The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV back

atanabe

I think the CFV II back is a "we ran out of parts" interim solution. The supplier of the LCD screens stopped producing them. In order to keep selling the CFV, Hasselblad had to switch to a larger LCD, while at it, replaced the IR filter with the same one being used in the H system backs. Economy of scale?

If you look at the aggressive pricing of the CWD/40 promotion, the price is the same as the old CWD with 80. In effect they have discounted the CFV by $2500 if you itemize the components. This looks like they are setting the stage for a large upgrade this coming September. I personally would love a full frame sensor, just don't know if my pocketbook is big enough.

fotografz

I think the CFV II back is a "we ran out of parts" interim solution. The supplier of the LCD screens stopped producing them. In order to keep selling the CFV, Hasselblad had to switch to a larger LCD, while at it, replaced the IR filter with the same one being used in the H system backs. Economy of scale?

If you look at the aggressive pricing of the CWD/40 promotion, the price is the same as the old CWD with 80. In effect they have discounted the CFV by $2500 if you itemize the components. This looks like they are setting the stage for a large upgrade this coming September. I personally would love a full frame sensor, just don't know if my pocketbook is big enough.
That's probably more accurate than anyone would like to admit. Yet I'll take anything I can get, no matter what the reason is.

However, staging for a large upgrade this September is wishful thinking ... which I hope is correct ... but I doubt it.

Think it through. They would have to solve the mechanical triggering issue for anything other than a square sensor. A larger square sensor would only work on the 500 and the discontinued 200 series camera NOT the 645. So without the H camera, economy of scale goes out the window for any new sensor. Phase One is in the same boat ... they also get their sensors from Kodak and are aligned with the Mamiya 645 AFD-III.

A larger square sensor is more likely to come from Dalsa who makes sensors for Leaf and Sinar ... for application on the Hy6 which is a digital ready 6X6 camera.

atanabe

That's probably more accurate than anyone would like to admit. Yet I'll take anything I can get, no matter what the reason is.

However, staging for a large upgrade this September is wishful thinking ... which I hope is correct ... but I doubt it.

Think it through. They would have to solve the mechanical triggering issue for anything other than a square sensor. A larger square sensor would only work on the 500 and the discontinued 200 series camera NOT the 645. So without the H camera, economy of scale goes out the window for any new sensor. Phase One is in the same boat ... they also get their sensors from Kodak and are aligned with the Mamiya 645 AFD-III.

A larger square sensor is more likely to come from Dalsa who makes sensors for Leaf and Sinar ... for application on the Hy6 which is a digital ready 6X6 camera.
Mark,
The cost of a full frame CFV would have to be at least $20K, as the cost of the sensor is dependent on how many sensors per wafer. The size of a 6x6 sensor would be equivalent to 1.3 645 sized sensors which are already in the $20K range.

It is wishful for a full frame CFV but without dreams where would we be?

Regards,
Al

Uaiomex

But what about a 44X44 sensor? It wouldn't be that much now, especially if rumors about FF 645 for Kina are true. Or "better" yet (read cheaper) a smaller 42X42" sensor, big enough for maybe 24million big fat pixels. Big big plus: Will fit every 645 camera in the world. For an example, it would turn a Mamiya 645D into a waist level finder camera!!
V's around the world will rise in unison chanting green odes to the industry.
But we can only dream because we live on Waist planet...still.

Eduardo

Mark,
The cost of a full frame CFV would have to be at least $20K, as the cost of the sensor is dependent on how many sensors per wafer. The size of a 6x6 sensor would be equivalent to 1.3 645 sized sensors which are already in the $20K range.

It is wishful for a full frame CFV but without dreams where would we be?

Regards,
Al

Last edited:

bensonga

And "Me" makes "Three."

Just sent my 203FE off for the conversion for the CFV, and will continue to use film or digital with this wonderful camera ... accompanied by it's little leaf shutter 645 brother the H2F :)
Hi Marc,
I'm relatively new to the world of Hasselblads....the 203/205 cameras seem to be hard to come by.....are they a real improvement over the 501/503 series cameras? I saw what looked to be a really nice condition 203FE with 110/2 lens and film back on ebay recently for over $5,000....is that about the market price for one of these? Lastly, is the H2F only film or will it take a digital back also? I was trying to determine the difference between the H2 and the H2F.

I think the 503CWD-II with the 40mm IF lens is still the way for me to go.....but it's good to know about the alternatives.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

fotografz

Hi Marc,
I'm relatively new to the world of Hasselblads....the 203/205 cameras seem to be hard to come by.....are they a real improvement over the 501/503 series cameras? I saw what looked to be a really nice condition 203FE with 110/2 lens and film back on ebay recently for over $5,000....is that about the market price for one of these? Lastly, is the H2F only film or will it take a digital back also? I was trying to determine the difference between the H2 and the H2F.

I think the 503CWD-II with the 40mm IF lens is still the way for me to go.....but it's good to know about the alternatives.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Hi Gary.

The 500 series cameras are 6X6 Leaf Shutter cameras (the shutter is located in the lenses, not the camera body), and the 503CW is still in production. These are the "Classic" Hasselblads, and there are many of these cameras in use. They use "C" type lenses. The shutter is located in the lenses and provides a top shutter speed of 1/500th with flash sync at any shutter speed. There is no meter in any 500 series camera. TTL metering can be done by using a metered prism ... but the readings have to be manually transfered to the lens aperture and shutter speed rings. Zeiss F and FE type lenses cannot be used on a 500 series camera because there is no Leaf Shutter in the lenses.

The 203 and 205 cameras are discontinued 6X6 models but still serviced by Hasselblad. Fewer of these cameras were produced compared to the 500 series and were more expensive new ... which is why they are harder to come by and cost more used. They are Focal Plane shutter cameras (shutter is located in the camera) with a top shutter speed of 1/2000th and a flash sync of 1/90th. They have built in TTL meters and can be shot in manual mode or aperture preferred mode. You can use any F or FE lens, as well as any "C" lens made for the 500 series cameras. "F" series lenses tend to be faster maximum apertures than C lenses. FE lenses communicate directly with the camera and are the more desirable versions.

The 500 series can take almost any digital back ever made by using a sync cord from the "C" lens sync port to the digital back, but only the CFV and CVF-II are integrated and eliminates the need for a sync cord. The 200 series cameras can only be used with a CFV type back and retain full functions. Both 500 and 200 cameras can take film backs.

The H2F is a 645 Leaf Shutter type camera with a top shutter speed of 1/800th and flash sync at all shutter speeds. Like all H cameras it provides TTL metering with a metered prism, and offers Aperture Preferred, Shutter Preferred, Program and Manual control. The H2F was offered after Hasselblad introduced the H3D-II digital models which eliminated the ability to use a film back. The "F" is supposed to mean "Film." The previous H1, H2, and H3 cameras can also use film backs, but are discontinued models available on the used market (or remaining dealer stock if any).

Currently the H2F will accept any Hasselblad CF type digital back. These backs currently come in CF/22, CF/39, and CF/39 MultiShot. All CF backs require an on-board battery to operate, they do not draw power from the grip battery the way H3D-II cameras do. CF digital backs in turn can be used on a broad range of different medium format cameras by using a system of "iAdapters" from Hasselblad.

The difference between a H2 and a H2F is that the H2 can be fitted with many different digital backs. To date, other manufacturers do not have the firmware requirements to integrate their backs on a H2F ... but the camera is very recent.

The other difference between the H2 and the more recent H2F is that the H2F has more features.

All H cameras use the system of HC lenses ... but can also use the "C" type Leaf Shutter Zeiss lenses by means of a CF adapter.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse :ROTFL:

Here's a H2F with a CF adapter which allows use of all "C" Type Leaf Shutter lenses in this case a Zeiss 40/IF:

Last edited:

bensonga

Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up....it cleared up several misunderstandings I had and gaps in my knowlege of the various Hasselblad systems. Wish I could afford a pair of 200 and H series cameras, in addition to the 503CWD-II/40 I'd like to get! Guess I'd better concentrate on building one MFDB setup first.

Most of my photography is pretty slow and methodical, so I think the 503CWD will work fine for me.

Thanks again!

Gary Benson

bensonga

More great images from the shipyard JLM! I just can't get over how colorful things are there.....I've really enjoyed your photos. Hope I can get some images with the CFV & 40mm combo that are even 10% as good as yours.

Keep 'em coming! :thumbs:

Gary Benson

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks guys. i see the shot when taking it, but am still amazed at the screen images espcecially thr color rendering, as well.
on those two, here was the workflow, shot at 100iso:
move high and low sliders on the histogram to touch the curve
adjust temp to 4750, tint to 33
output a tiff to cs3, run jack's web converter
pretty simple

woodyspedden

Hey John

Can I suggest that you should do a book on the shipyards using the wonderful images you have obtained with the CFV back. A picture on one page and text describing what you are shooting on the other would be great but if there is not enough text to fill the page, a paragraph or two under the photo works as well.

Should be a great seller

Woody

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Hello Jim,
A close friend and local photographer has the same setup along with an H2 22 and he tells me that he often grabs for the CFV. Awesome shipyard pictures.

jlm

Workshop Member
one more;
the thing with the holes is actually a "boat/door", right now it has been sunk and the exterior water pressure is forcing it against the edge seal and the dry dock has been pumped out. to bring in a ship, they pump water back in the dock, pump water out of the "boat/door" to float it out of the way.
this drydock has been in service since 1860