The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV back

woodyspedden

Congrats Woody. Your going to be amazed is about all I can say and you think your broke now.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Guy

You have no idea! I am looking at a 40 CFE and a 180 CFE at a grand total of almost $7K. These lenses are nothing if not expensive! But you only live once (although 007 wanted to live twice) and if the files are as everyone has told me, my landscapes are about to come to 3D life like never before. So M8 for travel, D3 for AF, grandkids, sports etc and Hassy for the prints you love to touch.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody I traded my Hassy 40mm to Sean at Camera West he just got it today , so there is one there. i got several Mamiya lenses for it coming. Damn Hassy stuff does hurt but it is nice

atanabe

Guy

You have no idea! I am looking at a 40 CFE and a 180 CFE at a grand total of almost $7K. These lenses are nothing if not expensive! But you only live once (although 007 wanted to live twice) and if the files are as everyone has told me, my landscapes are about to come to 3D life like never before. So M8 for travel, D3 for AF, grandkids, sports etc and Hassy for the prints you love to touch.

Woody
Woody,
You may want to look at the older versions of the 40 and 180, the CFE lenses have electrical contacts for use with the 200 series focal plane bodies. These contacts have no use on the 500 series bodies, optically they are the same as the last version CFi (180) and FLE (40), good copies of the 180 CFi are about $1400-$1500, Guy's 40 was priced under market value, which normally is $2500 for that version.
Another option for wide angle work is a SWC (38mm Biogon) which comes in several flavors, early; SWC, SWC/M, mid; SWCM T*(Multicoated), late; 905. This makes a sweet walkaround outfit and much lighter than the 40mm. If you get an early model SWC like mine, you need to have the tripod plate shimmed from the body by 1mm to clear the "L" battery connector.

Enjoy your new setup and welcome to the slippery slope!

Al

woodyspedden

Woody,
You may want to look at the older versions of the 40 and 180, the CFE lenses have electrical contacts for use with the 200 series focal plane bodies. These contacts have no use on the 500 series bodies, optically they are the same as the last version CFi (180) and FLE (40), good copies of the 180 CFi are about $1400-$1500, Guy's 40 was priced under market value, which normally is $2500 for that version.
Another option for wide angle work is a SWC (38mm Biogon) which comes in several flavors, early; SWC, SWC/M, mid; SWCM T*(Multicoated), late; 905. This makes a sweet walkaround outfit and much lighter than the 40mm. If you get an early model SWC like mine, you need to have the tripod plate shimmed from the body by 1mm to clear the "L" battery connector.

Enjoy your new setup and welcome to the slippery slope!

Al
Al

Nice to hear from you on this and thanks for the advice. I am planning on acquiring a 203 sometime in the near future which is why I want to get the CFE lens. However the SWC is an option I hadn't considered but certainly should.

Again thanks

Woody

gogopix

Subscriber
Wish I had caught it at your price Guy. Sean is asking $4200 for it!

Woody
that seems a bit out of line. many reputable sellers on ebay have them now for 2200 to 2900 in 'buynow'. However, 4200 is a good price if it is the IF (one going for 4600 now)

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,

I just sold my 180 CFE for $1800... like new condition. You shouldn't have to pay more than that.

David

gogopix

Subscriber
Just looking at the pictures of Guy lens, it looked like it was the one with IF focus. There seemed to be a second ring for near focus settings.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21789&postcount=4

Robert
the earlier versions of CF and CFE that were FLE had a second focus ring for range as others 50mm etc

the last version was called "CFE IF 40mm Hasselblad" and did not have the second ring as it had internal connections It is also a bit bigger that the previous CFE I believe.
4200 seems high, though some prefer the non IF (even though it IS internal focus, it doesnt have the designation) as the earlier version did not have the resolution but also did not have as much distortion.

The story is that zeiss wanted to design a lens with the highest possible resolution for digital sensors, and sacrificed to that end. Others claim they cant see distortion or it is well behaved and easily taken out.

The lens sells higher than the non IF simply because it is newer and was higher priced originally (I actually bought mine from Zeiss as a 'show demo' but it came with full factory warranty. as it turned out, it was sealed in the box since they never needed it. I think it is a way to get 10-20 lenses out there at attractive prices and then create some buzz.

Victor

woodyspedden

Ouch he better be giving me a good credit for it. LOL

Yea i was trying to help ya there buddy when I offered it to you .
Guy

In fairness to Sean, I think the lens he was quoting me was a mint 40 CFE if which is a very new design. Apparently some love it and some hate it for distortion. Your lens I have now inquired about as it is not IF (I believe) and thus should have a price closer to $2500 than $4200. We'll see.

Woody

woodyspedden

Victor

Thanks for all your help sorting through this MF stuff. I am trying to diligently do the research on lenses etc as mistakes are very costly indeed.

Woody

fotografz

Woody,

I just sold my 180 CFE for $1800... like new condition. You shouldn't have to pay more than that.

David
Arrrrrrg. I want a 180CFE for my Hassey H3D-II/39 with the CF adapter. I have the CFi version which is optically identical except for the e-contacts I need to auto sync with the H camera.

fotografz

thks

by the way, just looked at the shot for the first time on my calibrated monitor where is looks too red. have to calibrate that mac, where i process infrequently
Looks good to me ... I like the overall color. Really rich.

David K

Workshop Member
Arrrrrrg. I want a 180CFE for my Hassey H3D-II/39 with the CF adapter. I have the CFi version which is optically identical except for the e-contacts I need to auto sync with the H camera.
Marc,

It was posted for sale right here on the Gear for Sale forum. Got mine from KEH, they do pop up from time to time.

David K

Workshop Member
Victor

Thanks for all your help sorting through this MF stuff. I am trying to diligently do the research on lenses etc as mistakes are very costly indeed.

Woody
Trying to do your own research is admirable but it is not an easy task. How many of us have the luxury of owning, say, the Hassy 40mm in both CE and CE IF versions so that we can compare them. I cannot imagine how many hours our friend Son puts into these lens tests. Truly, you would have no time to shoot :) I've been fortunate to have Chuck Jones and Son to guide me on this path, both in back and lens selections. There are many members here far more experienced than you and I. Seek their advice and use your own best judgment about what's important to you.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy

In fairness to Sean, I think the lens he was quoting me was a mint 40 CFE if which is a very new design. Apparently some love it and some hate it for distortion. Your lens I have now inquired about as it is not IF (I believe) and thus should have a price closer to $2500 than $4200. We'll see.

Woody
Guy

Woody
Well I never said it was a 4200 dollar lens either. they go as high as 2900 and as low as 2400 . Believe me Sean is extremely fair with me and has also been very generous on my purchases, i bought my ZD from him and almost all of my gear. Whatever he gives me is fine and i actually have no clue . I just told him what i wanted and he said done and i may have some store credit. i just spent over 12k with him and others as well when we were there in Carmel. Great dealer and great friend to me. He threw a cocktail party for the workshop attendees.