The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Major Lightroom and CS# issue with ZD images

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well my laptop was crashing with the ZD files and i thought it was a update from Adobe but on my desktop same issue. Here are the symptoms LR will load images than all of a sudden crash for no reason. Than when i reopen the catalog will not show up. Now CS3 when i send a image to export from LR to CS3 the file goes to CS3 but is hidden somewhere and i can't see it. When I go to close CS3 it asks if I want to save the file but have no idea where it is. I'm baffled to say the least. I also can't see thumbnails either on my Mac. Thinks there PC files or something.

I am thinking of a work around that may work. Maybe Adobe DNG converter and convert to Raw file. Not sure what to think of this but I am very discouraged with this bug going on. To fix it i have to either restart or a hard reboot.

volkerhopf

Hi Guy,
The LR 2.0 beta seems to work better with ZD files. One can even see the previews before importing, but only if you insert the card while LR is open.
Volker

fotografz

Guy, are you loading the cards directly from a reader, or creating a file on your desktop and copying them to that file ... then opening in LR?

irakly

this is your punishment for using mamiya :p
try to popen files in C1. if it still crashes, most likely it is the CF card that causes the problem.

Guy Mancuso

Downloading cards to desktop and or backup Raw drive first. Actually I get no images to view in Cs# or LR i get no Catalog and C1 i get no catalog. i don't think it is the ZD files at this point. One could be a bad card reader and two i loaded a flash drive one the laptop and it may have had a virus or something. because whatever happened on the laptop is now on my desktop. i may just wipe the whole freaking system. Now i have a rush job and i need to play games so i can get LR back. It comes and goes too which makes it worse. I consider myself pretty smart with computers and this smells like a virus. Either that or Adobes updates are screwed up

irakly

wow, that sounds pretty bad. before you wipe the system out, connect you machine to a healthy computer as a firewire drive (hold command-t during boot-up) and run virex or something on its main hdd. nice thing about os x is that most virus issues can be cured remotely.

Guy Mancuso

Yea i am off and on. Have to reboot to reset the software. I loaded LR 2 beta , seems to work but CS3 does not sometimes. Ran cocktail on the machine. I may just uninstall CS3 and reload . Problem is getting everything off is a pain , there are some hidden files on the Mac side

David K

Workshop Member
Man that sucks... have you tried using Time Machine to go back to where you were before you started having problems.

Guy Mancuso

Maybe migrate assistant back to time machine in time, not sure I can do that. Also Not sure how you can go back to the WHOLE system in Time Machine. I thought it was just files

T

thsinar

Jack or somebody else: it would interest me HOW and WHERE one does find those really hidden CS3 files, when wishing to un-install and re-install CS3.
I had the same problems, deleting IMO all files, but as soon as I go for installing CS3 it tells that CS3 is already installed!

Any help?

Thanks,
Thierry

Problem is getting everything off is a pain , there are some hidden files on the Mac side

fotografz

Here's a long shot ... If you have any external HDs plugged into the machine(s) remove them.

There is an ongoing issue with certain HDs that screws with Leopard and causes all sorts of seemingly unrelated issues ... the cause is dated firmware in the Hard Drives according to a bulletin issued by Apple.

My older Lacie drives have been causing havoc: LR crashing, CS3 slowed to a turtle pace and locking up, and eventually even the whole computer not being able to engage the start-up of the second monitor ... but when I removed the HDs, all was fine.

The problem is that you need a degree from MIT, a Lawyer, and Sherlock Holmes to update the Lacie drives ... their tech support site is a quagmire.

Probably not it, but worth a try before re-installing.

Also shows the fallacy of thinking the use of plug-and-play HD back-up provides long term storage.

Guy Mancuso

It has to be a virus in my thinking since it jumped from the laptop to the desktop. I just uninstalled Cs3 and clean swept it too. Going to take out LR than start over again and if don't work than wipe system out.

David K

Workshop Member
Well I may be jinxing myself but in all the years using Mac I've never had a virus or spyware of any kind. Routine maintenance with Disk Warrior is all I've ever done.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I should probably stay out of this since I don't have all the information and you're right there working with it, but I have a really hard time accepting that your problems are caused by a virus. It seems unlikely to me that someone would write a virus that effects LR and Photoshop in the ways you describe.

Are the rest of your applications running smoothly? If the problem is confined to Lightroom and PS, you might try trashing the preferences files for each program.

A quick trip to the Adobe Forum for Lightroom revealed a bunch of threads from folks on both MAC and PC having issues with the latest upgrades. It's possible that the "bad" upgrade recently that required an uninstall may have left bad things in its wake. It might be worth a trip over to those forums for some clues.

I wish you luck and hope you get back up soon.

Guy Mancuso

Tim what makes me think it is a virus or a corrupted file was we used a thumb drive in Carmel to download from the attendees there files and when I put it in , weird stuff happened . i threw the damn thing away. But I backed my firewire drive from the laptop to the desktop and it happened here. So i am reinstalling Cs3 now and LR but i will go back to the laptop which i have not fixed yet and wipe out this firewire drive . Which maybe floating with a bug or a corrupted file. This is the only thing I can think of since it is on both computers. So let's keep fingers crossed and see what happens . Updating Cs3 now