The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cleaning Phase One Sensor

cerett

I know this has probably been asked before, but I could not find it on a search. What is the best method for cleaning the Phase One sensor? I have heard some criticisms of the kit they send with the sensor. I would appreciate your imput on what works well. Thank you.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use Eclipse 2 and sensor swabs. I even carry the E-Wipes (individually wrapped pec-pads pre-wetted with Eclipse) in my bag for use in the field. I've done a perfect clean in the field with them, by following up the E-Wipe with a NEW lens microfiber cloth. I keep an extra new lenscloth in the bag for the sensor if needed.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I use their kit, but only the alcohol solution.
Mostly in the field, a good blowing off with a filtered blower does the trick.
Like Jack, I carry the e-wipes but I have never needed to use them in anger.
-bob

Don Libby

CI has a video on how to clean the sensor here. Scroll down about a third of the page and you'll see it.

I've had my P45+ for well over a year now and honesty can never remember having to use anything other than a quick blow to clean it. I do remember cleaning my P30+ once.

Don

B

BlueLemon

And which for the H3D2 ?

Do Hasselblad have their own solution or which brand can clean the H3D2-39 sensor ?

Any advice

Claus

kdphotography

I use the Phase solution, though have only really needed the alcohol solution. Usually the blower is all I need. I think Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration mentioned that the Leaf cleaning pads were more absorbant than the Phase pads, but I haven't tried them yet---Pec pads?? The Phase solution works, though the pads could be better at absorbing the solution....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea i would like to get some new pads myself and may get some e-wipes for the road. Gone shopping

KeithL

FWIW, I've used the e-wipes on my Hasselblad sensor and they did a good job. Folded to the width of the sensor then one swipe.

Keith

T

tetsrfun

FWIW, I've used the e-wipes on my Hasselblad sensor and they did a good job. Folded to the width of the sensor then one swipe.

Keith
I found that the e-wipes are a little too "wet" right out of the pkg. and tended to streak. OK if I let them air dry for a few seconds. I am now trying a Zeiss cleaning wipe that seems to do a better job.

Steve

stephengilbert

I thought one feature of the removable back was that you could just rub the sensor glass with your shirt tail. Am I doing something wrong? Should I dip my shirt in Eclipse first?

Don Libby

I thought one feature of the removable back was that you could just rub the sensor glass with your shirt tail. Am I doing something wrong? Should I dip my shirt in Eclipse first?
Stephen - I think you owe me a new keyboard! I spit my coffee out reading this. This is something I'd expect from Ken...

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

jlm

Workshop Member
my hassleblad CFV39 came new with a few individually packaged E-wipes. they work for me

Steve Hendrix

I use the Phase solution, though have only really needed the alcohol solution. Usually the blower is all I need. I think Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration mentioned that the Leaf cleaning pads were more absorbant than the Phase pads, but I haven't tried them yet---Pec pads?? The Phase solution works, though the pads could be better at absorbing the solution....

Yes, I recommend the Leaf wipes with the Phase One kit. The wipes from the Phase One kit will usually get most of the clear alcohol up, but if you have to use the blue solution, it's a soppy mess. The Leaf wipes work better with either solution.

Technique is also important. I open the bottle, fold the wipe in fours and hold the wipe over the bottle upside down until roughly a thumbnail size area of moisture appears on the wipe. Then I either use the rigid plastic blade or just wipe 3 times length-wise with the folded wipe.

I never use any air, blower or anything for dust. I use an anti-static brush.

Steve Hendrix

kdphotography

Stephen - I think you owe me a new keyboard! I spit my coffee out reading this. This is something I'd expect from Ken...

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
...and that's a clean shirt tail.... ;)

Okay---no more shirt tails.....ready to try Steve's recommendation with the Leaf wipes....

Steve Hendrix

Steve how can we get the Leaf pads and at what costs. Thanks

I could use some

They are $30. Sounds like a lot, but they should last a while. I really try to minimize having to use the agents and rely more often on the anti-static brush. The cleaning agents I use mostly as a bi-weekly or monthly good cleaning or for those occasions when something is not moving when I use the brush.

Steve Hendrix