The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does it still make sense to buy a H3D-22 now?

P. Chong

thanks...very useful. So in summary the IQ for say going from H3d to H3Dii is negligible. I kind of like the idea of not having a fan though.

Marc, from what I understand, if you buy a ZD...these are going with lens for about $3.5k, you can also trade in...in fact for even more than a Hassie body/back. Plus you still have your old camera, which you can sell..I did see you put it up in the sales corner earlier...are they encouraging loyalty, or what?

KeithL

Marc, from what I understand, if you buy a ZD...these are going with lens for about $3.5k, you can also trade in...in fact for even more than a Hassie body/back. Plus you still have your old camera, which you can sell..I did see you put it up in the sales corner earlier...are they encouraging loyalty, or what?
This upgrade/trade-in path is just plain crazy.

fotografz

thanks...very useful. So in summary the IQ for say going from H3d to H3Dii is negligible. I kind of like the idea of not having a fan though.

The ZD may not qualify since they clearly say "Any MF camera system and digital back".

Basically, for the most part, Hasselblad is homogenizing everything and lumping together 16, 22, 31 and 39 meg backs into the same trade value with a few minor exceptions.

Odd and off-putting if you've stayed relatively current with your Hassey H gear.

-Marc

P. Chong

but a ZD back with an old AFD will be only slightly more. I am sure that qualifies, no?

The ZD may not qualify since they clearly say "Any MF camera system and digital back".

Basically, for the most part, Hasselblad is homogenizing everything and lumping together 16, 22, 31 and 39 meg backs into the same trade value with a few minor exceptions.

Odd and off-putting if you've stayed relatively current with your Hassey H gear.

-Marc

fotografz

OT..but is there a trade-in program for the CFV-39??

Steve
None listed. You can trade in a CFV/16 or 39 mounted on an old 500 series camera toward a H system ... which reveals how insane this trade structure is because basically they'd be worth the same trade value toward a number of the H upgrade choices. :wtf:

-Marc

fotografz

but a ZD back with an old AFD will be only slightly more. I am sure that qualifies, no?
I'm sure that would.

It's still hard to make the math come out to your advantage if you already have a H3D-II/39 like I do.

A Mammy AF with a ZD back @ say $4,000. + $27,000. (as listed on the trade sheet) gets me the H4D/60 I want. So we are at $31,000. If I sell my H3D-II/39 without lens, that would fetch about $12,000. if I'm lucky. So, the H4D/60 would then cost me $19,000.

The trade value I negotiated with my Hassey dealer is less than that ... and all I have to do is hand him my H3D-II/39 as he hands me a new H4D/60. No buying something to trade, and no selling my H3D-II/39.

It's a no brainer.

-Marc

Last edited:

P. Chong

I'm sure that would.

It's still hard to make the math come out to your advantage if you already have a H3D-II/39 like I do.

A Mammy AF with a ZD back @ say $4,000. + $27,000. (as listed on the trade sheet) gets me the H4D/60 I want. So we are at $31,000. If I sell my H3D-II/39 without lens, that would fetch about $12,000. if I'm lucky. So, the H4D/60 would then cost me $19,000.

The trade value I negotiated with my Hassey dealer is less than that ... and all I have to do is hand him my H3D-II/39 as he hands me a new H4D/60. No buying something to trade, and no selling my H3D-II/39.

It's a no brainer.

-Marc
Ah, you are getting a better deal than $21k trade up from H3D-II/39 to H4D/60. Good for you.

fotografz

Ah, you are getting a better deal than $21k trade up from H3D-II/39 to H4D/60. Good for you.
Well, the USA trade offer reads that any Hasselblad 39 meg combo, or other make camera/back to H4D/60 is $19,500., and I negotiated with my dealer from there.

It's the H3D-II/50 Multishot that's $21,000. no matter what Hasselblad combo you trade in ... and the H4D/50 Multishot is $22,500. no matter what Hassey combo you trade in.

My best deal is the H3D-II/39 for the H4D/60.

Actually the best deal is do nothing ... use what you have, which has worked fine, and keep the 20K to buy a H4D/60 when owners dump it for a H5D/80 in 2 years ... :ROTFL:

Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually the best deal is do nothing ... use what you have, which has worked fine, and keep the 20K to buy a H4D/60 when owners dump it for a H5D/80 in 2 years ... :ROTFL:
But the files are soooooooooo nice NOW!

:ROTFL:

fotografz

But the files are soooooooooo nice NOW!

:ROTFL:
Yeah, 60 meg and larger sensor is intriguing, as is Hassey's True Focus gizmo. P.O. already sent months ago ... now it's just a matter of time. Tick-Tock.

(If I'd stop buying Leica M stuff, I might actually be able to pay for it when it arrives ... :eek:)

Off to sell more Pack Rat stuff. :salute:

-Marc

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Jack, are you able to share with us some of the H4D-60 files?
Jack has a Phase One P65+. This is the Phase One 60 megapixel offering that has been shipping for a year with the Dalsa sensor that Phase One has exclusivity on.

The H4D-60 is not released and I have not seen any files floating around from pre-production / prototype units.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

H3dtogo

I am using three 22Mp back's on a regular base and still i am super pleased with the results. I use an Imacon 528c for fine art reproduction, unsurpassed information for a 22Mp. In studio i also use an Eyelike22Mp on a H1 and sometimes a wonderfull SinarEmotion22 on a H1( wich also are for sale). I think interest in 22Mp back's is more virtual than real: ever since i put them up for sale nobody showed real interest in them. So i think that for a company like hasselblad it is not of any interest to produce such a back/body combo.

T

tetsrfun

So i think that for a company like hasselblad it is not of any interest to produce such a back/body combo.
That is what David Grover posted elsewhere. When the "line up" was 22, 31, 39, the sales of the 22 MP back were essentially 0.

Steve

P. Chong

Sorry more questions...with the H3d-31, how serious is the color cast when used with tilt and shift on a view camera. I did try and search the archives, but found little. Maybe I am not searching right..."microlens", "microlens tilt shift", "microlens view camera" all yielded few solid advice.

I have tried the H3d-22 with HTS, but for tabletop, it seems that the range of adjustment is not sufficient for what I would like to do...so it indicates a view camera...I have access to a Sinar X, and if I do end up with the 31, I know it can be mounted and used, but wonder how serious is the problems with more extreme shifts, and tilts or swings?

I am keen on a H3dii-22, like the smaller files (I don't intend to print larger than B2, so figure 22MP is sufficient, and like the punchier images) but they seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth...I know there is one available elsewhere right now, but not many others. While the H3d-31 seem to be a bit more plentiful. And a handful of 39s around too. The 39s are quite a bit more expensive (rightly so, but I am tight on the budget) , so it does look like I will end up with a 31.

Makten

Thread archeology Grande! :D

So, seven years later. Is it worth getting one of these, if the price is right? Seems like you can get a H3D-22 with 80/2.8 for ~$2.5k or so.
What I want is a sensor as large as possible, nice, subtle colors and "MF look". I don't care if the camera is slow or noisy above ISO 200, since I got other gear for faster stuff and/or low light.

I'm not a professional, but IMHO I know very well what I'm doing and I've owned and used many systems, including multiple MF film cameras. Those are in fact the ones that I've liked the most, and the only reason they are now in my drawer, is because I don't want to hassle with film developing and scanning.
IQ-wise, I'm quite happy with my current Sony a7 and a mix of modern and vintage lenses. But I want a native ratio of 4:3 or narrower, and cropping every image makes the effective sensor size smaller than desirable. Not to mention I can't find a "true" normal lens that I like (~40 mm after cropping to 4:3). Edit: I do realize that 80 mm on 36x48 mm is more like a 53 mm lens on 24x36 when cropping to 4:3, but let's just ignore that for now. :)

Am I nuts, or what do you say? :eek:

Charles S

I went through the same set of considerations, and just bought a H3D-31. I got into MF digital with an amazing deal on an iXpress back for my 500C, but I had so many missed shots due to focus issues, that when the deal on the H came along it was a no-brainer. It is at the end of it's economic life for pros, but as an amateur, I don't care.

The fat pixel back on my V had a special look which I preferred, the 31 is still a CCD and gets files that look a bit like my old M9, but not as wonderful as the iXpress. Also, 22Mpix would have been enough. However, I have never seen a 22 back for sale in my budget, so that made the decision easy. On the upside, the 31 is one stop faster than the 22, and that makes a difference when using the camera outside of the studio. ISO 400 is fine, 800 could be used when in a pinch and being careful exposing. The lens choice is a bit less obvious than for the V series, because of the expense. I am therefore renting different lenses to figure out what works for me.

I have just started testing my new setup and so far I am happy with the choice I made.

So, seven years later. Is it worth getting one of these, if the price is right? Seems like you can get a H3D-22 with 80/2.8 for ~$2.5k or so.
What I want is a sensor as large as possible, nice, subtle colors and "MF look". I don't care if the camera is slow or noisy above ISO 200, since I got other gear for faster stuff and/or low light.

I'm not a professional, but IMHO I know very well what I'm doing and I've owned and used many systems, including multiple MF film cameras. Those are in fact the ones that I've liked the most, and the only reason they are now in my drawer, is because I don't want to hassle with film developing and scanning.
IQ-wise, I'm quite happy with my current Sony a7 and a mix of modern and vintage lenses. But I want a native ratio of 4:3 or narrower, and cropping every image makes the effective sensor size smaller than desirable. Not to mention I can't find a "true" normal lens that I like (~40 mm after cropping to 4:3). Edit: I do realize that 80 mm on 36x48 mm is more like a 53 mm lens on 24x36 when cropping to 4:3, but let's just ignore that for now. :)

RobbieAB

I would say you are nuts: A Canon 5DmkIV or equivalent is a better camera in almost every technical metric. The "large sensor" doesn't really offer much benefit over smaller newer sensors.

That said, it is a good kind of nuts, and if you go in understanding it's a 10 year old camera, with all the drawbacks that implies, it can be fun. I chose Phase One when making the same decision last year, picking up an old P30, so that shows how much weight I put in the evaluation above.