The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D40 @ 800 ISO

fotografz

Yeeaahh, Marc, building TWO Hassey kits at once might not be considered "progress" at CAA.

;)
But ... but ... but ... he stammered.

I sold off an entire lifetime collection of 503CW and 203FE systems (like 30 pieces of prime real estate), an entire Nikon DSLR system (12 pieces), and my 949 scanner.

That got me to step 6 ... but Leica M9 stuff took me back to step 4 ... and I haven't bought anything else since last week :thumbup:

"Hello, I'm Marc Williams, and I am a Cameraholic. It has been 6 days since I used my Pay Pal account." :salute:

Jeffg53

I get an error saying that this account is generating too much traffic when I try to download David's file. Does anyone have any idea how long it gets blocked?

Stuart Richardson

It's an 90mb file Jeff -- I suppose that too many people downloaded it. I would send you mine, but I deleted it already!

David -- by the way, I did not mention how impressive the file is, as well as the shot. Nice and sharp corner to corner, no distortion, nice color. MFDB has come a long way.

Gary -- Yes, I got an X5 through the local dealer here in Iceland! I have had it since December, and it is already really helping the business. It has not covered its costs quite yet, but it is well on it's way there and I have only had it for less than 3 months! It is a dream to work with, and a real upgrade from the 646 I was using before -- primarily in speed, but also in the precision of the mechanics. I think they have refined things quite a bit since the 646 was first made. Maybe it is just because my 646 is several years old and this is a new one...

Anyway, sorry to go off topic there.

I get an error saying that this account is generating too much traffic when I try to download David's file. Does anyone have any idea how long it gets blocked?
Hi Jeff,

Yes, seems Dropbox does have some flood control.

The thread has had 600+ views so I guess the public part of my Dropbox got a bit overloaded!

If anybody would like the file, then drop me a PM and I will do my best to sort something out.

David

gogopix

Subscriber
Okay, I really bullied this file ... pushed it around like crazy.

I like to do that with test files to see how flexible it is in bad conditions rather than nice light.

Corrected perspective a ton, pushed the exposure a bunch looking for shadow performance, really pushed the color adjustments to the limits, used all my standard stuff like "Smart Sharpen" and Nik Define2.

These new 40 meg sensors can take quite a beating, and the detail resolving power of the little pixel sensors has been ratcheted it up a notch IMO.

Looks even better printed @ 21" wide on the 3800. What noise visible @ 100% on the monitor, is virtually gone in the print. Not bad. not bad at all.

Love to work the RAW file in Phocus-II @ 16 bit going in (hint, hint: -)

-Marc

Top: Org file - Bottom: bullied file ... and bully-boy severe crop details.
Marc
I know you are a particularly careful practitioner. Are these 100% crops? or more?

If they are 100% crops, they are singularly unimpressive; blotchy, undetailed. Is there some heavy NR going on?

I know you 'pushed the raw around" but I have never seen anything like this from say a phase 100% crop.

Victor

fotografz

Marc
I know you are a particularly careful practitioner. Are these 100% crops? or more?

If they are 100% crops, they are singularly unimpressive; blotchy, undetailed. Is there some heavy NR going on?

I know you 'pushed the raw around" but I have never seen anything like this from say a phase 100% crop.

Victor
Sorry, not sure what part of "Bullied" you didn't grasp.

It wasn't a RAW file. I asked for a 16 bit RAW file rather than a preprocessed 8 bit Tiff ... which David said he'd get to me later.

The crops are more than 100%.

Actually, I'd never over-process a "real" image this much unless it was to save a "user screw-up" wedding shot that couldn't be repeated ... which happens.

As I mentioned in the post, this was a torture test. I've done the same with provided Phase One, Leaf Aptus and other 35mm DSLR files for my own enlightenment. I am always interested in stretching the rubber band until it breaks so I know where to draw the line.

Most importantly, I was curious how it would print, rather than what a sub 1 meg jpg looks like on a computer screen ... and it looked fine @ 20" wide on the long side ... which I also mentioned.

Sorry, can't show you that. ;)

-Marc

fotografz

Lesson learned ... NEVER post anything less than perfect ... never push a file for the learning it can provide ... it'll be jumped on by someone looking to justify their own decisions.

People HAVE GOT to get over the superiority complex that infects trying to learn something here. All these systems are more than excellent, and it is minutia we are looking at ... or personal preferences in the details of use.

If I had a Phase One P40+ system file, shot in poor light at a slow shutter speed, I'd torture that also ... and like anything from anyone else it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

I did the same with the S2 ... and it proved it wasn't for me. In less than perfect conditions Phase or Hassey files seem more suited for my applications. Maybe not the same for others at all ... but not for me.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Torture tests are more valid than just straight processing, by a country mile. A man needs to know his limits. Can't remember the movie but Clint nailed it

gogopix

Subscriber
Lesson learned ... NEVER post anything less than perfect ... never push a file for the learning it can provide ... it'll be jumped on by someone looking to justify their own decisions.

People HAVE GOT to get over the superiority complex that infects trying to learn something here. All these systems are more than excellent, and it is minutia we are looking at ... or personal preferences in the details of use.

If I had a Phase One P40+ system file, shot in poor light at a slow shutter speed, I'd torture that also ... and like anything from anyone else it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

I did the same with the S2 ... and it proved it wasn't for me. In less than perfect conditions Phase or Hassey files seem more suited for my applications. Maybe not the same for others at all ... but not for me.
Calm down Marc
I thought you downloaded the raw
My mistake
I apologize.
David, nice crops.

Victor

P. Chong

Nobody interested and able to do a comparison to show the progress from H3D to H3dii to H4D?

0.3s handheld is very impressive...very sharp.

Would someone be able to do the same (ok similar) ISO800 shot with the H3D-39 (either i or ii) and the H3D-31 (i or ii) so we can see the progress H has made going from 3 to 4. Would be interesting, no?