The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasy 40mm on the ZD

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well let me bore you a little more. Seems like the equipment talk is getting to some folks and sorry about that but new gear brings tests and i always share these test for the benefit of others to one save them money or spend it. LOL But really nothing worse than buying something unknown and feeling like you blew it. Been there done that and have the T-shirt with gold engraving on it.:ROTFL:

Anyway i got the Hassy 40mm today and my Fotodiox adapter showed up too , so off to the yard I go. First Jim mentioned he has gone through a couple of these and had infinity issues, i can see that but on the 40mm it seems fine but heck it is a 40mm lens so really hard to say and may not matter much. First off it does work just okay in AV mode but not great and need to play with that more. Now at 5.6, 8 and 11 it is extremely good and sharp to the corners at f4 it does have corner softness but it can be a advantage . Look at this one

Guy Mancuso

Now here is a test at F4 and F8 i did this handheld and it is windy out . Not exactly ideal conditions and waiting for my new ballhead. But you can see the falloff to the corners . Down the middle is killer even at F4. Full images than the crops
F4 first than F8

robmac

Guy you may have mentioned this in another post somewhere, but can you elaborate on which Hassy 40 - older C, FLE (I assume..)?

With ability to use Hasselblad F and C lenses (the later in F mode) on their 2xxx bodies and Mamiya, etc plus the various iterations of (primarily C series) Hasselblad lenses at given FL, it can lead to some head scratching.

OT: Ordered a Fotodiox H-EoS adapter today to replace the #$%! $30 paperweight I got from the other dealer. Adapters from 35mm-35mm adapters I have down cold re: quality suppliers, MF-35mm not so much at moment.

I was actually about to order a unit from Zoerk when I discovered the delivered price with shipping and a 10% Euro-$$ premium (essentially an unprinted price increase) due to the slacking US$ was going bump into the $470 mark - not including the 13% VAT on my end. Took a pass.

Nice looking glass. The entry level MF systems are looking sooooo appealing.

Guy Mancuso

It's the FLE . I used this a long time back in the day when i shot film. Great lens with floating element. Honestly though this maybe the only one i will use this way. I hate stop down stuff. i dealt with that for too many years. But one lens like this will be fine. i will get the rest of the Mamiya's and looks like some new glass is coming soon. A 150 2.8 and a 45-90. Zooms on MF though seem kind of silly. At least to me

LJL

Guy,
Maybe it is just me, but honestly, I am not getting that "jaw-dropping" look or feeling from these. The shot around the pool at f11 does get quite crisp and nice, but that first shot of the flowerpot just seems all soft and blurry or something, especially the corners. Now I realize you were shooting at f4, but that just does not look to be all that great.

The shots down the street look better, but the crops are not showing all that much detail to my eyes, compared to other things you have shown before. I know you are looking for a wider angle lens, and this might be the angle you want, but whatever the set-up, it does not seem to be delivering the snap that it could/should. Just my first blush comments on this, and not meant as rain on the parade.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

LJ the web is doing nothing for them either. That is the biggest issue. Still trying to get Cs3 under control but I really need to burn a DVD of the raws to send to you . This way you can process them to your normal raw processing. The 40mm is very nice and sharp and really the biggest difference is the micro detail and the DR that comes out in MF and i can blow these up to house size, if you know what I mean. The detail is just flat out amazing but taking a 120 mg file down to 900 pixel wide is just killing them. The pot was wide open and the difference between ground and top of pot is about 3 ft , It just does not look that way from the perspective I shot it at. Wide open that is quite a difference in distance but i actually like this falloff wide open. Stopped down this lens is really good. At some point I want to do a 3 way M8,D300 and the Mamiya and my kitchen is the perfect subject. i too want to know HOW much of a gain i am getting. It's there but want to quantify it better.

On a personal note from me too you. If you need this power than the price of admission is too hard to ignore. I know the price is through the roof on some system and there damn good but if you can deal with the quirks of being on the slow side and small LCD which BTW i can see in the Sun. Frankly to me and i mean this in all seriousness this is exactly the big brother of the DMR. Acts just like it with performance of speed. Just much bigger. The gain of course is 10 to 22 mpx because mostly everything else is the same. The DR is at least 2 stops better also and that is huge. I actually have to add contrast to some images , that is how far the range goes. Closest i have seen in digital that compares to neg film in DR area

LJL

Guy,
Completely understand what you are saying about the Web images in this case. My comments were more as comparisons to your earlier shots with the 80/2.8. Absolutely no doubt that those were bristling with detail, DR, good color, etc., and that did get me thinking more about the ZD option as an opening move. I am sure this Hassy lens is good, and capable. It is just not being shown off here, and not sure if that is because of the processing issues you are still struggling with, or something else. I agree that wide open, this could be a very interesting lens to control things, but the flowerpot shot does not show that off, in my opinion. Not faulting your shooting or handling, and the light was brutally harsh looking, but your first shots with the 80/2.8 looked superb by comparison. (Hey, it might be something as simple as not shooting that flowerpot that way, as there is too much that looks like it is getting smeared or something.

Again, only offering up an observation in comparison to other things you have posted. I like the angle on this lens. It looks killer stopped down also. You may have not found the best "test" of it closer in, as the roll-off seems to work harshly with this subject. That may be visible in the bigger files, but it is not coming through on a few of these shots.

(I hear you about the Web preps crushing good files. I was working most of yesterday on some 1DsMkII files for some full-page ads. They came out gorgeous. But no matter what I did for the posting, they looked dull. I finally sent the client a full-res file to look at, and they were blown away. Had me wondering what the hell I screwed up, but the Web compression was crushing details on those 17MP files to make them look like digicam snapshots.....really depressing, but all is good now.)

Thanks for the encouragement on the ZD entry point. As you know, I am still all over the map a bit on what I am going to do. The ZD would be a great entry, plus provide that focal plane shutter option, to which I would add a leaf shutter option at some point also for studio lighting stuff. Watching folks sort through the various lens issues is still the thing I need to sort myself.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Thanks LJ and yes i need to get some better stuff with this lens and the lens is very heavy . I think I need the tripod more on this lens than some others that are not as heavy. I will keep playing with it and get a better feel for it

gogopix

Subscriber
Guy
That is one of my favorite lenses, though a bit big.

how is the viewfinder with stopdown? I use Maxwells on the contax and it is fine at 5.6 but craps out at 8 (as he predicted). Are you using a standard finder glass?

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Not bad at all. MF is big finder . I love it

Just shot a couple more times with it. Not bad at stop down and I got a cable release so real easy with Mirror up than shoot with this system . Now AV mode does work BUT when you go up with mirror than it throws it off. Understandable . But normal shooting in stop down does work with meter pretty well. Actually with this lens you can almost be at F11 and view and focus there without hitting the open aperture button and forget the stop down switch , so it is pretty easy. It IS big and Heavy though. Still will get the Mamiya 35 and 55 at some point. This will be more special purpose stuff . Like interiors and cockpits . I would use the 35mm more for setups with people on location , it would be faster to run that way

Guy Mancuso

I think I am going to sell it though. Great lens but for me right now i need the money to get other lenses in this system and need to get my 17-35 and CV 12 mm back. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice for the better good . i am weak in my systems of lenses and need to fix that. So if anyone wants it , let me know . It is as mint as it gets and the newest version of the 40mm. i will give someone a good deal here . Make me a offer I can't refuse