The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the H3D 31 equivalent to P30 or P30+?

Henry Goh

Need to find out from you guys shooting the H3D 31 if the sensor is equivalent to P30 or P30+? Also, is there anything negative about this camera/back combo? Thanks.

Nick-T

Need to find out from you guys shooting the H3D 31 if the sensor is equivalent to P30 or P30+? Also, is there anything negative about this camera/back combo? Thanks.
P30+ I'd say the performance would be pretty similar given that they are the same chip. I have an H3D31 and am very happy with it. If you were making a choice I guess it would come down to platform and software preferences.
Nick-T

Henry Goh

Hi Nick. Thanks. I already have a full kit with the P30+ but am being offered a H3D 31 so thought I find out. What would be a trade-in value for a H3D 31 should I choose to upgrade later on? Thanks again.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Just out of curiosity what is motivating you to consider changing from a P30+ to a H3D 31?

The H3D-31 is a bit closer to a P30 than a P30+ IMO. The H3DII is a closer equivalent to the P30+. But it's a bit subjective. My thought process is mostly about the shooting speed and ISO (e.g. 1600 for a P30+ and 800 for an H3D-31).

Make sure to evaluate the entire end-to-end workflow, including raw processing, before any new camera.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Last edited:

Nick-T

My thought process is mostly about the shooting speed and ISO (e.g. 1600 for a P30+ and 800 for an H3D-31).
Not so Doug!
The H3D31 has been 1600 ISO for a while now via Free :) firmware update.
Does a P30+ shoot faster than an H3D31? I wasn't aware of that.
Nick-T

fotografz

Henry, you weren't clear as to what camera platform you are using the Phase One back on. Mamiya, Contax or Hasselblad H1/H2?

If you're currently using a H1/H2, the advantage of an H3D/31 is integrated use of the Phocus Software corrections in conjunction with the HC lenses ... including the HCD lenses, I believe the H system Micro adjust AF is also on the H3D and not on the H1/H2 using a 3rd party back, but I'm not 100% sure of that ... (BTW, it does do ISO 1600) ... the H3D will still allow use of film backs ... and there is only one battery to maintain rather than two ... the grip battery drives both the H body and the back.

Marc

Oh, and if you use any Zeiss CF, CFi or CFE lenses on your H via the CF adapter, there are now DAC corrections for many of those lenses in Phocus also. Pretty amazing actually.

Last edited:

Henry Goh

Doug, I'm not ditching my P30+ for this. I may consider buying this and selling off my Nikon system. If the H3D can do ISO100 to 1600, then it should be like the P30+ right?

Marc Thanks for your inputs.

fotografz

Doug, I'm not ditching my P30+ for this. I may consider buying this and selling off my Nikon system. If the H3D can do ISO100 to 1600, then it should be like the P30+ right?

Just to keep the record straight ... the capture rate of the H3D/31 is 1.2 sec ... Phase specs say "up to" 1.25 sec. depending on camera. Real world nano second difference ... virtually none.

Doug, I though you promised to only talk about what knew for sure ... :ROTFL:

(Just yankin' your chain).

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

There almost Identical . Might want to just upgrade to a p40+ ISO 800 full res and than sensor plus and it is faster than the P30+ shooting speed and I think the H4/40 is also faster than the H31. If anything I would move to the newer 6 micron sensors they are faster and better noise levels

With the sensor plus I bagged any idea of 35mm but that is me.

Steve Hendrix

Henry, you weren't clear as to what camera platform you are using the Phase One back on. Mamiya, Contax or Hasselblad H1/H2?

If you're currently using a H1/H2, the advantage of an H3D/31 is integrated use of the Phocus Software corrections in conjunction with the HC lenses ... including the HCD lenses, I believe the H system Micro adjust AF is also on the H3D and not on the H1/H2 using a 3rd party back, but I'm not 100% sure of that ... (BTW, it does do ISO 1600) ... the H3D will still allow use of film backs ... and there is only one battery to maintain rather than two ... the grip battery drives both the H body and the back.

Marc

Oh, and if you use any Zeiss CF, CFi or CFE lenses on your H via the CF adapter, there are now DAC corrections for many of those lenses in Phocus also. Pretty amazing actually.

I have a feeling this thread could get out of control....:D

While Phocus has automatic corrections for HC lenses via DAC, Capture One also offers the ability to have automatic corrections as well as manual correction of HC lenses, as well as the CF lenses, and there are more options with the controls (such as positive and negative vignetting, crop vignetting, etc), so I am not sure that is an advantage for the H3D-31.

The H3D-31 (if it is not the II version) would be more equivalent to the Phase One AF then, rather than the DF, and the AF does allow the use of a film back just as the H3D-31 does. The H3DII-31 does not allow the use of a film back, the same that the Phase One DF does not allow the use of a film back.

One battery is nice, although it is proprietary. While the AF takes double AA's which can be a hassle, they are available everywhere. Also, the new DF will take a vertical grip (yes, the ship date has slipped several times) that can take the same battery as the P30+. And, of course, you have the use of a vertical grip on top of that.

Steve Hendrix

Henry Goh

Guy you're probably right about going to the newer sensors. Mind you though, I was not thinking of ditching my Phase system of which I've have no complaints.

Steve - just saw your post as I hit return. Thanks for the input but I hope this thread will not go to Hasselblad Vs Phase One.

Steve Hendrix

Guy you're probably right about going to the newer sensors. Mind you though, I was not thinking of ditching my Phase system of which I've have no complaints.

Steve - just saw your post as I hit return. Thanks for the input but I hope this thread will not go to Hasselblad Vs Phase One.

No, and it shouldn't. I was only kidding about the direction of the thread. I would certainly never introduce such a thing. Especially since you are considering adding an H3D-31 to your P30+ arsenal - that would be a nice pair to have in your arsenal.

Steve Hendrix

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

See for me I like the sensor plus and maybe in your case selling the Nikon gear and upgrading to the P40+ maybe a good option, not sure. But having two separate systems in MF seems a bit odd too. Depends on what you are after but at least in the 31mpx there really is not much difference in the sensor at least they are both Kodak. H40 and P40 are Kodak /Dalsa so depending on what you prefer than that is a option too. Plus the new bodies and backs in the 40 have enough difference that you may lean one way or another more than the 31mpx backs and bodies which are real close to another.

I think when making these decisions it comes down to three main things with there pluses and minuses.

Back
Body
Software

Now mix that all up on each system and see what makes the most sense. I think both systems are the best out there so that makes it a little tougher to decide as well.

BTW I like the guy's ribbing each other ,I think that is healthy as long as we stay on track and the reps here are some of the best around and very professional in all of it. Besides all that they have a lot of respect for each other and this forum with it's members. Personally i think this is the best forum around but you know i am going to say that. :D

Henry Goh

Hey Guy,

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of respect for Steve, Doug, David and all the other vendors on this site. All of them have been extremely helpful. I just hope our threads do not end up like those on LL because that kills good discussion. Remember RG's Medium format forum?

BTW: does anyone know what is the battery life like on H3D 31?

Last edited:

fotografz

There almost Identical . Might want to just upgrade to a p40+ ISO 800 full res and than sensor plus and it is faster than the P30+ shooting speed and I think the H4/40 is also faster than the H31. If anything I would move to the newer 6 micron sensors they are faster and better noise levels

With the sensor plus I bagged any idea of 35mm but that is me.
That's what I'd do in Henry's shoes.

Why have 2 system backs so similar to one another?

P40+ on what-ever. Trade in the P30 toward it.

My 2¢. but not my money ... :ROTFL:

-Marc