The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy H4D/40 Release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
http://www.hasselblad.com/countdown

At Hasselblad, we’ve been taking image quality to new and unexplored heights for over fifty years now. And now, we are proud to announce the launch of the new Hasselblad H4D-40, bringing ultimate image quality to an entirely new generation of photographers. The H4D-40 will help your photography to grow in ways you never dreamed possible.
As easy to use as any 35mm camera and featuring a 40 Megapixel Medium Format sensor, our easy to use new Phocus 2.0 software, and the new True Focus AF, the H4D-40 provides the perfect entry point into the Hasselblad world. The H4D-40 gives you full access to the entire Hasselblad system of software, lenses, and features and has been designed to meet the needs of the most demanding high-end commercial photographers – and yours.
We are launching the H4D-40 at special “hands-on” events in over 50 cities throughout the world starting February 10, 2010. To find a launch event near you click on the link to the right.
February 10th will also see the launch of an exciting new area on the Hasselblad website, the Hasselblad Owners’ Club. More info about this exciting addition to the Hasselblad world can also be found by clicking on the links to the right.
We look forward to seeing you on February 10th!

Hasselblad Medium Format DSLRs start at 11,995 EUR
(with 80mm HC lens)

Explore the Hasselblad Owners’ Club.
Find a Launch Event near you! Get your hands on the new H4D-40.

Guy Mancuso

Hassy owners club also

On February 10th, we are launching an exciting new addition to the Hasselblad experience. The Hasselblad Owners’ Club will provide a forum for Hasselblad owners to interact with Hasselblad representatives and each other, market their businesses, and share their photography with the world. The Hasselblad Owners Club will give Hasselblad photographers a direct communication channel to the professional photo industry and the over 1.4 million annual visitors to the Hasselblad website.
The Hasselblad Owners’ Club – Exclusive Access
Each Hasselblad photographer will be given online space on which to present a brief biography, share links to their studios or portfolios, and to show a selection of their images. Only registered Hasselblad owners will have full access to this exclusive area. Membership in the Hasselblad Owners Club will be free to any registered owner of a Hasselblad product.
The Hasselblad Owners’ Club – General Access
Members of the general public and all visitors to the site will be able to view photographer profiles and images and to browse photographers by type of photography or location.
Voting Area
Photographers can elect to have their images take part in a monthly voting process. Voting will be open to other registered owners only. Top ranking photographs will be prominently featured on the Hasselblad website.
This Months' Photos
The top ranked image each month will be displayed on the front page of the Hasselblad website and the photographer will be given a special profile interview and featured in our Hasselblad Showcase section.
Social Media and Links
Members of the Hasselblad Owners’ Club will be given full access to the Official Hasselblad Facebook site, the Hasselblad Forum, and access to special product offers via Twitter and other social media. A wide range of other Hasselblad social media channels will also be organized in one convenient portal.

fotografz

Hmmm, about $16,500. USD new ... without dealer dickering. That's getting interesting considering it's a H4D + lens with all the new functional goodies. May be a DSLR killer for some. Need to see the specs.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Marc I was wondering about that and says starts at 11995 euros but does that mean the HD3/31 or what. Maybe David can expand on that.

Hey Guy,

Looks like you beat me to it!

More details over the next few days. Ill put up €,£,$ pricing tomorrow when I am back to the office.

But yes, essentially an H4D40.

The interesting this is this is the Kodak TRUESENSE design CCD which is based on the 50MP except with the very useful addition of microlenses, giving 100-1600 ISO.

So think 50MP benefits with extra sensitivity. It is a really really nice sensor. Personally I like this combination a lot.

David

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I get half a page of whitespace on that page... what is the H4D40? An integrated MF DSLR similar to the Leica S2?

LJL

Hmmm, about $16,500. USD new ... without dealer dickering. That's getting interesting considering it's a H4D + lens with all the new functional goodies. May be a DSLR killer for some. Need to see the specs.

-Marc
Not sure I would call this a "DSLR killer" over being more of a potential S2 killer or other MF cannabalizer :angel: From the glimpse of the final image after the short video, which may or may not be the actual new camera, it looks like a normal H4D body. However, the one quick glimpse of the shutter release in the video looks more like a different body style. Really teasing at this point.

The price point definitely looks attractive, and if it can use most of the Hassy lenses, etc., it would be a very interesting entry. (Wondering about the 28/4 on it, as that is about as wide as one might need, but finding that to be falling short of maybe the Canon 17mm f4L TSE on maybe a coming 1DsMkIV at maybe 30-35MP :D...)

Really looking forward to the specs on this thing for sure :toocool:

LJ

proenca

Guy Mancuso, I officially hate you !

You are always bringing on these news... Price is very very attractive and if it is 12.000 euros for a H4D system, it is very interesting.

Since very unfortunatly we do not have a H4D show in Portugal, I've contacted the Barcelona store ( heck, its 1 hour by plane... ) to attend.

Funny how I go from a used 500CM to a new H4D... This is REALLY a good price... unfortunatly it seems a direct hit on my beloved Leica and its S2 nonsense..

T.Karma

You are always bringing on these news... Price is very very attractive and if it is 12.000 euros for a H4D system, it is very interesting.

Since very unfortunatly we do not have a H4D show in Portugal, I've contacted the Barcelona store ( heck, its 1 hour by plane... ) to attend.

Funny how I go from a used 500CM to a new H4D... This is REALLY a good price... unfortunatly it seems a direct hit on my beloved Leica and its S2 nonsense..
Is it? ... In comparison, yes. But has MF pricing ever been reasonable before?
Of course this price will spice up the market. So, the next month' time to come will be interesting.

However, if HB is attracting now the high end DSLR users camp, it may be be to their own dissadvantage. How long then Canon, Nikon, Sony will watch it?

It is all about strategy I guess.

H3dtogo

11995 is the price for the 31Mp with 80mm, the H4d with 80mm starts at 13999 ex VAT, in other words 16000 euro with tax. No small change and i hope the 39Mp will pick up in second hand prices now the 40 is a crop 1,3 camera.

Aaron

I think it may prove quite misleading of Hasselblad to have at the bottom of the new H4D40 page:
"Hasselblad Medium Format DSLRs start at 11,995 EUR"

In printed adverts its priced at £12,995 + vat which is €14,888.
So they must be quoting the price for the H3d31, so that implies that the H4D-40 is not their new base model.

That prices it a lot closer to Leica S2 territory.

Analog6

And the Aussies miss out again, we don't even get a mention! I wonder why I often feel like a second class citizen when dealing with big companies. I watched that darned countdown for 4 days and get zip from it.

The club does look interesting, I'll check that out on the 10th.

AlexLF

Well, the camera and its price looks shining to me too. Hm... I'm going to the launch event!