The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 + Phase One P45+ still viable mf system?

kuau

Workshop Member
Is the Contax 645 + Phase One P45+ still viable system even though Contax has been gone for some time now?
Just curious
Thanks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sure it's viable -- great camera. Main issue is AF is slower than more modern cameras, and lens line is limited, but if what it is happens to be enough for your needs, you're set.

However, I personally would probably not invest in one right now as a "new" system unless it was a screaming deal. If I already owned an extensive C system and loved it, then for sure I'd keep using it.

David K

Workshop Member
I shoot the Contax 645 (via adapter) on my Sinar back and like it quite a lot. Finding accessories, etc., can be a bit of a hassle but it still has it's supporters. Not sure I'd pick that combo if I were starting from scratch unless I got a really super price on it. Lot of great glass at pretty reasonable prices available for that system. Just waiting for Victor to chime in here :)

kuau

Workshop Member
would 15K sound like a good deal for a Contax 645, 45,80, and 140mm lens and a P45+ back with 6 months left on the warranty?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
15K for that whole kit sounds good, but not overly so -- basically getting the camera and lenses for $2-3K or so.

D

DougDolde

Things are going cheap on Ebay now. It's the economy. I just saw an Aptus 75S go for 8K slightly used from Calumet.

thomas

Sounds not "too good to be true" to me.
You can find a Contax Kit (incl. prismfinder + 80mm lens) ~1000 - 1200,-
and the 45mm + 140mm ~600,- each (+/- 200,-)

gogopix

Subscriber
Chime, Chime.....

Well, since David INSISTS :ROTFL:

The 15k seems reasonable and prices for good lenses in Contax 645 still dropping. There are 35, 45, 55, 80, 120, 140, 210 and 350mm
not exactly limited..
Then of course you have ALL the Hassey V lenses and focus confirm...

Lots of float..I have gone thru several "should I swap to..

hassey H2
H3
Mamyia
S2

in all, I just don't see any advantage over my system (I have ALL options including grips and bellows... yes even the elusive auto bellows 645)

I don't even think about it
I have had it since it came out with film, the kodak, then p25, 45 45+ now 65+ witha P30 along the way rented from CI (I have aLPA W c645 MOUNT)

go for it

regards
Victor

PS Can't comment on repair; touch wood, never needed it

carstenw

Jack is right, the AF is slow, but it is accurate. Everyone who says that the Contax is a dead-end system is also right (it isn't truly dead as long as people use it), but there are places to get service and repairs done.

I use mine with the 35, 80 and 120, as well as Hasselblad FE lenses: 50/2.8, 110/2 and 250/4, and find the Contax a really nice camera to work with. Logical, old-fashioned controls, nice haptics, solid construction, flexible (WLF, prism, grip, flash bracket, ...).

If I were to switch to another system, I wouldn't know which to choose. The Hasselblad is a solid system, but doesn't appeal to me. The Phase is missing the WLF, which I love using. The AFi/Hy6 is really nice, but until someone gets behind it 100%, I cannot imagine shelling out so much money on it. The Leica S2 would do the trick, once the lens lineup fleshes out. It has no WLF, but offers some pretty compelling other advantages. It is too much money for me though.

So I stay with the Contax, and I am happy with it. I use it both with high-res B&W film and a Sinar eMotion 54LV back. My current long-term project is with Adox (Efke) CHS 25 and the 35/120 pair, although I will be switching to 4x5 soon for this.

routlaw

Things are going cheap on Ebay now. It's the economy. I just saw an Aptus 75S go for 8K slightly used from Calumet.
Indeed, I also just watched an H3D II-39 with only 1700+ clicks, mint condition not get a single bid on ebay. There have been many other such auctions as well. Its a buyers market right now if you have the funds and are willing to part with them.

Rob

David K

Workshop Member
Sounds not "too good to be true" to me.
You can find a Contax Kit (incl. prismfinder + 80mm lens) ~1000 - 1200,-
and the 45mm + 140mm ~600,- each (+/- 200,-)
FWIW, I prefer both the 35mm and 55mm (hard to find) to the 45mm. The 45mm is one of the few lenses for that system that I've owned and decided not to keep.

thomas

FWIW, I prefer both the 35mm and 55mm (hard to find) to the 45mm. The 45mm is one of the few lenses for that system that I've owned and decided not to keep.
understandable. Regarding IQ I much prefer the 35mm as well. However, since about 25 years now, my most used field of view is that of the 45mm (28mm on 135 format). The 80mm and the 45mm may be the "weakest" links in the Contax line - however I'd never give away one of those two. And "weak" doesn't mean "weak" ... they are just not that outstanding as e.g. the 3.5/35 or the 120 macro.

FWIW: I've looked at quite some S2 samples of those that are available online.
I'm not sure about absolute sharpness itself (I'd have to make a side by side comparision) - but the sharpness falloff of the Contax 2.0/80 stopped down is definitely less than the sharpness falloff of the S2 70mm stopped down. This goes for the 2.0/80 on a crop 1.1 sensor... on a crop 1.3 sensor falloff is probably totally a non issue.
So - prices and workflow beside - I still don't know why I would swap plattforms. If my Contax' would die I'd probably go for Hasselbald (if 645 again at all - I think I'd rather expand my tech camera line then). I actually don't like the H bodies that much, but I definitely like the exachangable and bright, big finders. This is more important to me than the color of the body. I'd miss the vertical grip of the Contax then... on the other hand I need it rarely (at least currently... but that may change). Too, I'd miss the aperture ring on the lens. But in the end that's peanuts - you get used to those things quicker as you might think. Too, the MS option of the H backs is something seriously to consider if it works for the things you shoot.

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
WIth a P45 and using the 80mm lens at f8-11 what is the sharpness falloff on the Contax?

thomas

WIth a P45 and using the 80mm lens at f8-11 what is the sharpness falloff on the Contax?
I don't know what you mean with "what" is the sharpness falloff.
At f11 I never apply additional corner sharpness.
At f8 occasionally (depending on the subject) slightly... I don't know, maybe 10% more or so? ... just little.

thomas

BTW: a Contax and a Phase back are like made for each other...
This should not imply that other backs don't work well on a Contax.
It's just that the Phase back is somehow like the regular filmback. Just smaller. And integration is fine.

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks for all the responses everyone.
Not to start the DSLR vs MF debate yet again.....
Im on the fence though.
I like shooting with my D3x and I shoot it mostly vertical in the 4x5 crop mode i don't like the way 3:2 looks vertical when i print and yes my shooting style is very precise.
Tripod, MLU, remote release, manual focus using live view etc.

So I guess the question I ask myself is how much more detail and over all IQ would I see on my prints from my HP3200PS printed at 20x30 would I get from going to MF 39mp over 21mp I get with my D3x?

or do I really need to go MF + tech view camera to really get the benefits MF

hmmmmm....

narikin

the deal is a good one, if you can argue him down another $500 thats great. P45+ seem to go about $11,500 or so on eBay right now, which is painful.
great choice of outfit, AND you can upgrade to P65+ at the moment for $14k more I believe, which means your're getting a P65+ for ~$26-27K. amazing as they were 40k only a year ago, and a new one on its own would still be what - $35k?

the AF on the Contax is slow, but accurate as others say. it also eats batteries, and the viewfinder is dim compared to modern ones. but its bulletproof. I switched to Phamiya, and those break down/ lock up a lot more. Never had a single issue on the Contax.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So I guess the question I ask myself is how much more detail and over all IQ would I see on my prints from my HP3200PS printed at 20x30 would I get from going to MF 39mp over 21mp I get with my D3x?
Look at one single properly focused and exposed file and you'll immediately see for yourself. Detail will be notably more, but not hugely so at normal viewing distances --- the MF detail will appear more natural and less digital looking. In re overall IQ, to my eyes it is huge, mostly in color and tonality.