The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

in doubt: Hasselblad VS Phase One

H3dtogo

I am a bit in a struggle: what to do. I always had Hasselblad H3d and ixpress digital systems, tried all the rest but never was convinced to change system. Last week i got myself a mamiya 645II with a P20+ back. Again, coming from HasselbladH the autofocus is worthless on the mamiya AFD123 camera's. But i really like the long exposures on the phase back and i tried the 645DF wich is a lot better than the AFD seies, especially with the new schneider lenses. But I already own all AF lenses from 35 up to 300mm aswel as the for my work most important hasselblad H lenses. What to do: go for a DF, perhaps with a P40+ or go for the Hasselblad H4d40 and sell the mamamiya stuff???????......:angel:

jecxz

I am a bit in a struggle: what to do. I always had Hasselblad H3d and ixpress digital systems, tried all the rest but never was convinced to change system. Last week i got myself a mamiya 645II with a P20+ back. Again, coming from HasselbladH the autofocus is worthless on the mamiya AFD123 camera's. But i really like the long exposures on the phase back and i tried the 645DF wich is a lot better than the AFD seies, especially with the new schneider lenses. But I already own all AF lenses from 35 up to 300mm aswel as the for my work most important hasselblad H lenses. What to do: go for a DF, perhaps with a P40+ or go for the Hasselblad H4d40 and sell the mamamiya stuff???????......:angel:
Keep in mind that the Hasselblad long exposure (LE) does not require the black shot like PhaseOne does. So a 4 minute H exposure is 4 minutes, where the PhaseOne photograph is 8 minutes (this is what I was told by a Phase rep, so if I am wrong, please correct me). Personally I could not live with that limitation.

I don't want to turn this in the a brand smashing thread, so I will add that I have seen great stuff produced by PhaseOne backs, you probably can't go wrong either way.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

Dustbak

Does it really matter?

I do know upgrade prices are pretty much the same. I got an offer to upgrade towards the 645DF + P65 for practically the same money as upgrading towards the H4D60.

As Derek mentioned, you can go either way.

H3dtogo

It is just that i have a lot of fun lenses for the mamiya system, unavailable at hasselblad. On the other hand, i am using hassie for more than 7 years now.....Maybe i just go for a DF body and put a CF back on it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I understand your pain -- there is no single ideal solution available that does everything at 100%...

Bottom line is to use whichever system generates the best images for you. This philosophy looks at the entire imaging process from capture through processing; so the ergonomics of the camera come into play, as do the range and selection of lenses, the features of the back that allow or prevent you from doing what you want to do, and finally the software you use to process.

Nut all that out, and I think you'll arrive at the answer that works best for you.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
But i really like the long exposures on the phase back ...
... a P40+
I'm pretty sure the p40+ is limited in long exposure like the p65+ to 1 minute.

If you are interested in long exposures, the p45+ may be the best option ... up to one hour. (as pointed out by someone else, this requires a dark exposure equivalent to the main exposure, but the results have outstanding noise performance.

jecxz

Bottom line is to use whichever system generates the best images for you. This philosophy looks at the entire imaging process from capture through processing; so the ergonomics of the camera come into play, as do the range and selection of lenses, the features of the back that allow or prevent you from doing what you want to do, and finally the software you use to process.

Nut all that out, and I think you'll arrive at the answer that works best for you.
Jack said it best. Both systems will do the job; base your decisions on what works best for image creation (ergonomics, lenses, etc...). Good luck with your decision.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

yaya

If you already have all the H lenses (not sure from your post) then you can find a used H2 and put a Phase back on it for the long exposures.

wolf65

technical wise i don't see such a big difference between the systems.
but since no company has left their customers standing in the rain so many times like phase/mamiya did i definitely would go for hasselblad.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
technical wise i don't see such a big difference between the systems.
but since no company has left their customers standing in the rain so many times like phase/mamiya did i definitely would go for hasselblad.
Now this is not called for without evidence. No camera maker has offered me an umbrella, but I have been well treated IMO by phase (so far crossing fingers...)
-bob

carstenw

I think Phase has caught up with their promises except for the grip. Hasselblad has also made a series of promises in the past, which they took a long time to live up to, such as live view on the H3DII-50, but I think they have also caught up, haven't they? I don't see any particular difference between those two companies. The two nice companies are the two which lost :)

H3dtogo

I will see what my used back will make in an upgrade. I lean towards Hasselblad-H because of the long exposures without black....... and already havea P20+ for my hobby photography. I hate to drag around my H3dII-39MS on location but the 645AFD3 simply lack's real autofocus wich the hasselblad does have. Maybe a CF39 on a DF mamiya body.... First i want to really test the DF body. Phase claims faster AF than H3 can deliver but they only test it with their new Schneider lenses. I have mamiya lenses and want to know....

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I tried Jack's DF during a recent visit and it was amazing just how much better AF and shutter lag were.
I am (impatiently) waiting for the delivery of my own, but meanwhile I have time to try out the Hassy offering.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I tried Jack's DF during a recent visit and it was amazing just how much better AF and shutter lag were.
I am (impatiently) waiting for the delivery of my own, but meanwhile I have time to try out the Hassy offering.
-bob
Yes and the wait is just nuts, Phase needs to get these OUT THE DOOR :cussing:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Don't misinterpret me, I LOVE the P65+, but when shooting people even in-studio, I find myself reaching for the 1Ds3 even though the files are much leas pleasing. The Phase is still my weapon of choice for landscape, but I would rather be using it more universally.
Studio work has me interested in giving the Hassy a test flight, and I intend to do that while waiting for the DF. My guess is that the DF will probably work well enough in studio for my purposes, but so might the Hassy.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Without the new DF not sure I would still be holding on because of the body reasons. The back and software in my mind are one of the best in the business.Hassy has a nice body and now the Df I would say they equal out pretty good now. They both make great lenses , backs and software so with the bodies sort of equaling out makes this decision harder but Phase still gives you a focal plane shutter at 1/4000 with 3 LS lenses now so I would give the Phase the advantage with these new lenses on board. Hassy is still 1/800 leaf shutter and can't go faster. So now Phase may have some advantages over it today. But for many this means nothing as well. It really comes down to needs wants and what works best for you. Both systems have tons of accessories and lenses out there with a long legacy of older glass so plenty of stuff out there to use. Phase will also take V lenses as well with adapter. Phase does have the advantage of using Leaf backs as well and the ability to switch mounts to a different body down the road. Hassy really does not have that ability but again this stuff has to matter to you in the first place. So if not needed than no reason to buy it.