for more than one reason.

greetings,

T.Karma

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hello everybody,

This is my first post and I am coming up with a question.

I am trying to decide on a DB for Contax 645 and could gather some useful info here and on other sites. I have to say many thanks to all experienced photographers here who share their experiences so freely.

However, there are two topics, where to get a definite answer seems to be somewhat difficult.

1. Which DB causes the least amount of shutter lag on a C645.
2. Which Live preview softy works most uncomplicated, reliable on Windows (any incarnation). Mac is not an option for me for more than one reason.

greetings,

T.Karma
Can you tell us for what application you'll be using Live Preview and/or the application in general? I ask because it's unusual to need minimum shutter lag AND Live Preview. Usually if you need minimum lag you're shooting fast (e.g. fashion) and if you need Live Preview you're shooting slooow like Still Life product.

The more information you give the community the more the community can give you to you!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

T.Karma

Can you tell us for what application you'll be using Live Preview and/or the application in general? I ask because it's unusual to need minimum shutter lag AND Live Preview. Usually if you need minimum lag you're shooting fast (e.g. fashion) and if you need Live Preview you're shooting slooow like Still Life product.

The more information you give the community the more the community can give you to you!

Thanks. Yes, your question is right. Naturally, I do not need both things at the same time.

Live Preview is wanted for product shooting.
The low shutter lag is needed for my travel and stage photography, specially music performances. I know that no MF cam is really fast - for this I still have a Canon. But however far the DB back can go - that will be prefered. I do not have any preferance in Megapixel count, anything over 20 MP is just fine. At the moment though, I am a bit partial to the look of the Dalsa 9 mic. chip that is in the Aptus and Sinar back.

Schmiddi

At the moment though, I am a bit partial to the look of the Dalsa 9 mic. chip that is in the Aptus and Sinar back.
If you don't want / can't go to MACs, then you should be careful with Sinar - I was close to rent one and had to learn, that there is no way to work with the RAW-files without a MAC (or I did miss something?).

Greetings,
Andreas

thomas

travel and stage photography, specially music performances.
first you should find out if the high ISO capabilites of DBs are good enough for these purposes (I'd say no). Note that you also need faster shutter speeds with MFDB when shooting handheld.
As to shutter lag the Contax in conjunction with a P21+ (18MP) has literally no lag. I think it's probably the same with the P40+.
ISO400 of the P21+ is quite good!
I have no overview which of the Phase backs work with live view on Windows. If I remember correctly Capture One 3.7.8 for Windows supports Live View for the P21+ (but not for the P40+).

T.Karma

first you should find out if the high ISO capabilites of DBs are good enough for these purposes (I'd say no). Note that you also need faster shutter speeds with MFDB when shooting handheld.
Thomas,

I was doing it already with film and iso 200 works for my purposes. The ensembles I shoot are well lit - no dark Jazz clubs or funky disco lightning. As already said, for critical situ there is still the Canon.

As to shutter lag the Contax in conjunction with a P21+ (18MP) has literally no lag. I think it's probably the same with the P40+.
ISO400 of the P21+ is quite good!
I have no overview which of the Phase backs work with live view on Windows. If I remember correctly Capture One 3.7.8 for Windows supports Live View for the P21+ (but not for the P40+).
That is good news. Could someone please confirm that live preview C1 3.7.8 works well with the P21+ on Windows. ?!

Henry Goh

If you are looking to shoot fast, take a look at Guy Mancuso's recent thread on using the P40+ in sensor plus mode.

T.Karma

If you are looking to shoot fast, take a look at Guy Mancuso's recent thread on using the P40+ in sensor plus mode.
Thank you.
Otherwise - no more Contax users who can tell which back is responsive?

Anyone has tested the new Aptus II 5 ? I know it is an older design chip, but the files look good (so far samples are available on the net). Price is also attractive.
How about the Leaf software on Windows? Any experiences?

Questions, questions .....

T.Karma

Come on, boys and girls......... :rolleyes:
Share you experiences please, if not for this dumb new forum member (me ;)), then maybe for the rest of the other users.
This question is covered nowhere else and I cant imagine fotographers here are indifferent to this topic.

1. Which DB back causes the least shutter delay (any camera combo)?
2. Is there any chance to get live view working decently under Windows?

- Tranquil

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Come on, boys and girls......... :rolleyes:
Share you experiences please, if not for this dumb new forum member (me ;)), then maybe for the rest of the other users.
This question is covered nowhere else and I cant imagine fotographers here are indifferent to this topic.

1. Which DB back causes the least shutter delay (any camera combo)?
2. Is there any chance to get live view working decently under Windows?

- Tranquil
All Phase One P+ backs can do Live View in Windows. The P40+ and P65+ have a faster/cleaner/generally-better Live View than the other P+ backs owing the advantage Dalsa sensors have (generally speaking) in reading out for Live View.

The Live View is very useful/practical for still-life / product photography in-studio and for most interior shooting and are next-to-useless for anything outdoors in bright sunlight. The look is not great (lots of noise and color artifacts in the Live View - of course none of that is present in a full capture) but are functionally very useful.

Capture One on Windows and Capture One on Mac are nearly identical and are released with near feature-parity on each update (this has been true since early version 4).

Shutter lag on a contax with a P or P+ back is next-to-nothing and feels very tactile and nearly instant.

The Aptus-II 5 has gotten a lot of attention due to it's very attractive entry-level price. For those that don't need higher resolution the Aptus-II 5 offers all the features/niceties of the latest generation Leaf backs, compatibility with both Leaf Capture and Capture One, and a new condition back with warranty with dealer support and service (very important especially if it's your first digital back). The sensor is a bit older, but the image quality from that sensor is top notch and easily exceeds the quality of similar resolution dSLRs at low ISOs. However, I've not personally used one on the Contax so I cannot speak first-hand about it's shutter lag or Live View.

Doug

Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

T.Karma

Doug,

Thanks you have taken the time to answer.
The Aptus II 5 is probably too new to expect any user reviews, however I will probably check this one out in the coming weeks. 22MP for me is enough and sensor size is ok.

regards,

Tranquil

gogopix

Subscriber
Here's one of the 'boys':D

OI have used P45+ and P65+ I can tell you the P65+ with zero latency really improves - no more 'wake up' no delay for the sensor to get ready

I suppose you want to know two things

1. how quickly will LV sho
2. how quickly will shutter release

I will be checking that on my Contax and also with an Alpa and a TrueWide sliding back. I have used the P65+ on all three and response is very quick. The Copal shutters on the Alpa and TW seem to work very easily with the P65+

I don't use LV much because of the laptop needed. However I just got a small Lenova with a FW and will be testing. I am curious how quickly the LV will rendr on a 1.6G chip

regards
victor

PS Glad to hear from another, I assume VERY happy, Contax 645 user! :thumbs:

T.Karma

Hi Victor, now that you have replied you will be counted as a good boy! :salute: :)

I was surprised actually that a review of shutter response was not discussed before. I thought that it is one of the key factors in photography.

The P65+ surely is very nice, but far far out of reach for me. However, please do review, for others may be interested in this one.

Regarding wake up: Do I understand correctly that wake up is not needed for the P65+ cause it is a Dalsa chip technology?

Yes, 1 and 2 are the things where Mfg's remain silent on their product advertising.

Looking forward to hear about your findings.

PS.: As for the Contax: I am still amazed how much Kyocera has got right in their first and only release. Still have some hopes that one day, .... :bugeyes:
But we dont want to :deadhorse: here, right ?

One thing is for sure though: The Contax brand is still a potential business name and wherever Washington is on the horizon....:thumbup:.