The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 2x extenders

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Anyone know if there are different versions of the 2x extender for Mamiya 645? Are there any fundamental optical differences? I know they never made a version with electronic linkage, but I'd really only use it with my 500 which is cammed anyway. Can I simply get the N version and call it a day?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not sure Jan... I have a 2xN if you want to come down and try it out.

H3dtogo

I got a N version yesterday and want to use it on one of my super rotators and on my 200mm APO. will post results this weekend.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I got a N version yesterday and want to use it on one of my super rotators and on my 200mm APO. will post results this weekend.
I bought it specifically to use with my 200 APO and from my tests, it's a darn good combo! You will see a bit of distortion imparted by the converter as well as a bit of CA. The surprise is how good it is, at least centrally, at 400 wide open! Softer contrast and a nice slight glow for a kind of portraiture effect, sharp centrally gently falling off. By f8 it's as good as the prime by itself save for the minor distortion and CA.

Here is my review, 2x comment is about 4th paragraph: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12092

H3dtogo

Hi Jack, very nice. I loved the 200 apo already and i think i will be using it a lot more. I did some protraiture testing with the 45`Super Rotator and the 2X extender. Will post tomorrow. Great lens combo although one can not focus to infinity because the glass elements touch eachother. But for portrait and still life it is great..... if you happen to like nice out of focus in an image.
The train was shot near Las Vegas last summer with the super rotator 35mm and 5DMkII. No other lens has such a smooth rendering of colour and scharpness. Had a lot of fun over there. We should have something simmilar over here :)):confused:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for the info - I found an M645 2xN for a little under $100...

Jack, I still want to compare the 500 to the 200 APO + 2x sometime...

H3dtogo

Did some portrait shooting today with the 45mm superrotator and the 2XN extender. It seems the effect of the shallow dept of field dissapears when using the extender. It works better without imho.