The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

News from Alpa - Sliding Backs and Helical Mounts

PeterA

I could attend an ALPA shimming workhop about two weeks ago .
I could not believe it , but it is true . A shim of just 5/100mm or even smaller for an adjustable digital back adapter does make a big difference in sharpness of the raw image . I was very surprised , but believe me , it is true , no doubt about this .
The magic word is : Focal flange distance .
Using film , a 1/10mm for focal flange distance might not lead to serious
image quality loss , but for digital WA photography it does .

Jürgen
Jurgen,

It would be interesting to see Alpa ( or someone) produce some notes on suggested. shim/test/reshim/retest/reshim/retest procedure...

PS I agree with your observations - My Sinar back on my 205TCC doesnt make as sharp raw files as the same back on the Hy6 - shooting manual with 110/2 is my test bench....

Pete

archivue

the shims system should be inside the camera back, and adjust from the phase, hassy, leaf... before leaving the factory !
it's amazing that some people are buying such expensive devices, and have to adjust the camera because of tolerance issues !

it looks like that there is quite a lot of user that manage to use a cambo wide RS without this shims... i'd like to read the position of capture integration staff about this !

thomas

it looks like that there is quite a lot of user that manage to use a cambo wide RS without this shims... i'd like to read the position of capture integration staff about this !
I'm not one of them :rolleyes:
However I use a WRS and a Phase back (actually 2). No shims for the camera, no shims for the back.
Basically, shimming the DB means that the camera unit remains unchanged. Which is good if you use different backs in different mounts (so with different interfaces) on the same camera.
If you can't shim the DB or the camera interface you also can calibrate the lens, i.e. calibrate it to focus exactly at infinity which is technically quite easy but of course it once takes some time to do it accurately. That's what I did.
So possibly my particular lens on my particular camera would not work very well with a DB in a different mount. However for my 2 DBs (both Contax mount) the calibration is fine and accurate. I only use my DBs so I don't care about possible trouble with DBs in another mount.
Over time I had 5 different Phase backs with Contax mount attached on that camera. They were all accurate (with my lens calibration). So the film plane of these backs was probably the same (or at least within the neccessary tolarances). Too - as far as I can tell when focussing objects at relatively close distances - the groundglass matches the film plane (at least close enough to work with).
So is Cambo's calibration off? Unlikely. I was at the factory when they first calibrated my lens and it was just fine on their equipment.
I rather think this is an inherent problem with modular systems requiring such small tolerances.

So... if you use the camera always with the same back (or backs with the same mount) adjusting the lens will do the trick.

archivue

I would be intrigued if they resurrected the 12 SST... considering their remarks about sliding back, i'm not shure they will do it in a near future... but nobody knows !

thomas

re tolerances/shimming:
that's quite a nice thing about the foccusing mechanism on the Arca Rm3d.
They translate distance values in certain numeric values on their scale.
But the logarithmical distance scaling of the lens is translated to a linear scaling.
So once you know the variance of your back/lens on the camera for infinity you can use that offset all over the foccussing scale (so if the offset at infintiy is, say, the value 3 you can offest by that value 3 even if you focus a detail at 1,2meters distance).

archivue

yes, the only trouble is infinity... if you need to pass it... you can't !

what you said, is even more valuable with focus shift problems with some lenses...