The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why do you use MF? or: I am in the MF crisis...

Paratom

Where can one actually purchase the Artech, and do they offer Mamiya plates yet?
I would call/mail Sinar in Switzerland and ask them for the US.
After some reoranization Sinar has now also sales and service contacts for me directly in Germany - and people in both countries (Switzerland and Germany) are really nice and helpful.

I just asked if it is possible to build a Artec from Hy6 mount to V-Mount and it is possible. I dont know if they offer Mamiya mount allready, or only Hy6 and V-mount of today.

Overall I am very happy with Sinar people and help here in Germany. Also everything I bought so far was very open and nice communication plus delievered and demonstrated to my home place.

The Sinar website says for USA:
USA Bron Imaging Group
17 Progress Street
Edison, N.J. 08820
Phone: (+1) 908 754 58 00
Fax: (+1) 908 754 58 07
E-Mail: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It would drive me crazy as hell to focus for infinity all the time without helical focus mount!
Yup. Precisely the issue. What I need simply isn't available and why I don't own a tech camera yet!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The Sinar website says for USA:
USA Bron Imaging Group
17 Progress Street
Edison, N.J. 08820
Phone: (+1) 908 754 58 00
Fax: (+1) 908 754 58 07
E-Mail: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Unfortunately I have had only bad experiences with Bron US -- won't return calls, won't respond to questions via email -- seriously, they may as well not even have representation here.

Paratom

It would drive me crazy as hell to focus for infinity all the time without helical focus mount! I've adjusted my Digitar very carefully to my DB and it's dead on at infinity. Infinity is safe ground - that's a very good feeling! :D
Of course you could engrave marks on the rail for the infinity setting of each lens. But is that really accurate enough with your P65+? I doubt so...

on an arTec these lenses make perfectly sense. But the Digitars (beside the symetrical design) are light and small... if this is what you are up to.
The Artec Rodenstock lenses infinity is calibrated for the Artec- so when you turn the focus to the end you are exactly at infinity.

Size of the lenses also depends on focal length.
The 35mm Rodenstock is not that bad.
I prefer the faster lenses plus not to need to use a center filter.

Paratom

Unfortunately I have had only bad experiences with Bron US -- won't return calls, won't respond to questions via email -- seriously, they may as well not even have representation here.
Sorry to hear that. If you are really interested I would just call in Switzerland directly and ask.

thomas

The Artec Rodenstock lenses infinity is calibrated for the Artec- so when you turn the focus to the end you are exactly at infinity.
Yes, I know. That's a good thing!
The question remains how accurate will be the calibration for a Hassy-, Leaf- or Phase-Back in different mounts. The Cambo lenses ship calibrated as well - however my Contax-Mount Phase Back didn't match the calibration exactly. So I fine-tuend it by myself...

I prefer the faster lenses plus not to need to use a center filter.
I don't use a center filter with my Digitar either.
Faster lenses means better viewing conditions on the GG as well - that's a clear upside of the Rodentock HRs.
Downside is mustache distortion. The Digitars distort as well (slightly) - but the distortion correction software has less to interpolate when the capture shows only slight linear distortion - IMO. But that's just a guess based on my experience with other lenses - I've never compared a 40mm Rodentsock with a 47XL Digitar (unfortunately).
Besides the image circle of the 47XL (and the upcoming 43XL) is really huge and sometimes I use all of it when stitching.
So... different tools... :)

David K

Workshop Member
If you say the Hassy 203 has the brightest viewfinder/easiest to focus-would this also apply for the 205? Are you saying that Hassy viewfinder is brighter than the Rollei?
It's not so much a question of being brighter as much as it is that the viewfinder on the Hassy 203 just snaps into focus. I had the 205 for a while, and sold it because I just didn't use it. The finder on that camera was remarkable as well. It's not a question of the camera, 203 vs 205, it's a question of which finder you get. Mine is a vertical split image with microprism collar which Son (who sources these for me) tells me is quite expensive... well worth whatever it costs IMHO.

As far as the 110mm lenses go I can't really say I have much of a preference between the Rollei and Hassy versions. I like the size of the Hassy but that silky smooth focusing on the Rollei is very special. If size is a major consideration consider shooting the Hassy 110 version on the Contax 645 with a MAM-1 (or better yet one of Son's adapters) works great if you don't mind stopping down the lens.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the HR Digirons have been designed with longer flange focals than their marked focal -- retrofocus designs actually. While this makes them physically larger than a symmetrical counterpart, it also allows for enough additional room between the lens and back for the movements...

Paratom

It's not so much a question of being brighter as much as it is that the viewfinder on the Hassy 203 just snaps into focus. I had the 205 for a while, and sold it because I just didn't use it. The finder on that camera was remarkable as well. It's not a question of the camera, 203 vs 205, it's a question of which finder you get. Mine is a vertical split image with microprism collar which Son (who sources these for me) tells me is quite expensive... well worth whatever it costs IMHO.
Here is on other area where I could get improvement-my screen right now is NOT split screen and no micro prisms just plain bright screen (standard Hy6). Maybe I should see to get a second screen with split screen for manual focus and maybe with micro prisms.

carstenw

Gotta love this! You come in here wondering about selling something, get consolation and advice, your wallet is out again :) Gear slut doesn't cover it, we're gear whores!

Paratom

Gotta love this! You come in here wondering about selling something, get consolation and advice, your wallet is out again :) Gear slut doesn't cover it, we're gear whores!
Carsten, as I wrote it I thought the same.

However to be frankly, if I did not have allready spent that much money in the MF I would take a different approach today.
I would not spend that much in money in such short time and first work with max 3 lenses.
My first start into MF was with a used ZD (integrated body) and 3 older lenses and in the end this might have been the point where I should have stopped.

Today I feel that once I have sorted out some issues (where I got a lot of help here) I still need to find out how it works for me.

Overall I am still in the process of reducing the amount of gear I own..... I allready started to pack some boxes to get them ready for sale.

Paratom

Just for the record - I spoke to Sinar Service yesterday and there seems to be hope that in case of my Hy6 body-ser.# and FW-Version Sinar can improve the AF-performance. So my Hy6 will travel to Sinar soon.

Even if I dont expect wonders I hope the AF will become usable from not being usable as it is right now.

carstenw

That is positive about the Hy6. Maybe if the AF issue is sorted, you then find how you want to use it.

What are you packing and selling, the D3x?

JSK Rangefinder

the same thing here.. I think it's just not worth going in Sinar direction
plus I have hard time selling some of my Sinar stuff anyways..

Paratom

the same thing here.. I think it's just not worth going in Sinar direction
plus I have hard time selling some of my Sinar stuff anyways..
Too bad that Sinar in the US seems to give such bad response - very good here in Germany, even during re-structuring process.

carstenw

Tom, could you email me the contact information to Sinar after the restructure? I should really send my back/adapter/camera in for a checkup.

Paratom

That is positive about the Hy6. Maybe if the AF issue is sorted, you then find how you want to use it.

What are you packing and selling, the D3x?
If I get a reasonable price the d3x will be part of it. I might replace it with a smaller and less expensive body, either a D700 or the D700II/X or however they will call it. I also might reduce the number of lenses I have for the Nikon.

Professional

I really don't know what to say, i just read the OP post and few posts after and i couldn't go and read the entire thread, English is not my first language and to read long thread and posts and try to translate most of it or read very slowly will take me ages to complete, that with many another threads i want to read.

Anyway, i really don't now why i joined this forum here as i don't feel i do anything here rather than reading, and even the shots i posted are not that appealing to most here as they all are pro level and have high end gear, so i just keep watching and reading.

I am so lost in Photography, and many people calling me crazy because i go with gear a lot and i still see myself i am beyond of many here in gear, and about the skill or talent, i am really don't care much about that because my situations are very bad and can't help for creativity and talented work, and many don't know about my bad situations and they keep telling me that i can do amazing regardless of my bad situations but really they don't know. I do my best always but really i need years and years but mostly i think i need to change my place of living as well.

I started late in photography, late 2005, first bought Nikon Coolpix 8800 then first DSLR Canon 350D, after that within about 2 years i bought 6 more Canon DSLRs, then last year i added H3DII-39mp to my collection, all my shots by this MF is just snapshots or test shots, maybe some of my daughters or family i like but nothing at all as pro level and many will tell me that i can do home studio with my family with any of my Canon DSLRs and enough [no need for MF], but it is a lust, this forum and LL making us to go with higher end gear even we don't need it, i added also 501CM [body only] and Mamiya RZ67II [Body only too] to have film camera, and i did that trade-in of my H3D for H4D, at the end i found myself i did nothing much in photography, didn't sell one photo, maybe get paid very few times but not enough at all for what i have, and i am a landscapes and outdoor addiction guy but not in my area, so i always or almost use my Canon 1DsII/1DsIII for my landscapes and i use MF only for indoors [studio, still life,...etc], so i really don't know what i can reply on your OP, i feel i am happy with gear only and i have some work that i am really happy with and proud, but looking at others who are selling work or have less gear and more work and even those who have too many gear regardless of their work i feel myself i am just in another planet alone, don't know what to do, i can't really work hard in photography to get better, i mean what i need to do if i read about all photography rules, conditions, art, story, feelings, ...etc and still nothing that can i compete with, all what i do is just to enjoy myself as some said and can't do what some others telling me to compete and start pro world.

I am very happy with my MF even i don't use it that much [and i am sure i used it less than yours even with my DSLRs].

carstenw

Professional, I find it interesting that you feel that your results are not as good as those of many of the pros here (I feel the same), but at the same time, you took the userid "Professional"? Why not just use your name?

Anyway, I am not quite sure what your main message was. Although you do seem to be satisfied in the end, given your equipment, your results and your situation in total, there is also some uncertainty and insecurity about how good your photos are. If I recall correctly, you have posted some nice portraits of your daughter here? Clearly you have some skill.

I read a quote by Ansel Adams that he reckoned that he got 12 good shots per year. 12! Ansel Adams! I agree with him, I get about 12 good shots per year, but not Ansel Adams-good :)

---

I had feelings of insecurity about my photography not being so great for a long time. I took many photos, but drifted style-wise, trying this and that, some street, some landscape, some architecture, some travel, some animals, but never really found anything to keep my interest permanently, and I didn't grow much, I just got technically better with time. There were some really good shots in between which kept me going, but never with any regularity, and there was a lot of mediocre shots in between the good ones, not to speak of plain bad ones.

Recently, I lived close to a little cemetary and made it a habit of walking through it with a camera on my way to work each morning. Slowly I started exploring the cemetary's corners, and the various motifs in it. My results slowly improved, but somehow my interest was steady the whole time. Something about the quiet place, the lack of people and noise, the slightly old feel and the materials in a cemetary, and the fallen stones, the rusted fences and so on fed my creativity.

I moved a bit further away, the side entrance I used was closed off, and I stopped going there. After a while, I started make special trips there to make more photos again, this time not with my Canon 5D (which I sold because I never warmed up to the results), nor with my M8 (which isn't really the right camera for tight framing and close-ups), but with my new-old Contax 645 AF and 35mm and 120mm Makro lenses, high-res B&W film, and a tripod. I reshot my old favorites, and started exploring more, and this time the results started feeling good. I started visiting other cemetaries, and each time, it takes me about an hour to get into my flow, but then I continue on my project and my collection of good shots is slowly growing.

At some point, I decided to make a formal, long-term project out of it: Old Cemetaries of Berlin. At some point, I will have done enough, and will end it properly, but for now, it is still going strong.

Oddly, for the first time in a long time (forever?), my gear-lust abated. The Contax 645 AF, 35mm and 120mm were simply enough. I got all that I wanted with them, and the 55mm, 210mm and 350mm lenses which I had considered never got bought. I did get into situations where I wished I had some movements, to avoid a tree but still get a squared-up result, to straighten some perspective lines, to tilt the focus plane, and so now I have decided to get a 4x5 field camera, with 90mm and 210mm lenses, and continue my project with them, perhaps re-shooting the best of the shots which I could have done better with movements.

Another odd thing that happened is that I stopped caring that much what other people thought of my shots. I feel that they are good, that they are right, and it pleases me if others like them, but if not, oh well, not important. They are good to me. I never felt like that before.

I have now started thinking about other favorite shots as projects as well, and I think I know what my next project will be when this one is done, but it can wait. 1 year, 2 years, however long, until I am done with this one, and ready for the next. I think I might even know what the project after the next is going to be :) Somehow my thinking about photography is completely changed. I separated casual and serious photography completely, and enjoy it much more as a result.

---

I, of course, make other photos in between, with other cameras, but I have no other serious projects, and the quality of the other shots is less crucial, just my project shots must, for me, be really good.

Long boring story, but here is my point: just keep shooting, and explore different things. At some point, you will find something which holds your interest for more than one visit. go back, and keep going back. Find the best kit for that situation and keep shooting it. Build up the understanding of the kit, the subject and the quality of the shots.

Sooner or later in the growth of every photographer, I think a point comes when it is no longer about experimenting with this or that genre, but about projects with specific themes. One can of course have multiple projects going at the same time, but one at a time has a special power, I think.

Here is one shot from my project which I really like. I do need to clean the negative and rescan it. There are loads of little dust spots on my current scan.

View attachment 27160

Last edited: