The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax countdown..........

Stuart Richardson

50,000 does seem low, but are there any published ratings for the lens shutters in for example hasselblad and rollei lenses? I have not seen them. Also, being rated for 50,000 does not mean the camera explodes after 50,000 shots...it may well last much longer.

monza

For reference, Nikon D3, 300,000 cycles; D300, 150,000. A 50k shutter is probably more in the D40 range.

carstenw

Then again, the D3 is built for speed, with 9fps and lighting-fast AF. It needs a high-count shutter just to function in a reasonable manner. This is probably not the case for a MF camera, although 50000 does seem low.

Stuart Richardson

Like I said, I would be interested to hear what the counts are for the other MF manufacturers, particularly for the leaf shutter lenses, which strike me as less robust...

monza

Yes, it would be nice to see the figures for other MF (haven't looked any up yet) although since the Pentax is going after high end DSLR market it is still a valid comparison to look at cameras like the D3.

douglasf13

Shutter replacement is no big deal. For a fullframe DSLR, it's generally around ~$200-$300. Even if it's double for the Pentax, it isn't a deal breaker, IMO.

roanjoh

.....I wonder how competitive / relevant Pentax was in the 645 film days - are they right up there with Hasselblad/Mamiya or below?

Godfrey

I'm pleased to see them finally come out with this camera. They've been talking about it off and on since 2004, that I recall. I hung out waiting for it for years, only recently decided that I really had no need for it and sold my Pentax 645 kit, which I'd hung onto mostly to be able to use the lenses on the new digital body.

Pentax 6x7 and 645 cameras were/are great cameras: solid, high quality lenses, the unsung tools of lots of medium format users. Pentax never acquired much of a following in 35mm Film with the professional world, but their medium format cameras made many pros a good living, and very satisfying photographs.

I don't know that I have any need for a 40 Mpixel medium format DSLR at this point. But it's nice to know that there will be one out there that might be accessibly priced if I do.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Shutter replacement is no big deal. For a fullframe DSLR, it's generally around ~$200-$300. Even if it's double for the Pentax, it isn't a deal breaker, IMO.
Cost is both financial and downtime though.

Shutter replacement for a Leaf Shutter lens is not a big deal (you have other lenses). Shutter replacement for a Body shutter on a modular and open system like Phase One where you can use any body and back combination is not a big deal (you can buy a backup body for as little as $600 or rent one as needed).

Shutter replacement in a all-in-one system...

tjv

I'm kind of waiting for some little detail to come out and burst my bubble... Seems too good to be true, that is for sure.
I'd really love to see some of the other big brands come out with competitive entry level MF products. Competition is a great thing, I just hope it doesn't kill Leica!

M

ManuelGF

First of all I apologize, I do not know English, and this is by google translator.

I honestly do not understand people who say it's an ugly camera. I think much nicer than a Mamiya or a Hassel, although it is always a personal opinion. Hassel had chemistry, and one of the best changes I've made in my life was changed by a Pentax 645AF. Those who have had a pentax 645 will know that their ergonomics and speed of use the show to a much higher level in practicality. The fact that it has the most backward grip makes it more comfortable to use. It also has small and lightweight zooms and fixed lenses and bright enough, price and size too much content. Zooms have not Hassel. Who can say that?

Stuart Richardson

Hmm, I think that is a false economy there...a new lens or body would certainly cost more than a new shutter if you are replacing it with an equivalent new model. And keep in mind we are talking about something that would likely happen once and not until 50,000+ shots. This is far more likely to be something that will be replaced or recommended to be fixed during a yearly checkup rather than a catastrophic failure.

douglasf13

Agreed, Stuart. Not to mention the fact that there are also some Pentax LS 645 lenses with leaf shutters, so you could just have one of those on hand.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hmm, I think that is a false economy there...a new lens or body would certainly cost more than a new shutter if you are replacing it with an equivalent new model. And keep in mind we are talking about something that would likely happen once and not until 50,000+ shots. This is far more likely to be something that will be replaced or recommended to be fixed during a yearly checkup rather than a catastrophic failure.
My opinion in the matter is biased towards my experience/job. As head of rentals in Miami (a very transient fly-in-and-shoot city) I get the call for a rental when someone's main system goes down or they have a job where they need a backup just in case.

As a reference point for an integrated body/sensor: a Canon 1Ds Mark III costs $400/day. A rental body for a Phase One or Hasselblad H2 body is $30-65/day and an AFD1 as a backup body is only $600 to buy.

So the cost of the actual replacing of the shutter on any of these cameras is really the least of the concerns (often it's under warranty anyway).

But for sure it's a very minor part of the equation. Also somewhat off topic.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Aaron

.....I wonder how competitive / relevant Pentax was in the 645 film days - are they right up there with Hasselblad/Mamiya or below?
I used a pair of Pentax 645s for years (pre autofocus versions)

They were ugly little buggers but felt great in the hand, very well balanced with superbly controlled mirror return and film advance was as smooth as it got.

Most importantly the lenses were superb, their wides were BETTER than anything Hassie or Mamiya had (but so did Contax and Bronica & Rollei- just at a higher price).
Pentax made world class optics, that was never questioned by anyone who used them, and there wasnt really a bad lens in their 645 line (such as hassies current H 35).

If the 645D gets out of japan, the lenses will not be an issue, they will be the strong point.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Agreed, Stuart. Not to mention the fact that there are also some Pentax LS 645 lenses with leaf shutters, so you could just have one of those on hand.
Does someone have a link showing the legacy leaf shutter lenses will work on the new body with the leaf shutter? The press release only mentions the focal plane shutter and a flash sync speed of 125.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

sinwen

This camera is the price of a CFV39 alone, things start to get back to place. I have always complain about the digital cameras prices, awfully high for unreliable electronics.
The biggest joke being from Leica but to my surprise Mamiya seems to get spoiled by Hassy & others with their 20K. They used to be more reasonable in the films days.
Now the MF digital market will have to get mature and stop their nonsenses, 5k for lens here, 14k for back there and what else ?
Sadly this Pentax is a bit too late because many pros have already MF gear and won't change that fast.

NiCanon are concerned only with their supposed top of the line models. I believe a wedding & studio pros would drop their FF or use their 2k models.
On the low end of their product line, they are losing from the MFT for the reason that they are much smaller and lighter.
Their market shrink on both sides. They have one way to go, it is to make their full frame much smaller & lighter, mirrorless, whatever, they should look at it urgently if they don't want to stay with sport photographers as sole clients left.

I am happy Pentax made this move, they have always produced outstanding cameras & lenses fairly on par with the best, Salgado went this route precisely for the lenses after testing few other brands, he found back the Leica's IQ. In 35mm that was the case already.

Back to prices, the lenses might be also a lot cheaper and that will make the real difference.

This model isn't ugglier than the other brands to me, I am surpised to see it could be a criteria of choice for a MF ! You would like them to make it pink may be ! I guess they can.:LOL:

In all a very interesting move.

douglasf13