The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HC 120 Macro VS HC 100+26mm extension

B

BlueLemon

How are these compared ? Have any of you tried to compare these in macro

I have the 100, 150 + 1.7 TC + 26mm extension and have been offered a 120 macro. I used to have the CFE 120 and I just loved it ! Miss it

Also

So I´m thinking that the 100 + 1.7 almost equals the 150mm that I have - and therefore i have thought of replacing the 150 with the 210

this should give me

170 (100 + 1.7)
360 (210 + 1.7)

Also have the HCD 28 and the standard HC 80 mm

So in short these two questions :

1 ) Does the 100 with extension compare/compete with the 120 ?
2 ) Would you shift the 150 in the lineup for the 210 ?

Thanks for your help

Sincerely
Claus

Dustbak

Kind of difficult to compare. I have both the 150 & 210. The 210 is an awesome lens, sharp but beautiful in the unsharp area as well but... its AF is ways behind the 150.

The 120Macro I have is a different lens than the 100 with 26mm ring. I have used the 100 with 26 (as well as 13) ring and though I have not specifically compared the results with the 120 I would certainly prefer the 120.

I actually really like the zoom with extention rings (but you don't have that one).

I don't sell lenses that I use. I don't always take everything but just what I need for that occasion. You know best how you use your equipment. Personally I would keep the 150. It is quite a versatile lens that I only started to appreciate when I began to process through Phocus exclusively (without it its was more prone to CA than other HC's). It also works really nicely with that same 26mm ring. IMO nicer than the 100.

fotografz

Get the H/C 120 if you do macro work to any degree. Very close focusing, and it is optically optimized for close focusing. I did a comparison with a Zeiss 120/4 CFE using a CF adapter on the same H3D-II/39 body. The HC was better for this type of work IMHO ... so I sold the 120/4CFE.

Tubes are okay, but not exactly precise for distances like a close focusing Macro. I didn't like the need for tubes with the Zeiss 120/4 Makro either.

The H/C 120/4 isn't exactly a portrait lens and is pretty huge for hand held work anyway. I don't have the 50-110 for that reason.

The 100/2.2 is my favorite HC lens, and I use the both the 150 and 210 for portrait work depending on the person being photographed. However, I must say that the 150 + 1.7X is quite good.

-Marc

mark1958

I agree with Marc. I have the 100mm and have used it with a combination of the different extension tubes. I think there is a difference in the image quality (edges having less distortion, and perhaps a bit better in detail). Probably even more important is that the macro is a lot easier to use if you are shooting close up and/or altering the distance you are shooting from. Finally using the macro and extension tube you can go above 1:1 capture. I found the 100 + 1.7xHC to be redundant with the 150mm. I thought the image quality was equally good and the HC being f2.2 with the 1.7X still is f4 if I remember correctly. The 150 +1.7x was redundant with the 210 so for all those reasons, i sold my 150mm.

THere is one other point i would like to make. When traveling, and not believing i would be doing alot of macro shooting, I leave that lens home since it is quite big and heavy. I have used the 100 and extension tube in a pinch and have been pleased with the results.

B

BlueLemon

I have just asked the dealer to shift my HC150 with a HC210 - and also I bought that HC 120 secondhand :)

The secondhand 120 has a lot actuations (28.000) - would you consider that a problem, or do you have lenses going beyond that number without problems ?

Thanks guys for your input already
Claus

mark1958

I think how the lens was cared for would be more important. I did purchase a used 210mm lens and the shutter broke after a few months of very light use and it cost me about 1200 to get it replaced. But i have purchased a few other lenses in the past with 15K or so actuations and no problems

H3dtogo

I have just asked the dealer to shift my HC150 with a HC210 - and also I bought that HC 120 secondhand :)

The secondhand 120 has a lot actuations (28.000) - would you consider that a problem, or do you have lenses going beyond that number without problems ?

Thanks guys for your input already
Claus
It is so strange that in this perfect world were people mostly buy second hand stuff with only 2500 exposures or less, 28000 is considered as "a lot" I have had mamiya, rollei and Nikon lenses and camera's making hunderds of thousends of exposures (press kits in the 90ties).
But indeed, Hasselblad HC lenses more often have shutters brake down for no real reason than any other camerasystem i know. I have had it twice, one lens after only about 3000 shots, another on a 80mm wich was bought second hand and had 249000 shots taken. :deadhorse:

B

BlueLemon

According to seller the glass is perfect and lens is working fine.

There is a small dent in the bodypaint in the area in front of the frontglass - but glass is not affected.

Hope this will carry on as a workhorse for years to come.

Thanks guys

Dustbak

If it has 28.000 actuations on it it is probably reliable ;)

These shutters should easily do 150K. The same as H3Dtogo, I see stuff being sold that only has a few thousand clicks on it. Weird!

I make anything in between 50K to 100K clicks a year. 28K is practically new.

Enjoy the HC120, I am sure you will. I bought mine 2nd hand as well. 15K clicks, a H1 with 40K clicks, etc. The only lens I have that needs repair is my HC50-110 which I bought with less than 2K clicks. I managed to break off something inside.

Last edited:
B

BlueLemon

Thanks Dustbak

Well that was exactly my thought - with 28.000 it should work...... on the other hand, my second thought was that owner sold it just because of that worn out lens :)

But I will just have to wait and see - have 28, 100 and 150 with less than 10 clicks each.... So I guess I will have to do some work now :)

B

BlueLemon

Stunning Bokeh - wide open I assume ?

and as I see, tack sharp also