The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf releases Aptus II 8 digital back

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Trying to get more details but the 40 mpx sensors are in all three backs from Hassy, Phase and Leaf. 2 Dalsa and 1 Kodak. S2 is 37mpx and Kodak

TEL AVIV, February 12, 2010 – Leaf Imaging today announced the Leaf Aptus-II 8 medium format digital camera back. The company’s newest addition to the Leaf Aptus-II product family, the Leaf Aptus-II 8 features a resolution of 40 MP. At a capture rate of under 0.8 seconds per frame, it delivers a sustainable burst of 60 full resolution images per minute, making it the industry’s fastest digital back.

The Leaf Aptus-II 8 features the same high quality sensor technology as Leaf’s flagship product, the Leaf Aptus-II 10, a 56 MP camera back. This system is geared towards professional photographers looking for the highest available quality at an affordable price.

“Professional photographers already rely on Leaf for accurate color rendering that adds shape and superior film-like quality,” said Ziv Argov, Director of Marketing, Leaf Imaging Ltd. “The Leaf Aptus-II 8 is designed to deliver superior image quality, with true to life skin tones for portrait and fashion assignments, and richly detailed images for any technical photography requirements.”

Delivering a combination of the highest quality captures and the fastest digital back system, the Leaf Aptus-II 8 also offers professional photographers unmatched flexibility:

A choice of connecting to more than 80 different camera platforms;
The ability to connect to large format cameras;
An open file format with the choice of tethered shooting to
either Leaf Capture or Capture One software applications.
Specifications highlights:
CCD: 44 x 33mm, 40 Megapixel
Largest file size: 240 MB 16 bit TIFF
ISO: 80-800
Capture rate: 0.8 sec/frame

Leaf Aptus-II Product Family
The Leaf Aptus-II series of digital backs offers professional photographers the speed, image quality and flexibility to allow their work to keep pace with their imaginations. Designed to support photographers wherever they are shooting, Leaf Aptus-II series backs offer the largest display, 3.5” (6x7 cm), and only touch screen controls in the medium format market.

Pricing and Availability
The Leaf Aptus-II 8 camera back is priced at €13.995 and is now available for orders.
The Leaf Aptus-II 8 ships with both Leaf Capture v.11 and Capture One v.5 workflow software.

Leaf imaging has released what it says is the industry's fastest medium format camera back, in the shape of Aptus-II 8. This latest back can capture a frame in under 0.8 seconds (1.25 fps) and can shoot 60 full resolution frames in a minute. The 40MP camera back is available at a retail price of €13.995.

This is from Dpreview.

yaya

I've got one and some shots taken with a 645DF and the new SK 55mm LS lens, will have more next week.

Yair

David K

Workshop Member
Looking forward to seeing some shots from this. Glad to see Leaf come to the party with a new product.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yair looking forward to seeing shots from the 55mm LS.

I'm glad also David they joined the 40 mpx party as well. We like choices and in the end it's good for OEM's and the users.

Glad to see them with C1 now as well.

Steve Hendrix

is this back suitable for camera movements (tilt shift) ?
Yes, in fact will do very nicely with movements. You may even find it unnecessary to do Custom Gain files (LCC) much of the time, depending on the lens. At least that has been our experience with the P40+, which uses the same sensor.

Steve Hendrix

yaya

I'm in Amsterdam, NL, today and tomorrow showing the Aptus-II 8 so if anyone wants to see it along with the 645DF and C1 5.1 (beta) you're most welcome to pop into Eyes On Media

Yair

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I'm in Amsterdam, NL, today and tomorrow showing the Aptus-II 8 so if anyone wants to see it along with the 645DF and C1 5.1 (beta) you're most welcome to pop into Eyes On Media

Yair
Dang Yair my old friend, if I would have seen this earlier I would have jumped on a plane. It's been way too long since I visited Amsterdam.... God, it's nice to dream, isn't it? Maybe for the next back release? :thumbs:

Seriously, as a very satisfied Leaf customer myself, I am glad to see the Brand and the design philosophy of the Leaf is being continued. I think that is very smart. There are quite a number of the "old" timers still out here kicking, and Leaf has done a great job of taking care of us through the transition. Like getting us up on C1 without having to spend money we don't have in today's tough market on an upgrade. Bravo Yair for fighting for this on our behalf, and bravo to your superiors for going with your judgement. :thumbs:

yaya

Thanks Chuck!

(Not taken with an Aptus but still Amsterdam, even on a foggy/ soggy day makes a nice place to visit:)