The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Few basic MF questions - Hasselblad 500 body related

proenca

Ok I have a few idiotic, newbie and silly questions that relate to the fact that I never shoot with a MF camera before and I'm about to buy a Hasselblad 500, mainly due to the fact that I can try the medium and learn a bit about it, before upgrading straight to a digital MF path which costs an arm, liver and a leg ( and I only have one of each being a Leica devotee ) ...

So, I read as much as I can but you dont have much "amateur Hasselblad" pages around and sometimes some basic questions are hard to get an answer unless I ask to the users, apologise in advance if this is too basic for this forum :) :

- DoF preview, does the 500 camera have one ? Or only some specific models ?
- I've read ( although only on one website ) that CF lens have a focal plane shutter, meaning it stays open ( similar to SLR's ) - true on any 500 body ? Or only specific bodies ? Ie, after taking the shot.
- any website with specific information about different type of lens ? I get the idea of C/CT/CF/CFE/CFI lens ( shutter changes, focal lenght, coatings etc ) but I cant find specific information how much better or visually the difference between, lets say a Zeiss C 80mm 2.8 vs Zeiss CF 80mm 2.8. This is something rather easy to do for example, for Leica lenses with a bit of google here and there but I'm finding hard to do with Hassy lens - I'm I looking in the wrong places ?
- 500 CM bodies are limited to a 1/500 speed correct ? Meaning if I want faster than that I have either to increase the aperture of the lens ( so that exposure stays under 1/500 ) or use slower ISO film ( again... ) , correct ? or that is just flash sync and non flash sync can go up to ??
- for faster than 1/500 speed, I need to go to 200 versions of V Hasselblad , right ?
- EL 5xx bodies, that are the motor versions - can they be used without that chunk extra underneath, but putting a rewind crank ? I see many great deals for EL bodies but I found them too big
- lens conversion... I understand that a 80mm MF lens ( 6x6 ) is roughly a 50mm in 35mm terms and due to the circle of confusion, the 2,8 aperture is somewhere around a 1.4 in 35mm terms. Is there a straight conversion ? What is in MF world a 18-21mm ? the 30mm and 40mm Distagons ?
- Chrome vs Black - for every website I see , a chrome 'Blad is always cheaper than the exact same thing in black. Why ?!?! Leica chrome lenses are heavier and usually more rare but that is well documented... in Blad world cant find anything ? a 501 CM with WLF + lens + A12 costs 500 chrome or 650 in black.. and they both say MINT.. and all the dealers I saw..
- Saw some rumors that Chrome lens are out of parts to repair, how true is that ? Some people say BS others say chrome lens cannot be repaired anymore ?
- Seen a lot of comments that people dont like the Kiev88 metered prism but cant understand why ? Seem a good alternative to the PME Blad prisms who ended up costing 10x as much .. apart from the poor construction, what else ? less bright ? difficult to archieve focus ?
- let see if I get this straight - on V camera, its comprised from these parts :
BODY
WLF Finder ( or prism )
A12 MAGAZINE
LENS
correct ?I'm missing someting ? Instead of perhaps going directly to a complete 500CM kit, I might buy a 503CW body only, for the same price and then buy afterwards the rest of the parts - which are the ones listed, correct ?

Last but not least the dumbest of them all :

The WLF is SLR like, ie, it does change with the lens perspective correct ? Or is rangefinder like, the view is the same and we have to change the screens ? I belive since is a view through lens camera, the perspective should change when we swap lenses.

Sorry to all if these questions bother or make you laugh but I'm doing my homework here but need a bit of a push ! Any help appreciated ! :)

carstenw

I took the liberty of numbering your questions, so we can answer them more easily:

QUESTIONS:

1) DoF preview, does the 500 camera have one ? Or only some specific models ?

2) I've read ( although only on one website ) that CF lens have a focal plane shutter, meaning it stays open ( similar to SLR's ) - true on any 500 body ? Or only specific bodies ? Ie, after taking the shot.

3) any website with specific information about different type of lens ? I get the idea of C/CT/CF/CFE/CFI lens ( shutter changes, focal lenght, coatings etc ) but I cant find specific information how much better or visually the difference between, lets say a Zeiss C 80mm 2.8 vs Zeiss CF 80mm 2.8. This is something rather easy to do for example, for Leica lenses with a bit of google here and there but I'm finding hard to do with Hassy lens - I'm I looking in the wrong places ?

4) 500 CM bodies are limited to a 1/500 speed correct ? Meaning if I want faster than that I have either to increase the aperture of the lens ( so that exposure stays under 1/500 ) or use slower ISO film ( again... ) , correct ? or that is just flash sync and non flash sync can go up to ??

5) for faster than 1/500 speed, I need to go to 200 versions of V Hasselblad , right ?

6) EL 5xx bodies, that are the motor versions - can they be used without that chunk extra underneath, but putting a rewind crank ? I see many great deals for EL bodies but I found them too big

7) lens conversion... I understand that a 80mm MF lens ( 6x6 ) is roughly a 50mm in 35mm terms and due to the circle of confusion, the 2,8 aperture is somewhere around a 1.4 in 35mm terms. Is there a straight conversion ? What is in MF world a 18-21mm ? the 30mm and 40mm Distagons ?

8) Chrome vs Black - for every website I see , a chrome 'Blad is always cheaper than the exact same thing in black. Why ?!?! Leica chrome lenses are heavier and usually more rare but that is well documented... in Blad world cant find anything ? a 501 CM with WLF + lens + A12 costs 500 chrome or 650 in black.. and they both say MINT.. and all the dealers I saw..

9) Saw some rumors that Chrome lens are out of parts to repair, how true is that ? Some people say BS others say chrome lens cannot be repaired anymore ?

10) Seen a lot of comments that people dont like the Kiev88 metered prism but cant understand why ? Seem a good alternative to the PME Blad prisms who ended up costing 10x as much .. apart from the poor construction, what else ? less bright ? difficult to archieve focus ?

11) let see if I get this straight - on V camera, its comprised from these parts :
BODY
WLF Finder ( or prism )
A12 MAGAZINE
LENS
correct ?I'm missing someting ? Instead of perhaps going directly to a complete 500CM kit, I might buy a 503CW body only, for the same price and then buy afterwards the rest of the parts - which are the ones listed, correct?

12) The WLF is SLR like, ie, it does change with the lens perspective correct ? Or is rangefinder like, the view is the same and we have to change the screens ? I belive since is a view through lens camera, the perspective should change when we swap lenses.

Last edited:

carstenw

ANSWERS:

1) The DoF preview is on the lens, not on the camera. The F/FE lenses have it, and I think that all lenses have it, except the SWA/SWC, but I am not sure. Please confirm.

2) A focal plane shutter lives in a camera, just in front of the focal plane, hence the name. The Hasselblad 500-series cameras don't have one, but each lens has a leaf shutter, or central shutter. This is simply a shutter built around a mechanism similar to an aperture, and has nothing to do with whether it stays open or not after the shot. The older Hasselblad cameras do not return the mirror after the shot, and you have to wind first. I believe all 500-series bodies fall into this category, perhaps someone can confirm. My 2000FC/M does have an instant return mirror, as do the 200-series bodies.

4+5) Yes, the 500-series bodies have a maximum shutter speed (and flash sync speed) of 1/500s. That is where they get their name from. The 2000-series have 1/2000s, and the 200-series have 1/2000s as well, except the 201F and 202FA, I believe, which have 1/1000s. Keep in mind that you need a smaller aperture for the same depth of field as 135 cameras, so you might need to stop down anyway. Getting enough light for hand-held MF is often an issue. I always use a tripod.

6) The EL cameras have a fixed motor, and cannot be used without.

7) There is no straight conversion, since the different aspect ratio of the negatives affects how we perceive wide angle, but a 21mm in 135 is about a 35/40mm in 645/6x6. There is no 35mm for the Hasselblad, so 40mm is the closest (other than the very expensive SWA/SWC models with a fixed 38mm lens). The 30mm lens is a fisheye.

8) I think black is less common. I prefer chrome and don't break my heart over this :)

9) For a more authoritative answer to this, visit the hasselbladinfo.com forums. I think some C lenses are out of spare parts, but am not aware of any CF and newer lenses in that situation. I would recommend CF and newer anyway, especially with 2000- or 200-series cameras, which are not guaranteed to work with the sloppier tolerances of the older C lenses. I nearly had an 80C stuck on my 2000FC/M once. Never again!

11) Correct, except that the A12 film back is just one possibility. There are older 12 backs, and also A16 backs for 645, etc. There are also more advanced backs for 200-series cameras, and an FCC back for the 205TCC/FCC.

12) The Hasselblad is an SLR, i.e. you look through the lens, yes. Note that with the waist-level finder the view is reversed, side-to-side, but is the right way up. A prism gives a normal image, like on an (D)SLR.

Last edited:

proenca

Carsten, thanks in a million for your time & patience. Followed your tip and posted in the hforum as well :) Thanks !

fotografz

There are 2 types of Hasselblad V cameras: the 500 series C type and the 200 series F type.

The 500 type camera can only use the C type lenses ... "C" stands for Central Leaf Shutter located in the each different lens. There is no shutter in a 500 series camera ... there is a light baffle that some people mistake for a shutter ... but it isn't. The top shutter speed of a 500 series camera lens is 1/500th, and flash will sync at all of those speeds. As mentioned, the stop down lever is located on the lens on C type lenses. There is no meter in a 500 camera ... metered prisms can be used. The Hasselblad ones are quite accurate and generally brighter for easier focusing. Without a metered prism, or when using a waist level finder, you have to use a hand meter. The 503CW camera means it uses C lenses and can take a Winder. It also has a TTL flash meter in it when used with the proper flash. This is NOT a TTL exposure light meter, just an automatic flash meter to control the flash output TTL.

The 200 series does have a Shutter in the camera, and it also has a TTL exposure meter. It uses F or FE type lenses which do not have the central shutter. These lenses tend to offer a wider maximum aperture. Top shutter speed is 1/2000th with a flash sync speed of 1/90th. However, you can also use C type lenses on a 200 series camera which bypasses the camera's focal plane shutter and uses the central leaf shutter in the C lens to provide up to 1/500th flash sync speed. The 200 camera has a TTL flash meter like the 503CW.

Black V cameras are not the best choice IMHO ... the black is just painted over the chrome edging of the regular 500 chrome camera and chips off easily.

When buying film backs for a V camera make sure that the film back housing serial number matches serial number of the film winder insert inside.

Hope this helps.

-Marc

Professional

And where i can find a 503CW body only [NEW NEW NEW] without another else?
If you can find one for me please let me know

carstenw

They say that you need to ask for countries outside of Europe.

Note that I posted the list more to show how high the new prices are than to recommend it. I would strongly recommend to buy as-new, and save loads of money.

fotografz

Look in the for sale section here ... there is V stuff that's like new offered by trusted members for very good prices.

carstenw

:D You can only satisfy a Hasselblad fetish in that place if you also have fat wallet disease :) I know the place because they advertise the 503CWD regularly in some magazines I read here, and I always take time to read the price :)

Eoin

.... I know the place because they advertise the 503CWD regularly.....
So I see we're (both you and me) looking at the same thing.... hum!.
It kind of looks like buy a CFV39 and get a free 503CW. Only problem is I want a 205FCC that's converted to use a CFV. I've missed a few 203 with CFV II because I can't make my mind up :banghead:.

I'm kind of thinking a full square format is not far away, however the price will be well out of my fetish reach. :toocool:

carstenw

I am not looking at getting a 503CWD any more, but at one point I was thinking about it a lot. Yes, for a 203FE with a FF square sensor and a price for which I could keep one arm with at least one finger (to press the shutter), I would happily sell my entire Contax kit and the 2000FC/M. I know that there would be no replacement for either 35 Distagon or 120 Makro at the same level of quality, but for the benefits I would do it anyway.

carstenw

Professional, why would you save for the 503CWD? You already have an H3D, right? You should stop buying so much and start shooting more, I think.

Professional

Professional, why would you save for the 503CWD? You already have an H3D, right? You should stop buying so much and start shooting more, I think.
You are right, but where and what to shoot more? ;)

I want to have 503CW not 503CWD, i don't that with digital back, i want only 503CW which film body only, not looking for digital MF as i have one already as you said.