The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase 80mm LS vs 80mm D lens

PeterA

Victor - I was (only ) sayin..you have the P65+ - just add one of the Mamiya bodies as you change mount to mamiya from Contax and you are all set to go already. You keep all your favourite glass and you can add the mamiya D series stuff if it pleases you to do so.

No Problemo.

Pete

Stuart Richardson

Just as an aside, Peter, I find it interesting you prefer the Rollei mount 110/2 to the Hasselblad 110/2 FE...I also have both but feel the opposite! I find that the specular highlights from the Rollei version aren't as nice -- they render as pentagons instead of more rounded liked the FE version. Other than that I have not noticed any real difference...except that the hassie version weighs half and goes to 1/2000th...and is more prone to getting stuck aperture blades.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about the bokeh in these photos?

They were with the 80mm f/2.8 Xenotar AF. If the phase LS lenses are made by Schneider, I would be surprised if the optical formulas were very different (or at all different).

PeterA

Hi Stuart. I guess it all depends on how these things are used..within the context of pretty special glass I prefer the rollie mount ( at the margin) for its better moving out of foucs rendition, however I have not noted the specular highlight comparison - because I use these things typically in absence of same.

My FE fell apart internally so I can vouch for their delicate nature - now fixed by Hasselblad. For sure ergonmics in hand held situations speak volumes against the Hy6 and 110 Zeiss - it is fat and heavy. thats why I do prefer a 200/500 series body.

as an aside - Leica makes a ton of glass with same or better outcomes - the M9 is a game changer for me haven't had so much fun with a camera - since....I bought my first M8 - and now no crop factor .

I am thinking radical thoughts re my commitment to MF....

Stuart Richardson

Yes, I certainly agree with you there! After I got the M9, my thoughts of rejoining medium format digital disappeared. MF film is still what I like best, but the M9 is so good, so portable, and the lenses are just more usable overall (there are boatloads of them made over 80 years, from 12mm to 135mm and f/0.95 with a bunch of 1.4 lenses in many focal lengths...). I am not saying I would turn down a P65+! Far from it, but the cost/benefit is no longer working for me. I completely understand why people go for them though. They do have resolution, color and dynamic range that is beyond amazing. Resolution is just one component in a final print, and the M9 does everything else so well that you can print huge from it and still maintain amazing quality -- low distortion, edge to edge sharpness and less critical depth of field concerns compared to medium format go a long way in making a nice large print. At the end of the day it is very important to think about what your output is -- what kind of resolution do you actually need. More is not always better, though I will readily admit that it often is!

But sorry to take this thread off track. I did a bit more research, and the 80mm LS is a 6 element 5 group design, while the Xenotar AF is a 7 element 6 group design, so they are different optical designs. But they should have a familial resemblance...