The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

News from Alpa - Sliding Backs and Helical Mounts

darr

I agree archivue. I was a bit taken back by some of the posted statements. I thought I was reading a hissy fit here and there. I happen to enjoy using my Kapture sliding back and it does the job I need it to do. I would like to own an Alpa, but until there is a more precise and quick way to focus with one other than guesstimating, I will hold off.

fotografz

I agree archivue. I was a bit taken back by some of the posted statements. I thought I was reading a hissy fit here and there. I happen to enjoy using my Kapture sliding back and it does the job I need it to do. I would like to own an Alpa, but until there is a more precise and quick way to focus with one other than guesstimating, I will hold off.
+1

I love my Kapture Group sliding back mounted on a Rollie Xact-II. I'd be there all day doing a commercial job if it weren't for the quick workflow made possible with a sliding back.

Taking a digital back on-and-off to focus/compose on a ground glass is just asking for it to be eventually dropped, or to scratch the sensor filter (which I did once).

-Marc

Paratom

I heard that Sinar builds the Artec in different versions but not with adapters i order to achieve a high precission.
I have used my Artec that much yet but so far all my images have been focused quite well even when shooting at f4.0
Regarding dust-I can allways get the back off and on so I dont see any disadvantages but rather advantage that I dont have to get it off if I dont feel I want to. No good argument at all.
How good precission will be over the years I can not say yet.

archivue

How good precission will be over the years I can not say yet... and, do you think that removing the back at each pictures, won't finish in disaster in few months ?
I've start using my Fline like this, and once i had to catch the falling back... i've bought a sliding back on the spot !

PeterA

Sinar should have made the arTec so that digi backs attach to the main body like Alpa does via a precision plate and supply shims liek it does with each digi back plate.

It is BOLLOCKS ( for Sinar) to say one of their products can accommodate ANY camera body viva plate but NOT the arTec..

sliding back on teh artec - I would risk buying that..

a camera system that locks yo into just ONE BACK TYPE!!???
thats ridiculous..and teh main reason I havent bought one - much as I really really want one.

Alpa should make their tech cameras GROW UP and build TILT properly - AND make a sliding back - with caveats liek two year warranty only..( just in case..they happen to be right..

give the customer what teh customer wants.

Paratom

Sinar can -as far as I know -modify a Hy6 Artec to a V Artec if necessary. So you dont bind yourself to one back forever.
Of course it would be nicer to work with adapters. If however this would have meant to make compromises regarding stability/precission I rather have it the way it is.

Sinar should have made the arTec so that digi backs attach to the main body like Alpa does via a precision plate and supply shims liek it does with each digi back plate.

It is BOLLOCKS ( for Sinar) to say one of their products can accommodate ANY camera body viva plate but NOT the arTec..

sliding back on teh artec - I would risk buying that..

a camera system that locks yo into just ONE BACK TYPE!!???
thats ridiculous..and teh main reason I havent bought one - much as I really really want one.

Alpa should make their tech cameras GROW UP and build TILT properly - AND make a sliding back - with caveats liek two year warranty only..( just in case..they happen to be right..

give the customer what teh customer wants.

thomas

I heard that Sinar builds the Artec in different versions but not with adapters i order to achieve a high precission.
maybe not adapters, but I'm sure it's not a big deal to change the camera inferface:

Sinar can -as far as I know -modify a Hy6 Artec to a V Artec if necessary. So you dont bind yourself to one back forever.
Of course it would be nicer to work with adapters.
There is the arTec "HB-V" ready to be ordered.
If you look at the design of the camera you wonder why they do not simply offer interfaces for different camera mounts. It would be very easy to make them. Or do the Sinar and HB-V users represent the largest market?

carstenw

Well, they have clearly left the door open. I suppose designing and producing an interface costs some money, and so they would want a minimum amount of demand before starting. Initially there was also the competitive aspect of not supporting the strongest competitors (Phase One, Hasselblad H), but maybe now that is less important?

thomas

they would want a minimum amount of demand before starting.
without any offer they will never know if there is demand.
The next limiting thing is that you can't use Digitars on the arTec, only Rodenstock HR (i.e. Digarons). Actually I wouldn't care - but me I'd definitely would want to use at least one Digitar: the 47XL (resp. the upcoming 43XL) due to the really large image circle.

thomas

Guys check out This post that camera has an interchangeable plate.
Yair, many thanks!
It's quite obvious that it works with interchangeable plates; that's how it is designed basically.
However... who makes them? Can I order Contax Mount from Sinar in Switzerland/Germany or only form that Spanish dealer?

yaya

Yair, many thanks!
It's quite obvious that it works with interchangeable plates; that's how it is designed basically.
However... who makes them? Can I order Contax Mount from Sinar in Switzerland/Germany or only form that Spanish dealer?
I'm seeing the Spanish guys this week so I'll ask and will post back

Yair

Paratom

as I understood Sinar is in the process to also offer the Artec for other backs.
In the current price list itt is allready mentioned.

Yes, limited to Rodenstock lenses-in my case I prefer the Rodenstock for tech camera anyways-but for those who prefer Schneider a disadvantage.

For my purpose the only disadvantage I see is that the Artec is not usable handheld.
I wish they would additionally offer a TC-like camera which takes the Artec lenses for travel and handheld work.

Other than that the process of using the Artec works wonderfull.
Not only sliding adapter but also you can use the rotating back which is nice too for stitching.

thomas

...yes an artec for different backs - but each artec only good for ONE back?
I'm sure it's based on an interface plate. That's the same with other cameras as well - if you want to use 2 different backs on, say, on a WRS you have to buy two interfaces.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
...yes an artec for different backs - but each artec only good for ONE back?

I could attend an ALPA shimming workhop about two weeks ago .
I could not believe it , but it is true . A shim of just 5/100mm or even smaller for an adjustable digital back adapter does make a big difference in sharpness of the raw image . I was very surprised , but believe me , it is true , no doubt about this .
This in turn means , that , to obtain the maximum quality for your digital image , the tolerances for different sliding adaters and different digital back adapters play a big game .

As the tolerances between different camera adaptions for any digital back
are shurely different , you can not be shure to get the same raw IQ for any of your possible camera combinations with your digital back(s) .

The magic word is : Focal flange distance .
Using film , a 1/10mm for focal flange distance might not lead to serious
image quality loss , but for digital WA photography it does .

Jürgen