The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Capture One has the dominant market share for tethered shooting. Up until last year this was limited to Canon dSLRs and Phase One digital backs. In version 4.6 tethering in Capture One was opened to Nikon dSLRs. Now in version 5.1 the game is changing again.

Leaf Cameras Supported for Tethered Capture in Capture One 5.1 DB:

- Leaf Aptus II 10, Aptus II 8, Aptus II 7, Aptus II 6, Aptus II 5
- Leaf Afi II 10, Afi II 7, Afi II 6

Leaf Cameras Supported for Tethered Capture in Capture One 5.1 PRO:
- Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S
- Leaf Afi 7, Afi 6, Afi 5
- Leaf Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

This tethered support is offered for Leaf backs as-they-are and does not require a new firmware (though you should ensure your firwmare is the latest available) or hardware update. Many Leaf photographers already own Capture One 5 Pro for use tethering the Nikon or Canon or for processing their Leica or other camera's raws - those photographers can update their software for free to 5.1 and plus in their Leaf and use it tethered immediately. Users who own Capture One 3 Pro or Capture One 4 Pro can upgrade to Capture One 5.1 Pro for $99*

Live View for Leaf backs is not yet supported, but R+D expects to be able to implement Live View for some backs soon (no details can be provided at this time since they are seeing what can be made to work as we speak.

Stability and Performance
Shot-to-preview time is currently a bit slower than Leaf Capture. This is an area of performance that R+D anticipates being able to improve in the coming months. C1 has always had incredibly fast shot-to-preview times with Phase One cameras, even those with very large files like the P65+, so stay tuned for further improvements in performance.

Capture Integration (our company) has earned a reputation for being careful with it's recommendations for software updating in appreciation for just how important it is for tethering software to be rock solid stable. Although Phase and Leaf have tested this release with a variety of leaf backs and computers I would still advise that anytime such a large improvement is made (adding tethered support for 18 different backs in one release - let alone a new brand/type of back) that caution is required and that you should test your own specific setup extensively before using it on a job. We will be happy to report back here our findings as we, and our customers, start to use the new version with Leaf backs and we encourage you to do the same. Of course we also encourage you to do your own due-diligence - if you experience problems please read our Ideal Tethered Setup which, though catered to Phase One backs, still contains a useful checklist for Leaf owners, and to contact your Leaf dealer to see if you're running the latest firmware for your camera. Often the forums get flooded by implied issues which are actually user error - and that doesn't help anyone.

Support for Leaf tethering in Windows is being called "preliminary". So be especially sure to test your specific setup before using it on a job.

FREE Trial

ALL users will be able to do a 30 day full-featured trial of Capture One. Even if you've already done a trial of 5.0 you are eligible for a free trial of 5.1.

Other Features and Bug Fixes

Auto Select New Capture - Auto Pause: Fixing this annoyance
Spot Removal - previous spot removal only worked well for dust, new spot removal works for zits, dirt, and, apparently flies.
Advanced Noise Reduction - available for advanced users to easily modify the type of noise reduction based on their intended use, includes surface noise reduction which targets noise in areas of continuos tone (e.g. the paint on a smooth/shiny car), and fine grain which was borrowed from Leaf Capture to allow the introduction of a fine and uniform grain to help mask unpleasant noise in very high ISO or for aesthetic effect
Underline Acceptable - In 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 the underline key was disabled during text entry - in 5.1 this is fixed
Negative Clarity - used to enhance the smoothness of tonality in a portrait
Inverted Color Selection in Color Editor - the color editor is the most powerful tool in Capture One and this new tool makes it more flexible, allowing you to select the inversion of a particular color for editing
Improved Metadata Handling - GPS location and aut0-importing of metadata stored in compatible sidecar files generated in other programs
Improved Sorting - including sort-by-process-state and more intelligent sort-by-name
Aspect ratio available from Crop Cursor drop down - brought back from the days of version 3.X this option saves you time when switching cropping aspect ratios and just plain makes sense
Faster loading of recent folders - similar to the near-instant loads for folders which are assigned as favorites Capture One 5.1 now includes sophisticated recent folder handling
Faster loading of large folders - catalog shooters will notice improvements when opening folders with many hundreds or thousands of raw files.

10% Discount for purchase

Capture Integration offers an easy way to purchase Capture One online at a 10% discount. Check out our step-by-step instructions on Buying Capture One.

Installation

We recommend that for the best experience you remove the application, application support, and preference files of any previous Capture One version before installing Capture One 5.1. This is not "required" but it has been our long standing experience that doing so is a good idea. See our uninstall instructions for a comprehensive guide, but for the purposes of an upgrade you can skip all the steps except the application, application support, and preference files. If you skip this step and experience a weird glitch, bug, or strangeness, then close the program and delete the application support and preference files.

Training Available

Capture Integration is known throughout the world and the web as a leading expert in Capture One. If you are a Leaf user who is considering purchasing or using Capture One you should subscribe to our newsletter. We'll be announcing March classes online specific to Capture One 5.1 for users coming from Leaf Capture.

Parting Thoughts

When Phase One purchased the assets and took on many of the employees of Leaf we received many calls from Leaf users asking when they would get to use Capture One. Now, just a few months later, this support is being offered even back to the Aptus 17. This is a good day for Leaf users and for Phase One, which has just expanded it's user base enormously.

More Information

You can find more information about Capture One, including tips and tricks, at our Capture Integration Medium Format Tech Blog.

*depending on when you bought your Capture One 3 Pro license you may be entitled to a free upgrade to version 5 Pro. Check with your dealer or look in your account at phaseone.com > my account (sign in) > license management > select your license.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to

HAHA. I pushed submit before finishing the thread title. It's supposed to read "Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1" but I actually like the implied mystery of the mistaken title.

Edit: Thank you moderators for the correction :).

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to

HAHA. I pushed submit before finishing the thread title. It's supposed to read "Big day for MFD - Leaf tethers to Capture One 5.1" but I actually like the implied mystery of the mistaken title.

Edit: Thank you moderators for the correction :).
I edited it for you ;)

Anders_HK

These areGREAT news indeed!!!
By coincident #1 - I tested C1 2-3 years ago and did NOT like it...

By coincident #2 - I have demoed it for my A65 using DNG over CS4 for last 4-5 days. I am blown away, this is a tremendous tool that perfect match my brain, adjustments and workflow alike. Hands down it is like I have a new camera.

The fact that the new version of C1 enables me use it without DNG is simply icing on the cake...

Interesting is also the great fruit seen by Phase One buying up Leaf. Should there be something to add to C1, it would be... if you could add a tad brilliance to slight resemble what still keeps me hooked onto slides...

Apart from above, whenever time for upgrade... it is destined to be a Leaf.

Thanks!!!

Regards
Anders

yaya

By coincident #1 - I tested C1 2-3 years ago and did NOT like it...

By coincident #2 - I have demoed it for my A65 using DNG over CS4 for last 4-5 days. I am blown away, this is a tremendous tool that perfect match my brain, adjustments and workflow alike. Hands down it is like I have a new camera.

The fact that the new version of C1 enables me use it without DNG is simply icing on the cake...

Interesting is also the great fruit seen by Phase One buying up Leaf. Should there be something to add to C1, it would be... if you could add a tad brilliance to slight resemble what still keeps me hooked onto slides...

Apart from above, whenever time for upgrade... it is destined to be a Leaf.

Thanks!!!

Regards
Anders
Hi Anders, FYI DNG support in C1 is "generic" and is not optimised for any specific camera.

If you now use your .mos files you will notice not only that the quality is better but that you can use additional tools and functions, such as support for the Leaf Input Profiles and Develop curves, lens correction etc.

Enjoy!

Yair

D

DougDolde

Is it better than Leaf Capture now for an Aptus 75S user? If so how? I'm not particularly interested in paying for a new converter when Leaf Capture does the job.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doug,

Download the free demo and try it out for yourself! Workflow with C1 is awesome IMO...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Is it better than Leaf Capture now for an Aptus 75S user? If so how? I'm not particularly interested in paying for a new converter when Leaf Capture does the job.
It's a different convertor with different (and more) tools and different math. You may like the results more, you may like the results less. Only you can decide. Fortunately the 30-day trial is completely free and fully functional.

One tremendous advantage is that you can use the same convertor for your Canon, Nikon, Leaf, P+S files and Phase One files (in case you ever rented or upgraded one of those).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

D

DougDolde

As far as I can see there is no digital ND Grad filter like Lightroom has. That seems like a serious omission.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doug, there are no localized edits at all in C1 -- stick with LR or ACR if you want those. However if you want to get the most from your files, then you may find C1 a bit more useful (and probably won't need to both with HDR captures any more :D). You will also probably find the color editor a HUGELY powerful tool if you take the time to master it...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Color editor is actually a better tool but like Jack said takes some time to make it like a paintbrush in your tool kit. Very very powerful tool

Henry Goh

I would have thought that Leaf owners can use the DB version of C1 without buying the Pro version. Maybe Yair can confirm.

D

DougDolde

One thing it has over LR is the ability to work in your folders instead of LR's arcane library system. The only thing I like about LR is the ND Grads !

I think you have to use the Pro version of C1 to get support for the Aptus 75S.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doug, honestly if you have to have a split grad, it isn't much more work in CS and you can make one that is dedicated to your horizon for a *LOT* more natural effect...

yaya

I would have thought that Leaf owners can use the DB version of C1 without buying the Pro version. Maybe Yair can confirm.
Just did on LL:

Leaf tethered support
The DB version supports tethering to: Leaf Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6
The PRO version is needed to tether to: Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

Leaf .mos file support
DB version supports: Leaf Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 8 (preliminary) Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6
Basic or PRO versions support the above PLUS: Leaf Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17

Yair