The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax countdown..........

Ben Rubinstein

Anyone know what date it will be revealed? Reichman on LuLa mentioned on a thread that there is another big 'PMA' announcement but the embargo is only going to be lifted on March 1st. Could that be this?

roanjoh

Anyone know what date it will be revealed? Reichman on LuLa mentioned on a thread that there is another big 'PMA' announcement but the embargo is only going to be lifted on March 1st. Could that be this?
The link above mentions MAR 9th-10th for the announcement.

Of the little detail we see from the camera - it looks like there is no pop-up flash.............which could only mean one thing: for PROS only.

:D

bensonga

I wonder if it will take Pentax 67 lenses, like the old 645 film camera did.

Could be a digital life for my P67 lenses after all. :thumbs:

Gary

Forrest Black

Pentax is pushing all the right buttons. Add a few leaf-shutter lenses to the mix and rock-solid image processing software and this could go places. After the naff announcement of the Hasselblad H4D-40, this impending Pentax warms the cockles of my heart and tugs at my wallet. I hope it comes about at the projected price of $6500.00. And it's in BLACK!

While I am acting silly today, how about Pentax upping the ante and producing another with a dedicated B&W sensor at about the same price-point?

P.S. The lack of a 'vertical' grip does not bother me. I am one of those fellas who prefers the right-hand over left-hand grip. If you see someone holding his DSLR upside down shooting horizontals with his right-hand on the 'vertical' grip, that person is probably me. Helps me to breathe too without smooshing my nose against the rear LCD.

Last edited:

roanjoh

Announcement this week everyone.......... March 11th.

We'll see what develops. Rumor mill is saying it will be 40 megapixels and under $6500. The first is plausible.......the other, not so much based on whats in the market.

Aaron

Since when?
Well, for me, since yesterday but i imagine for the larger world its been a bit longer than that.

We have two H3d11 39s in the studio for the last few days and the last thing i was told by the dealer was to make sure and not put the backs on the wrong cameras as they will be "out of calibration".

So correct me if i am wrong but you cant even put a hasselblad back on another hasselblad camera of the same model and generation without sending it to Hasselblad.

So i would have to deduct that putting it on anything else is not going to be a realistic option.
So the only advantage i can see of being able to take the back of a H3d or H4d i assume is to clean it.

And to put it in the context of this thread, if it's that hard to control the alignment of a back then i am now starting to view the integrated approach of the Pentax and S2 as an advantage.

carstenw

The H3D/H3DII/H4D backs can be used on view cameras, with a little effort and a Rube Goldberg-esque external harddrive/battery device, or tethered, as far as I know.

mtomalty

If the Pentax camera comes in at 40Mp and at a pricepoint even close to
what is being speculated then this is a product that will kick the cr@p out
of existing competitive products.
Not necessarily that it will outperform but that it could quickly outsell.

The only way I can see that the price can be remotely close is if they are using the
camera as a lost leader to sell new lenses.
Pentax has a long history of excellent 645/6x7 optics and while much can be found
in the used market I doubt many will perform up to the standards that a
40Mp sensor will demand.

Mrk
www.marktomalty.com

vieri

I actually think the 6-7K price point could be realistic. It will not allow for a huge profit margin, but I can see it happen, especially for a manufacturer that has to get into a small & crowded market and wants to get a piece of it.