The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy H4D/40 Release

fotografz

Thanks for your thoughts Jack. I know were only talking a couple of mills in the difference, i guess the only way to tell the difference is to actually see the difference, obvious i know, i plan on trying them both with a 28mm as soon as the h4d40 hits the streets.

As for resale value, who knows what anything is going to be worth in three years! Of course you have to try and 'hedge your bets' but i feel that any money spent on anything digital really has to be written off over 3-4 years. I dont really see that many used mfd systems on the market lately anyhow. (either the users dont need to upgrade or dont feel like giving them away for a third of the purchase cost- i wouldnt!)
Not many used ones ... yet.

Most are being traded because both Phase One and Hasselblad had great trade-up promotions.

I would think those traded units will show up somewhere eventually. Some excellent values I would bet.

-Marc

fotografz

Is it? ... In comparison, yes. But has MF pricing ever been reasonable before?
Of course this price will spice up the market. So, the next month' time to come will be interesting.

However, if HB is attracting now the high end DSLR users camp, it may be be to their own dissadvantage. How long then Canon, Nikon, Sony will watch it?

It is all about strategy I guess.
Well, Canon, Nikon and Sony are stuck with a 35mm film gate size and awkward aspect ratio.

RE: IQ: If you think a 35 meg, 35mm CMOS sensor with a less usable aspect ratio ...can equal a 40 meg near 645 sized CCD sensor with an aspect ratio more conducive to real world applications, I'd suggest giving a MFD camera a try to see the difference first hand.

-Marc

fotografz

Not sure I would call this a "DSLR killer" over being more of a potential S2 killer or other MF cannabalizer :angel: From the glimpse of the final image after the short video, which may or may not be the actual new camera, it looks like a normal H4D body. However, the one quick glimpse of the shutter release in the video looks more like a different body style. Really teasing at this point.

The price point definitely looks attractive, and if it can use most of the Hassy lenses, etc., it would be a very interesting entry. (Wondering about the 28/4 on it, as that is about as wide as one might need, but finding that to be falling short of maybe the Canon 17mm f4L TSE on maybe a coming 1DsMkIV at maybe 30-35MP :D...)

Really looking forward to the specs on this thing for sure :toocool:

LJ
"May be a DSLR Killer ... for some".

My shooting partner is one of them ... and I do not think he is alone.

Part of the "Killer" aspect will be all the P30+. P45+, and H3D/H3D-Iis that'll be coming on-line at attractive pricing. I'll bet a low use 39 meg
kit will be around $10 or 11K soon ... compared to a $8K Canon/Nikon Pro camera.

IMO, MFD will never replace 35mm for certain applications ... but the same is true for the other-way-around.

BTW, I'll take a Schneider or Rodenstock HDR optic on a tech camera with MFD Back over any 35mm T/S set-up when it comes to pure IQ.

-Marc

Aaron

Not many used ones ... yet.

Most are being traded because both Phase One and Hasselblad had great trade-up promotions.

I would think those traded units will show up somewhere eventually. Some excellent values I would bet.

-Marc
I would be surprised if the backs which were traded in show up on the used market, at least not on our used markets. The world is a big place, where did all the hassie backs that were traded in their promotions a couple of years ago all go to? And Phase ended their refurbished back sales too last year...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Rental houses, spares and the garbage can. Mostly get them off the used market to force new purchase. Marketing 102. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tech Specs.

Digital Features:

Sensor size: 40.0 Mpixels (7304×5478 pixels)

Sensor dimensions: 33.1×44.2 mm

Image size: RAW 3FR capture 50 MB on average. TIFF 8 bit: 120 MB

File format: Lossless compressed Hasselblad RAW 3FR

Shooting mode: Single shot

Color definition: 16 bit

ISO speed range: ISO 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600

Storage options: CF card type U-DMA (e.g. SanDisk extreme IV) or tethered to Mac or PC

Color management: Hasselblad Natural Color Solution

Storage capacity: 4 GB CF card holds 75 images on average

Capture rate: 1.1 seconds per capture. 33 captures per minute

Color display: Yes, 3 inch TFT type, 24 bit color, 230 400 pixels

Histogram feedback: Yes

IR filter: Mounted on CCD sensor

Acoustic feedback: Yes

Software: Phocus for Mac and Windows

Platform support: Macintosh: OSX. Windows: XP (32 and 64 bit), Vista (32 and 64 bit), Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit).

Host connection type: FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b)

View camera compatibility: Yes, Mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus.

Operating temperature: 0 - 45 °C / 32 - 113 °F

Dimensions: Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens: 153 x 131 x 213 mm [W x H x D]

Weight: 2290 g (Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens, Li-Ion battery and CF card)

Camera Features:

Camera type: Large sensor medium format DSLR

Lenses: Hasselblad HC/HCD lens line with integral central lens shutter.

Shutter speed range: 256 seconds to 1/800 second

Flash sync speed: Flash can be used at all shutter speeds.

Viewfinder options:

•HVD 90x: 90° eye-level viewfinder w. diopter adjustment (-5 to +3.5D). Image magnification 3.1 times. Integral fill-flash (G.No. 12 @ ISO100). Hot shoe for SCA3002-system flashes from Metz™.

•HV 90x: 90° eye-level viewfinder w. diopter adjustment (-4 to +2.5D). Image magnification 2.7 times. Integral fill-flash (G.No. 12 @ ISO100). Hot shoe for SCA3002-system flashes from Metz™.

•HVM: Waist-level viewfinder. Image magnification 3.2 times.

Focusing: Autofocus metering with passive central cross-type sensor. Ultra focus digital feedback. Instant manual focus override. Metering range EV 1 to 19 at ISO 100.

Flash control: Automatic TTL centre weighted system. Uses built-in flash or flashes compatible with SCA3002 (Metz™). Output can be adjusted from -3 to +3EV. For manual flashes a built-in metering system is available.

Exposure metering: Metering options: Spot, Centre Weighted and CentreSpot. Metering range Spot: EV2 to 21, Centre Weighted: EV1 to 21, CentreSpot: EV1 to 21

Power supply: Rechargeable Li-ion battery (7.2 VDC / 1850 mAh).

Film compatibility: No

rmueller

Seems like only the H4D-60 has the double res (460320 pixel) 3" TFT display.

Wondering why they don't have it in the 40 and 50 MP models ? Price ?

Regards,
Ralf

Sharokin

Seems like only the H4D-60 has the double res (460320 pixel) 3" TFT display.

Wondering why they don't have it in the 40 and 50 MP models ? Price ?

Regards,
Ralf
Actually it's the same five year old, 3" 230K pixel used in a Canon 40D.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmueller

As far as I know it will be on all H4Ds, not just the 40.

-Marc
Maybe Dave can clarify, the specs on the H4D50 say 230k and for the H4D60
say 460k (from the hasselblad.com site)
I'm looking for excuses to trade-in my "old" H3DII-31, although the TFT res.
is no killer argument, i'd like to know what the exact res. is. Oh well, maybe
i just attend one of those upcoming events...

Regards,
Ralf

fotografz

Maybe Dave can clarify, the specs on the H4D50 say 230k and for the H4D60
say 460k (from the hasselblad.com site)
I'm looking for excuses to trade-in my "old" H3DII-31, although the TFT res.
is no killer argument, i'd like to know what the exact res. is. Oh well, maybe
i just attend one of those upcoming events...

Regards,
Ralf
Darned if you aren't right ... the 50 specs say 230400 Pixels ... 1/2 the resolution of the 40 and 60.

I wonder if that's because the 50 back was already in production and the 40/60 are new?

-Marc

D

dhoelscher

The current trade in program document on HasselbladUSA.com doesn't mention the H4D-40 .... I'm assuming that there will eventually be a trade in/up ???

P. Chong

Anyone attended the Launch events? The reports I have seen so far have been very positive, but the camera looks like the H3dii...and the only innovation seems to be True Focus...wonder if Hassie will make that available to H3d as a firmware upgrade? Seems to me to be a software feature rather than a hardware one.

Thoughts?

David K

Workshop Member
Read the thread over on LL as well as some of the online pdf's. Not sure why this technology is claimed to work better on wide angle lenses. Thought they typically had greater DOF than longer focal lengths. Not being a trigonometry guy I wonder what the actual adjustment in distance is when shooting (vertical) a full length shot of a model with a normal lens, i.e. the difference in distance between the focus on the eyes and the recomposed shot.