The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy H4D/40 Release

Thanks Nick. That is what I expected.

In the end, the entire issue of focusing accuracy comes down to the consistent production of lenses with dead on focusing ability that neither are back-focused nor front-focused and in which every lens element is centered. Otherwise, the entire focusing chain is thrown off, as the True Focus mechanism will just propagate any such errors in the lens itself.

Leica seems to have to go to a lot of trouble to ensure their lens consistency. I am still curious as to how Hasselblad achieves the same thing, and without the same costly effort as Leica.

Basically, Fuji are extremely proficient at lens manufacture and often underestimated in this field.

Add this with mechanical precision of aligning the sensor, fine tuning of the AF system to compensate for any mechanical intolerances, compensation of the IR cover glass, AF compensation for different Apertures and True Focus...

...gives you a very good auto focus system.

David Klepacki

My question is why does it seem that so many Leica lenses are delivered that need to be sent back due to focusing issues? That "costly effort" doesn't appear to correlate directly with actual results. I'll forego the litany of Leica lens experiences ... suffice it to say that the theory of high production costs doesn't necessarily mean anything.

-Marc
Yep, exactly right. Focusing issues will always be there in any lens production, no matter who does it and how costly.

thomas

Graffitti to show ISO performance?
It's a bit hard to tell noise from the pigments ;)

However this one and the ISO1600 posted on Lum.Landscape are by far the best high ISO shots from MFD I've seen by now.

Would love to see some more high ISO samples of the H4D40...

T

tetsrfun

I wonder how much improvement is due to hardware and how much is Phocus 2.x. I recently intentionally underexposed at ISO 400 using my "ancient tech" CFV back and then "processed" using Phocus 2.x. I was surprised as how much better the noise levels were compared to my previous experience with ISO 400.

Steve

PeterA

So, Peter, is that the chracteristic of the H series that bubbles to the top, in your mind?:toocool:
No - bu tit is the funniest one liner I could think of after wading through this thread...

Haselblad has a very good total system - thta is what I liek about the system. Nothign is the 'best' it just all works together very well. - and no other system is any better.

The only problem I have is the clever way Hassselblad incorporate the improvements they wish to make in a way that forces upgrades of considerable cost. i would have been perfectly happy to keep my 39 megapixel back and just buy a body for example but now it is a choice of ugrading a body and a back - to get the benefit of the focus trick..

I am thinking an artec and a couple of rodenstocks will suit me better - same cost and now I can get an artec which will take my H back...