The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV back

gogopix

Subscriber
Guy

In fairness to Sean, I think the lens he was quoting me was a mint 40 CFE if which is a very new design. Apparently some love it and some hate it for distortion. Your lens I have now inquired about as it is not IF (I believe) and thus should have a price closer to $2500 than $4200. We'll see.

Woody
woody
that would be a very good price for the CFE IF. They are 4600+ now for used, and are (were) over $5,000 new. They are discontinued I believe

check the photonet HB links for this lens. Lots of opinions and a few facts :D but the distortion is overstated, as is the extra resolution. If it weren't for the great price I likely would have gotten the non IF for a few thousand less.....
.....................................NAH, I don't believe that any more than you do. I would have hocked something for the IF. The images are spectacular (as special as the 21mm is in 135 format.

The 40mm is a candidate for the sharpest lens even built by HB (along with, let's see, 180mm, the 250mm SA, and... well I guess it is down to those three, at least in the HB V world.

Anyway, whatever you get you will not be diappointed. the 40mm has been consistently a great performer.

regards
Victor

fotografz

You left out the 100/3.5 Victor. Virtually distotion free, with resolving power so high it's used for scientific applications.

Woody, you can get caught up in micro debates concerning these lenses, when in fact they are all spectacular performers, and the differences are difficult to detect in real world applications.

Yes, there are some that do stand out a bit more than others. However IMO, and depending on application, it would be better to have the versatility of 2 different focal lengths than one lens at twice the price. If you were shooting a 39 meg Multi-Shot digital back the 40IF might help, but with the CFV or film it'll be hard to detect any real world difference ... it'll be there, but it is not a quantum leap in IQ.

I know I'll get flamed for providing a voice of reason ... but what the heck ... ;)

gogopix

Subscriber
You left out the 100/3.5 Victor. Virtually distotion free, with resolving power so high it's used for scientific applications.

I know I'll get flamed for providing a voice of reason ... but what the heck ... ;)
yes, good point, however, I was just talking about the 40mm versions WRT price.

jlm

Workshop Member
mark:

anyway to tell the current battery charge status on the CFV back?
i have a twin charger with a dubious readout: one battery shows no led lit on the charger (that is supposed to mean "end"), one shows blinking red after an hour (supposed to mean 98% full) and one shows constant red after an hour, (charging) though it did start to blink briefly
charger is the sunpak picture plus, twin v102; is this a good unit?
thankx
jm

fotografz

mark:

anyway to tell the current battery charge status on the CFV back?
i have a twin charger with a dubious readout: one battery shows no led lit on the charger (that is supposed to mean "end"), one shows blinking red after an hour (supposed to mean 98% full) and one shows constant red after an hour, (charging) though it did start to blink briefly
charger is the sunpak picture plus, twin v102; is this a good unit?
thankx
jm
Check out this one from Sony.

Quick, full info including hours/minutes, trickel charge. Get the Sony battery while you're at it.

Last edited:

atanabe

SWC - circa 1967 non T* lens with CFV. The building is the EMP (Experience Music Project) in Seattle. It was designed by Frank Gheary and is covered in dichroic metal panels that change based on the incident light.

Last edited:

fotografz

SWC - circa 1967 non T* lens with CFV. The building is the EMP (Experience Music Project) in Seattle. It was designed by Frank Gheary and is covered in dichroic metal panels that change based on the incident light.
Too cool! :toocool:

woodyspedden

woody
that would be a very good price for the CFE IF. They are 4600+ now for used, and are (were) over $5,000 new. They are discontinued I believe

check the photonet HB links for this lens. Lots of opinions and a few facts :D but the distortion is overstated, as is the extra resolution. If it weren't for the great price I likely would have gotten the non IF for a few thousand less.....
.....................................NAH, I don't believe that any more than you do. I would have hocked something for the IF. The images are spectacular (as special as the 21mm is in 135 format.

The 40mm is a candidate for the sharpest lens even built by HB (along with, let's see, 180mm, the 250mm SA, and... well I guess it is down to those three, at least in the HB V world.

Anyway, whatever you get you will not be diappointed. the 40mm has been consistently a great performer.

regards
Victor
Well Victor

Not sure I am sane (actually pretty sure I am not!!!LOL) but I just traded my 15 Elmarit for the 40 4.0 IF. At the very least I will have a very wide for my CWD that rivals my ultra wide for 135 format. We'll see right

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
Interesting trade Woody... let us know how you like the 40 CFE IF. I had it for a while but no longer.

fotografz

Trying to do your own research is admirable but it is not an easy task. How many of us have the luxury of owning, say, the Hassy 40mm in both CE and CE IF versions so that we can compare them. I cannot imagine how many hours our friend Son puts into these lens tests. Truly, you would have no time to shoot :) I've been fortunate to have Chuck Jones and Son to guide me on this path, both in back and lens selections. There are many members here far more experienced than you and I. Seek their advice and use your own best judgment about what's important to you.
Good advice.

Woody, if you did get the 40IF, think of it this way ... if there is any slight distortion it's easy to correct in a number of post programs including PSCS3, on the other hand increased resolution can't be added in post : -)

gogopix

Subscriber
Well Victor

Not sure I am sane (actually pretty sure I am not!!!LOL) but I just traded my 15 Elmarit for the 40 4.0 IF. At the very least I will have a very wide for my CWD that rivals my ultra wide for 135 format. We'll see right

Woody
depending on condition, seems reasonable. I may have thought the 15 was closer to 5k but maybe that was new. was the 15mm the ASPH? lists differ by almost 3k

fotografz

They look fantastic. Nice work and a great testimonial for the CFV.

Do you have to use Flexcolor or will Adobe Camera Raw read the raw files?
Doug, you can either use Flexcolor or Phocus to read the files and process ... or use Flex/Phocus to do a quick DNG conversion of any selected file or group of files ... and use Lightroom/PSCS3 or any processor that reads DNGs.

Recently Aperture included Hasselblad 3F RAW as a directly supported file format. Hopefully, Adobe will eventually do the same.