The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Digital Back for my Contax 645

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi, yes, truth be told, I've been, uh, "influenced," in some other forums that some of you guys have been part of, and I need to tell you that I've been corrupted but good when it comes to quality optics and equipment. However, a community of addicts is still a community(!) and I'm proud to be a part of it! Gosh it's good to have so many friends who want to help me with my investments!
Not the case at all . If i am going to be broke i am taking friends with me. We can all share the misery together. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

tom in mpls

PS re stitching in CS3: Yes, it rocks ;) Bottom line is you don't even need to use a tripod to make the captures since this version also transforms each frame as needed to more perfectly align at the pixel level -- and yes, it works very well. It generates masks to blend the images at adjacent, similar tone pixels with no feathering...

Here is a shot I took this summer, 5 frames hand-held. Tough to see the total quality in this relatively small jpeg, but you cannot find seams even at 100% view
Jack, it looks amazing. But there MUST be visible artifact where the water surface is stitched together. No matter what pano technique you use, the constantly moving water surface can not match between shots.

Still, though, thanks for showing what a great pano can be made, with no special equipment or software.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack,
That pano is breathtaking... handheld no less. I'm going to the next workshop for sure.
Well it was just announced David only a short distance from you to boot. Plus i just learned we have a bunch of demo gear to be on site in the MF arena to try out. This is going to be a fun time folks. One of the best places in the world to shoot is Old San Juan. Please take a look at the announcements and be there.

More details on this next week.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, it looks amazing. But there MUST be visible artifact where the water surface is stitched together. No matter what pano technique you use, the constantly moving water surface can not match between shots.

Still, though, thanks for showing what a great pano can be made, with no special equipment or software.
Nope, none visible, not even in the clouds which were moving too. The reason is as I said above, the new CS3 version actually masks along an edge of adjacent pixels, no feather, so worst case you have to find an artifact 1 pixel wide. So they may be there, but in practice, you never see them. Bottom line is it works phenomenally well.

T

thsinar

I can confirm how goods this works in CS3: I have seen it with my own eyes, and it's just amazing. The stitching path does not go in a straight and in a linear way, but is following a "zig-zag" pattern.

Thierry

Nope, none visible, not even in the clouds which were moving too. The reason is as I said above, the new CS3 version actually masks along an edge of adjacent pixels, no feather, so worst case you have to find an artifact 1 pixel wide. So they may be there, but in practice, you never see them. Bottom line is it works phenomenally well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I will be happy to demo the technique in Puerto Rico -- it is relatively easy to get great results if you follow a few simple steps.

gogopix

Subscriber
Wow. Hard to believe. What a great tool to have available.
Well I for one need some help. I tried three times. First time in auto, and it crashed (wanted to tell on itself to microsoft!:confused:)
next tries perspective and it didnt blend it just stuck the three together
then went back to auto-same crash

Maybe is can't handle 28mm?

gogopix

Subscriber
However, went to an old version of PtGui, and in 20 seconds I got this.

The only problem is, it started with three scenes of the POTOMAC RIVER
Jack, is that you on the top left?

BTW, say again how you can get the larger image to show here?

Last edited:

tom in mpls

Well I for one need some help. I tried three times. First time in auto, and it crashed (wanted to tell on itself to microsoft!:confused:)

This is getting us off the original topic, however that won't stop me from replying. Since one is simultaneously processing a number of huge files, I assume it requires a very large amount of RAM. Could that be the problem?

gogopix

Subscriber
This is getting us off the original topic, however that won't stop me from replying. Since one is simultaneously processing a number of huge files, I assume it requires a very large amount of RAM. Could that be the problem?
I have 4 GB

It didnt seem to phase PTgiu

gogopix

Subscriber
Perhaps CS3 needs more headroom to store all the intermediate data. Maybe time to pop for the next 4 gigs.
unfortunately i am on a pc and it can only address 4. actually, MS only make 2 GB available to applications.

maybe its time for a Mac;)

tom in mpls

unfortunately i am on a pc and it can only address 4. actually, MS only make 2 GB available to applications.

maybe its time for a Mac;)
Not enough RAM. I believe that Adobe makes it easy to transfer your license across the platforms. Macs rule!

irakly

make sure that photoshop scratch disk is not assigned to your primary drive.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

You have a memory allocation issue in CS3. Try setting your memory to below 70%, like 67% and set cache levels to 6. Auto is fine, but select perspective on the second screen...