The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cleaning Phase One Sensor

T

tetsrfun

They are $30. Sounds like a lot, but they should last a while. I really try to minimize having to use the agents and rely more often on the anti-static brush. The cleaning agents I use mostly as a bi-weekly or monthly good cleaning or for those occasions when something is not moving when I use the brush.

Steve Hendrix
I looked briefly at the CI site and couldn't find the leaf cleaning products..can they be ordered online?? if so, a link would be appreciated.

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I found that the e-wipes are a little too "wet" right out of the pkg. and tended to streak. OK if I let them air dry for a few seconds. I am now trying a Zeiss cleaning wipe that seems to do a better job.

Steve
The problem with letting e-wipes "air dry" a bit is they are nearly pure alcohol which is is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture right out of the air. Moisture on the wipe is what leaves streaks. Hence, I get everything ready, pull the wipe out, unfurl it and do a quick, even pass.

E-wipes aren't cheap either, about $1 each, but they sure are convenient: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/PZ1045/

T

tetsrfun

The problem with letting e-wipes "air dry" a bit is they are nearly pure alcohol which is is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture right out of the air. Moisture on the wipe is what leaves streaks. Hence, I get everything ready, pull the wipe out, unfurl it and do a quick, even pass.

E-wipes aren't cheap either, about $1 each, but they sure are convenient: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/PZ1045/
I'll have to look and see if I still have some e-wipes and try again. (your comment also induced me to look up the difference between hydroscopic and hydrophilic..:>)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to look and see if I still have some e-wipes and try again. (your comment also induced me to look up the difference between hydroscopic and hydrophilic..:>)
My bad, looks like it should have been hyGroscopic, meaning readily absorbs moisture... :eek:

T

tetsrfun

My bad, looks like it should have been hyGroscopic, meaning readily absorbs moisture... :eek:
Your are ahead of me...I thought hygroscopic and hydroscopic were interchangeable; totally different meanings.

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Your are ahead of me...I thought hygroscopic and hydroscopic were interchangeable; totally different meanings.

Steve
Well I have been using hyDroscopic, which apparently is not even a real a word, in place of the word I meant, hyGroscopic, incorrectly for the last 40 years or so, so there you go... Feeling somewhat stupid, but then I've never been corrected before either and I'm never too old to learn :). I suspect many folks like me actually thought the proper word is hyDroscopic since it more closely relates to water...

T

tetsrfun

proper word is hyDroscopic since it more closely relates to water...
Me too...never too old to learn. :>)

Steve

Steve Hendrix

I looked briefly at the CI site and couldn't find the leaf cleaning products..can they be ordered online?? if so, a link would be appreciated.

Steve

There is not an e-commerce component on our website at this time.

But you can call 404-522-7662 and speak to a real person.

Steve Hendrix

M

markrutland

Hi,
I'm new here and I think this is a fantastic forum.

Pardom me for the silly question: are you talking about the cleaning of the filter (IR or AA) or the sensor behind? I bought a used Kodak DCS 645H back that probably has some dirt also on the sensor, what can I use for it?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark and welcome!

The Phase back's sensor has a factory-installed IR/UV cut filter, and unlike your Kodak DCS back it is sealed and not user-removable. So we are really talking about cleaning the outer surface of the sensor filter glass.

For your DCS, you can use the same procedure, but you have three surfaces potentially where dust can reside instead of one.

faneuil

I am doing table top product work at f/20 and need my sensor as clean room clean as possible.

Did an eclipse pad wet cleaning, followed by dry with 'eyelead' sticky pad
While most of dust is gone (eyelead is great that way), I still have minimal scattering of blips and bits of what are likely residue from wet cleaning.

This would not be a problem below f/14, but I am working around f/20
Any tips?

thanks
Eric

Paul2660

The best process I have found for cleaning the "sensor cover glass" on a Phase One Back is to use the Leaf wipes with the Phase One cleaning solutions.

Phase makes an A and B, the A is blue and is only needed when you get a stubborn stain on the sensor. The B solution is similar to eclispe in that it dries very quickly and won't leave a smear.

You can use the B solution 90% of time, usually just one set of passes does it. If you use the A solution, you have to then use the B solution. A will streak when used.

The Leaf brand of wipes are like no other material I have yet to see and I have looked at most of them, Visible Dust, Eclispe Pec Pads, and the Phase One branded wipes. All of these wipe are made from materials that will come off and end up on the sensor, they are more course also. The Leaf wipes are amazing in how well they work. The leaf material will not streak and is excellent.

You can get a Phase One kit from any Phase One dealer and most of the same dealers will also have the Leaf wipes.

Paul

Sarnia

On my Leaf Aptus 75 there looks to be a speck of dust UNDER the glass (it casts a black fuzzy blob on the images). I guess there's no way to remove this oneself, is there?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You can definitely remove the IR filter - it's just four screws and you can only refit it one way. However, you need to take care only to use a blower on the sensor but you could wet clean the reverse of the IR glass if needed.

It's up to you. Obviously getting Leaf service to do it in a clean room is the preferred approach but it's not the only one if you are prepared to take the risk. I have two filters for my Aptus 65 and regularly swap between them (one IR pass, the other IR cut). You just have to understand that you can't wet clean the sensor, or at least I DEFINITELY wouldn't myself.

As per Paul, I highly recommend the Leaf wipes - lint free :thumbs:. I've never actually had to use the Phase A solution (blue) and only ever needed the clear B solution. One day maybe I'll need to but not yet.

stngoldberg

I have tried them all. The phase solutions with the wipes that are included in the package; the phase solution with the leaf wipes (which are lint free).....I find the easiest and quickest method to clean my sensor is the E wipes supported by the card that comes with the phase kit.
I place the fully saturated E wipe with two layers wrapped around the card (which fits my glass covered sensor exactly) at a thirty degree angle and pass it over the area in the same direction several times. Using this method always had resulted in a spot free image when I take a picture of the sky immediately after cleaning to verify that that the images will be dust free
Stanley

Paul2660

Graham,

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure if the glass was like Phase One's. I don't think I want to try taking the Phase One off.

I also forgot to mention the plastic card, that Stanley mentioned. I like the plastic card that comes with the Phase One kit, as it's cut to 1.3 on one side and full size on the other. Makes the whole wiping process so much straight forward.

The problem I have with the Phase Wipes, is that the material can grab the edge of the sensor opening, and then become embedded so that one single fiber is hanging there. Getting it off, well it's a bit tricky. The Leaf wipes won't do this. I save the used leaf wipes to use on my glasses and lenses. Love them.

Paul