The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD III stopped sleeping - now eats batteries!

faneuil

My mamiya AFD III (attached to a phase one P45 back) now eats batteries.
It used to go into sleep mode if I had forgotten to turn the camera off, but now it doesn't seem to sleep anymore -- and runs it 6 AA batteries to the ground.
Especially painful when I have filled it with pricey lithium AA batteries.

any ideas? I can't find any settings to alter auto-off feature.

much thanks,
Eric

Eden

I don't know if my experience is relevant, but I had the same problem (with on-off button switched off) three years ago when I changed from film to digital with the Mamiya AFD and a P-21. Capture Integration recommended I speak with a Mamiya tech rep (914 347-3300) who had me send in both the body and my 105-210 lens. It turned out there was some firmware communication glitch between the lens and the body. I don't understand the technology, but they fixed the problem and my lithium batteries last many months. Subsequent back and lens upgrades have continued to work with excellent battery life.

Lynn Noah

faneuil

Interesting -- not sure why this problem just appeared. I haven't changed anything.
Out of curiosity, how long should the AFD III wait before going to 'sleep' ?
Also - should the battery indicator stay on if the camera is truly asleep?

I changing one thing at at a time (film back, digital back, no back, various lenses) and trying to figure out if it actually goes to sleep without blowing through set after set of batteries.

thanks,
Eric