The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax countdown..........

bensonga

The 645 AF lenses are scarce!
Yeah, those folks over on the Pentax Forum are snapping them up left and right. The only FA series (autofocus) lenses I've found in the past few days are in Hong Kong and Germany. I'm sure that if/when the 645D is available here in the US, we'll get the full complement of FA lenses too.

Gary

Last edited:

narikin

can someone tell me how noisy the prototypes were on shutter release?

Phamiya loud or Canon acceptable or Leica quiet?

Terry

Yeah, those folks over on the Pentax Forum are snapping them up left and right. The only FA series (autofocus) lenses I've found in the past few days are in Hong Kong and Germany. I'm sure that if/when the 645D is available here in the US, we'll get the full complement of FA lenses too.

Gary
Which Pentax forum have you been reading?
Waiting for it to hit the US? I'm thinking this might entail a roadtrip to Toky!

T.Karma

.... Why I have been shipped a P45 with a tilted, swinged an rotated sonsor first? Why I have been shipped 3 (new!) P21+ just to get one that works flawlessly (and that, btw, already needs recalibration again! And so my P45 does!). Is there any quality control at Phase One? Why did J. Holmes write an extensive report on "medium format precission"? Why can't I check focus reliably (and be it based on an in-camera JPG) on the LCD of a Phase One back? Why is a refurbished black metal box without any camera at all so much pricier than the 645D? Is it so much better and so much more accurate that the price is justified in any way?
I don't care what I've payed once for my DBs. I've decided to pay and I don't think back about that. However the 645D raises some serious questions when it comes to the prices of MFD.

The next year or two will show what Phase and Hasselblad can *really* do to calculate competetively. I hope they stay in business, but work a little harder.

surfotog

A good source of new Pentax lenses, both 645 and 67, is Tin Cheung Camera in Hong Kong. I have purchased from them and they are first rate. They often have lenses, like the elusive 35/3.5 FA, that are impossible to find new in the USA.

Oren Grad

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=381

If you're adventurous enough to want to import one into the US before it's officially supported here, talk to Dirk Rosler. Unlike the Trend Shop, which is about selling gadgets, Dirk specializes in sourcing photographic equipment that's hard to find outside of Japan, and also can serve as an intermediary agent dealing with repair centers in Japan when they don't want to deal directly with an overseas customer and/or won't communicate in English.

Context/disclaimer: I don't have any financial interest or other stake in Japan Exposures, but I am a very satisfied repeat customer.

gogopix

Subscriber
Xpixel
yes, I think there will be characteristics of the S2 and the Pentax that will join those of Phase Leaf and Hasselblad. In the early days Phase was 'analytical' and leaf 'warmer'

Sharpness may be just a PP issue. I think many like their Pentax glass and will be pleased to have a MF option. Of course, S2 and Pentax are cameras whereas the others are backs, so a lot will depend on the other characteristics, like mirror slap, AF etc.

But it does show "Rumours of the death of Medium Format were premature"

(Remmebr when some said that Canon would have 35mm cameras to swamp backs etc etc

anyway, good to see heady competition.

regards
Victor

PS Keep those great S2 shots coming!:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. Why delay a launch just because -- or even if -- you have extraordinarily high demand???

kdphotography

Hmmm. Why delay a launch just because -- or even if -- you have extraordinarily high demand???
Dunno about Hassey, but Phase certainly has no problems with releasing cameras and then make-you-wait-syndrome because of high demand... oh wait, that's just if you're a current Phase-user and they're filling orders for buyers new to Phase.... :rolleyes:

:p