The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D60 and HCD 4/28

gogopix

Subscriber
Correct and the bottom line it really is a 30mm. Let's remember theses are the only 2 28mm's on the market outside of tech lenses. Not a easy lens to design so I give them both a lot of credit for what they can do outside there small issues. Rather have it than not and I use mine all the time. Probably would have never gone into MF to begin with not having them on the market.
Good point.
Zeiss designed the 35mm for Contax and the 30mm fisheye for Hasselblad. That was for a 60mm film (6x6 645 etc) I can only believe they saw this as a reasonable limit for rectilinear MF lenses (and even the 35mm is about a 21mm equivalent). Other wise they had a separate system for really WA. (film had SOME advantages! :)

If you need more you can shift or stitch. Is less than 21mm really critical for most work (I do remmeber an excellent cockpit shot, 21mm C/Y wasn't it? by Guy)

Anyway, 28 pushes it down to 17mm ?

Maybe it is, as Guy says, just awfully tough to get down there with a reasonable size and price.

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
I am using the HCD 28 with my H3D39 day in day out and I actually never have the feeling I am missing too much WA. And if I would miss it, I would go for a tech camera in front of my 39MP back.
Can the H3d39 go on a tech? say alpa?

gogopix

Subscriber
hmmm... that's too bad, needing an external power.
I use the Alpa TC as a "walkaround" with a 47mm (or 35mm) and P65+ really small.
will the H4d series allow use on tech cameras with just the battery?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
hmmm... that's too bad, needing an external power.
I use the Alpa TC as a "walkaround" with a 47mm (or 35mm) and P65+ really small.
will the H4d series allow use on tech cameras with just the battery?
No, not that I would know - unfortunately!

Hope I would be wrong ....

cunim

How is your TC configured? I would like to use it that way (Hasselblad 50), but with the sync cable, the FW cable, the external battery, and the tiny little black handgrip, it is just not easy to hold. It lives on a tripod.

The H4D/60 back will require external power, either from a battery (e.g. Tekkeon) or the ImageBank. Only good part of that is that the external batteries last a long time.

KeithL

Good point.
Is less than 21mm really critical for most work (I do remmeber an excellent cockpit shot, 21mm C/Y wasn't it? by Guy)

I spend much of my life in narrow alleyways with my back up against a wall :bugeyes:

In the past even the ArcBody/35mm and SWC/38mm have been not been wide enough.The Hasselblad 28mm has been a revelation for me, enabling me to shoot 4 metre high subjects in 2 metre wide alleys. The image quality of the 28mm is remarkable for what is essentially a super-wide MF DSLR lens. Centre definition is as near as damn it on a par with the 80mm and the edges are not far off. Yes, there's distortion, but the DAC corrections do a remarkable job in correcting for it.

I've tried using tech cameras in these situations and frankly they just get in my way. The H series and particularly the 28mm have changed my life!

Keith

gogopix

Subscriber
When you need it, you need it. I know there was a lot of talk of the SK 24mm and the new Rodey 23mm, and how they held up with PC. A tech can get down to 15-16mm but then you lose if you do post correction.

I've found stitching for really wide shots works for me, but the perspective of course is not the same.

Keith, I like the shot, esp the color splash. and contrast. Did you boost the saturation, or was the scene that dramatic (here, the extra punch works well.)

Victor

KeithL

Did you boost the saturation, or was the scene that dramatic (here, the extra punch works well.)
Victor

Shot in very overcast flat light resulting in a particularly flat image. WB adjustment, curves adjustment and tweak on vibrancy.

I've always thought that the least interesting aspect of life is fidelity.

Keith

jlm

Workshop Member
keith: nice shot and I know what you mean, backed up against the wall. try and do that without the waistlevel finder, eh?

KeithL

I should perhaps add that I've been with the best girl in the world for the last 40 years!

:angel:

fotografz

I spend much of my life in narrow alleyways with my back up against a wall :bugeyes:

In the past even the ArcBody/35mm and SWC/38mm have been not been wide enough.The Hasselblad 28mm has been a revelation for me, enabling me to shoot 4 metre high subjects in 2 metre wide alleys. The image quality of the 28mm is remarkable for what is essentially a super-wide MF DSLR lens. Centre definition is as near as damn it on a par with the 80mm and the edges are not far off. Yes, there's distortion, but the DAC corrections do a remarkable job in correcting for it.

I've tried using tech cameras in these situations and frankly they just get in my way. The H series and particularly the 28mm have changed my life!

Keith
F-A-B-U-L-I-C-I-O-U-S Photo Keith! (as usual : -)

I've had the same experience shooting industrial photos where I had to get in an entire dyno room ... cramped to the point that the digital back itself was pressed against the wall ... without the HC/28 and waist level finder it would have been near impossible ... and with all that complex machinery, shot at the angle they wanted, stitching would have been a nightmare if it would've work at all.

That combo on the H3D-II/39 has saved my bacon more than once.

-Marc

KeithL

Marc, there's nothing quite as rewarding than receiving a compliment from someone for whom you have the greatest of respect.

Many thanks, much appreciated!

The HCD/28 was probably the biggest factor in deciding on the switch from V to H.

Keith