The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The MF kit...ideas and reasons...

LJL

LJ,

I think we can all agree that no one camera does it all. I think you have to prioritize what are the most important features for you to have on your system, and list them linearly or at least grouped linearly, with the intent of trading off "lower" groups for "higher" groups. For example, your main festures could be (in random order here):

Shutter speed range (and possibly granularity, like 1/3 stop?... 1/10 stop?)
Max Flash Sync (and flash capabilities in general)
Autofocus capability (including focus confirmation of manual lenses)
Lens selection (e.g., 28mm a must? 300/2.8 a must? APO lenses? ...)
Adaptability for alternative lenses (e.g., Hasselblad V on Contax 645...)
Format (6x6 or 645)
Viewfinder selection (Waist Level Finder availability?)
Mirror Lock-up (or Mirror Pre-release?)
Technical movements (e.g., bellows, t/s lenses, t/s adapters)
Size, Weight, Hand-hold ability
Cost

I explicitly left out MFDB considerations. This is because I believe that ultimately a photographer interacts with his environment/subject through the lens. It is how he chooses to render that moment in time, whether it be freezing the action or creating a sense of motion or narrowing the DOF to emphasize a particular subtlty....etc. The selection of a MFDB should follow and support your choice of how you wish to capture your images.

In some sense, it is similar to film choice. I don't know of anyone who first decided on a film choice, and then built their camera system around that.
These are only my opinions of course. In reality, economics may force you one way or another. But at least, you should have a vision of where you would like to be.
David,
All good points, and I agree with the prioritization concept. I also agree that the glass, and how it renders things is very important. The harder part may be knowing those various nuances among the various lenses, just as it is with the Leica lenses. Since most of the glass is pretty decent already, the issue may be more of really figuring compatibilities.

I understand what you are saying about the backs not driving the choices in systems, but this is getting back to some of my other questions about what some systems are now delivering through firmware and software, and that may or may not be translated to some backs over others. The case in point is HC lenses on a Hasselblad body going to a Sinar or Phase back. If all the data goes to the files, then it could be extracted and used. If it does not, some of the advantages of the camera/lens may be lost. This is the part where I think the film analogy breaks down, since the backs are now a more integral part of the system and also have their own thing going on. This is the part that it really not clearly spelled out anywhere, but folks with experience know from using things. (Hasselblad, by closing its H3DII system has really brought this point to mind, and its Phocus software looks to underscore that. Not saying it is good or bad, just that all of that earlier interchangeability is coming into question a bit more.)

This is a very helpful discussion and train of thinking.

LJ

atanabe

Al,
Thanks for sharing your selections and kit build. Your rationale on price, weight and availability of components is not lost, and your selection of things looks to cover a lot of ground for a fairly compact kit.

May I assume that your target use is more personal, plus having the ability to contract work as needed? Not that this is prying or critical, but sometimes it helps to understand selections by knowing what folks are shooting or are planning to shoot. Your gear sounds light and portable enough for travel and easy use, as you mentioned the SWC as a good walk around tool. I recall wanting that camera when it first came out. At the time, I was heavy into shooting Nikon professionally, and had just unloaded my Hasselblads that I used in the studio. My "love affair" with the SWC never really died, I guess.

Sounds like you are comfortable with your choices also, and that is good to hear.

LJ
LJ,
My use is personal, and my intent was to have the highest quality output at the best price. Weight was a consideration in this kit, as mentioned, my Nikon set, D1x, 20, 70-200 VR, 85TS, 17-55, is very heavy. When the M8 came out, it replaced the Nikon as my travel set.
While I love the image quality from the M8, a range finder is not made for macro applications. So when evaluating a higher resolution solution, the low prices of the Hasselblad lenses and adaptability of the V system to various MFDB companies was very appealing. Now that the prices of the MFDB backs are more inline with high end 35 DSLRs, I felt that it was a time to switch.

Al

David K

Workshop Member
Probably been covered already but the choice of camera is a factor which can impact which system you choose. I found the menu driven Hasselblad less to my liking than what I considered the less complex Contax. Sort of like the difference between the Leica and the Nikon D3. I've gone nuts looking for the D Lighting selection in the Nikon menu and that's on a camera where you can actually see the screen. Even with a screen shade I find the Aptus unreadable for anything but the histo if I'm outdoors in sunlight.

PeterA

".. H series cameras are "limited" to lenses with leaf shutters only, even with their CF adapter. And, to be fair the Hy6 is also limited to leaf shutter lenses only..."

yes and what a limit it is ..a bunch of crappy glass for sure - totaling how many CF/CFE lenses? oh and then the equally crappy H series lenses totaling how many lenses? :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

People should remember to consult their DOF charts to understand that even an f3.5 'wide open' aperture delivers a very very thin focal plane on even a 150mm H series lens used as close as ten feet...this reality is made worse in some ways ( two edged sword) by teh resolving power of the backs..any slip up in technique and you will pay for it.. :)

Last edited:

fotografz

Probably been covered already but the choice of camera is a factor which can impact which system you choose. I found the menu driven Hasselblad less to my liking than what I considered the less complex Contax. Sort of like the difference between the Leica and the Nikon D3. I've gone nuts looking for the D Lighting selection in the Nikon menu and that's on a camera where you can actually see the screen. Even with a screen shade I find the Aptus unreadable for anything but the histo if I'm outdoors in sunlight.
This is obviously a highly subjective area of discussion and there can be no right or wrong, best or worst ... only preference based on experience.

IMO however, one needs the experience to make any declarative call concerning operational and functional capabilities.

How much experience have you had shooting with an H camera David?

It's actually quite a simple camera to master. All of the most used functions are button based and located for control with the right thumb (exposure control) and index finger (flash control and AF selection) . I can adjust exposure mode, exposure compensation, flash compensation, AF mode and lock AE, or any function I've assigned to the user button ... without removing my eye from the viewfinder. For these operational functions I never look at a menu ... it's all in the viewfinder and visible in any light bright or dark. It takes about 20 minutes to get it all down pat.

The more complex grip menu based functions are for less used stuff the Contax 645 doesn't even offer and never will ... like altering mirror delay, strobe delay functions and the like ... plus anything else they decide to add via firmware updates later.

As far as digital is concerned, if you put a digital back on a Contax, you are into menu control anyway ... so it depends on the back you chose.

David K

Workshop Member
My experience with the H camera was limited to about an hour of testing during which time the back wasn't functioning properly due to a recent firmware upgrade. It was unfortunate timing since all those issues have been subsequently resolved and Hasselblad has come a long way in the past few years. There's no question in my mind that the H camera can do everything the Contax can... and more. The point I was trying to make is that they do it differently. As far as the menu system on my Aptus back, the only thing I use it for is formatting and changing the ISO.

BJNY

THANKS to everyone for a truly GREAT thread
filled with intelligent, thoughtful comments
and without axes to grind, and blind brand-loyalty.