The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar arTec available for Hasselblad V, H, Phase One/Mamiya backs

carstenw

If you want to create a version of the file that is no longer recognizable by the original raw converters, and you don't mind shifting from one proprietary format to another, than sure, you can convert to dng. DNG, when you pick it apart, is a metadata decorated version of tiff.
Well, the image data is stored differently in general, so all they share is some tag definitions and the general container scheme. The interesting part is generally not the same between TIFF and DNG.

The data in the DNG is only proprietary (as being opposed to open, since it is unimportant if an openly published, license-fee-free and freely implementable format is proprietary in any *other* sense) if the program which you used to export the data chose to keep something in a proprietary format, or refused/was unable to export it altogether, such as Nikon's encrypted white balance.

By the way, if the software from which you exported the DNG can no longer deal with it, it is clear where to point the finger, right? Most manufacturers are resisting the DNG format with tooth and nail (a few are not, such as Leica), but the tools are all there for them to use and adopt.

So, do your your raw conversion first in the native format, then convert to dng if you would like, but there is no benefit to that that you do not realize when converting to tiff other than it is more difficult for the majority of processing tools to deal with it. The only benefit that I can see is that inferior proprietary tools such as lightroom, think of dng as universal, but then look at the results at 100%, and if you have eyes, you won't do that again.
DNG normally still contains the pre-debayered data, and is typically much more compact than a TIFF. I would even go so far as to say that TIFF is the stupid version of DNG, for the purposes of photographers, and the only purpose for which I would recommend it would be as a *final* work, i.e. a negative for future prints, without any further editing being desired.

The advantage of converting to DNG rather than TIFF is that the de-Bayering is still not done, so you have the ability to apply future improvements in this algorithm, when new releases of software comes out, and when was the last release of C1 which didn't claim to have improved the debayering? And the smaller space requirements; it is beyond me why a decent compression scheme has never been universally accepted for TIFFs.

What post-raw-processing tools do you refer to which can modify TIFF but not DNG, and *which are interesting tools for photographers*? :)

By the way, C1 may still have the edge on Lightroom in debayering, sharpness, and white balance, and in colour profile handling, but Lightroom is light-years ahead of C1 in most other ways, and the gap in quality is getting smaller with each revision. I would not bet against Lightroom and other similar tools for very long any more.

It is already the case that when someone actually masters both programs and posts results to demonstrate the superiority of C1, the differences are diminishingly small, but are described as being huge. This trend will only accelerate. Companies like Phase One simply do not have the R&D budget of Adobe, Apple, or other tools companies.

With the Sinar workflow, you can handle debayering, sharpening, white balance and noise reduction in eXposure, then export to DNG and import to Lightroom, to have the best of both worlds. I think this approach was very forward-looking, and am sorry that they couldn't have had a more supportive parent company than Jenoptik.

DNG is NOT the holy grail of file formats., it is the lowest common denominator of file formats.
I am not sure what would make you call DNG the lowest common denominator. It is a container for IPTC/EXIF and the original raw data, unless you chose to bake in the white balance or something else as you exported, your choice. The DNG is only as stupid as each manufacturer chooses to make it.

Bless you David! But that was exactly what you said to me with my H3D! Contradicting yourself again! When you 1st joined LL that Hasselblad does NOT need double cabling in our discussions and then turned around 4 months later and stated to me in the heat of litigation that I needed double cabling to resolve "timing" issue AND that I had a faulty Copal shutter which Linos tested and was said NOTHING was wrong - and Linos went further and gave me a NEW copal shutter and still had issues with your DB. I sent to Copal Japan and they said there was NOTHING wrong!

Then Alpa waded into the debate in Oct 2009 in their news letter.

PS: Further two HR lenses (HR28 and HR40) still have same issue.

We make mistakes so lets move on and get it right.

:angel:
Richard,

As opposed to be blessed I would rather carry out our conversation in a professional manner as is befitting with the general spirit of getdpi.

Furthermore I have no wish to hijack this thread as it is concerning the arTec.

So to finish on my part, stating that we have serious issues with sync timing is unfair and incorrect.

As you have discussed with Hasselblad Support and R&D, this is a situation that may occur with some, not all lenses, and there are workarounds for those that won't sync without a wake-up.

This is somewhat a better situation than always having to use a wake-up signal as opposed to some lenses which do not need it at all.

Regards,

David

David,

Can you tell me what the simple work around is. I had a few problems when I first started using my CFV39 digital back on a tech camera but managed to sort myself out be asking some questions on this forum.

I set the digital back to 2 seconds exposure in the menu. Plug a Hasselblad electronic cable release into the digital back. Send in a wake up signal. Fire the mechanical lens shutter which is set for correct exposure. Back times out at 2 seconds and then writes the file out. The photo is ok when I do this.

If you have a link to a web page or a forum discussion which talks about this please could you let me know.

Regards

Neil
Hi Neil,

Yes, you are doing the right thing here!

You could always see if you lens has an "M" sync setting, then try this, as you may then negate the need for the wake up cable.

David

neil

David,

Thanks very much, When the lens has an m setting will give that a go. I am actually quite happy with the way it all works sending in a wake up signal etc. The method works really well with my Silvestri camera with both LF lens and Hass V lens. Also its one less cable that has to go over the top of the camera so I find it more convenient as the cables get in the way of the sliding adapter.

Regards

Neil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
By the way, C1 may still have the edge on Lightroom in debayering, sharpness, and white balance, and in colour profile handling, but Lightroom is light-years ahead of C1 in most other ways,
DNG is not fully open, as Adobe always does a "few more things" behind the scenes than other DNG converters do. As a raw format, I feel DNG takes a back seat as it is relatively huge compared to proprietary raw formats. While some folks feel LR is way ahead of C1, the conversion quality still basically sucks when compared to what C1 puts out.

But then perhaps my experience with LR has been overly negative. I have had LR permanently trash a file I never intended to trash, and permanently overwrite an entire import of Leica DNG raws, all with the default settings in place! Some say user error, but I say I used the software at its pre-configured, default settings, and these things should NEVER happen to files in a software in native state...

So while it is maybe fair to say 'some' folks prefer the LR workflow, I can definitely tell you I don't. I don't like the forced library conventions and relative inability to move around and reorganize historical libraries either. Total PITA piece of software when it comes to that... Moreover, the workflow is not 'years ahead' of C1 --- in fact, I find C1's workflow significantly more logical, easier to maneuver through -- especially once you learn the short-cuts -- and light-years more efficient to use compared to LR's, at least for me.

But at least we do agree that the quality of the C1 conversion is way ahead of LR's...

Cheers,

carstenw

DNG is not fully open, as Adobe always does a "few more things" behind the scenes than other DNG converters do.
I am not aware of that. What is it they do? Anyway, regardless of how much Adobe hides about DNG, they are still light-years ahead of Phase in the openness sweepstakes, so that is hardly a point in P1's favour.

As a raw format, I feel DNG takes a back seat as it is relatively huge compared to proprietary raw formats.
That depends on the implementation. I don't know which DNGs you were comparing to what. The Leica S2 is brand-new, and I wouldn't make any definitive statement based on that until a year or so from now. Leica is in general very new to the game whereas Phase is an old hand, so if you are comparing those, it says more about Leica vs. Phase than about raw formats. The DNG is the size of the image data you put in it (the rest is negligible), so it really only depends on the effort of the manufacturers in that area.

While some folks feel LR is way ahead of C1, the conversion quality still basically sucks when compared to what C1 puts out.
One of my earlier points was that when you say "basically sucks", then you are talking about differences which many people can barely discern. Many of the best photos every year are made with Lightroom and Aperture. We are moving in a rarefied atmosphere here, and all of the major raw developers deliver very good results compared to anything from even a couple of years ago.

But then perhaps my experience with LR has been overly negative. I have had LR permanently trash a file I never intended to trash, and permanently overwrite an entire import of Leica DNG raws, all with the default settings in place! Some say user error, but I say I used the software at its pre-configured, default settings, and these things should NEVER happen to files in a software in native state...
I won't try to say it hasn't happened, or that it was your own fault, but I also recall reading from people who had lost/trashed files with C1 (possibly the fault was their own). As long as a program isn't perfect, and which program is, this risk is always there. I cannot change your opinion, but Lightroom is not known for being unstable or dangerous, so I think it is safe to say that you had a very rare experience.

So while it is maybe fair to say 'some' folks prefer the LR workflow, I can definitely tell you I don't.
Sure, we all have our own preferences. You are very familiar with C1, which also tips the balance a bit. I find it relatively opaque, and LR transparent, but that is just me.

But at least we do agree that the quality of the C1 conversion is way ahead of LR's...
Well... I didn't say way ahead, and LR3 has closed the gap somewhat. The areas where I was able to do better were debayering (initial sharpness), white balance, noise reduction, and final sharpness, but I find the general tools much better in LR, including some of the newer local area tools. I haven't tried LR3 though, and it is meant to be noticeably better. I suspect that it would remove one or two objections from my personal list.

It is not only Lightroom either; Aperture is also meant to be very good, better than Lightroom in some of the above-mentioned areas, and I am considering switching to Aperture for the next update. It costs the same, I like the development direction of Aperture better, and I like Apple as a company better than Adobe. Anyway, when LR3 is out, I will compare to Aperture and make up my mind.

Paratom

what do you mean by 'eccentric' behaviour and 'chunkiness'? i'm curious as i'm toying with the insane idea* of getting closer to an artec with sinar back and whilst there is plenty of user feedback on phase backs i haven't found that much on sinar backs.

-christoph

* i don't know how often i have read "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here" before clicking on the link to this subforum :).
I believe the fact that there are so few Sinar back people here is caused by - as far as I guess- kind of bad customer relationship of Sinar in the US plus it is also a question of which SLR camera body system you want to use (Mamiya vs Hy6).
If you talk about the back itself (for use on a tech camera) I am pretty happy with the 75LV. (if 33MP is enough for you).
Its an older generation but big size sensor without microlenses and still very good higher ISO, IQ very natural look IMO. And the price has been pretty competitive. You also get the option of mounting all kinds of adapters easily, including the rotating adapter which you can use on Hy6 body and also on the Artec.
Is it clunky? Probably yes, I would say all digital MF backs are clunky, leaf maybe a little less and the S2 not. I dont mind if it would be a little more or a little less clunky.
For me it more about IQ-function-reliability-price.

PeterA

The major 'fault' with the Sinar 75LV back I use is the way the internal mamory works in conjunction with CF card memory. Even copying files between the two is full of issues - all well catalogued. So either shoot to CFor to internal memory. if you shoot to internal memory DONT ever fill the internal memory up - this may lead to a number of issues - including not being able to download your files.

Also careful what kind of formatting you do with the internal memory - it is a convention amongst all back makers that you do a 'format' rather than a delete to get a clean memory to use - with Sinar a format ( the wrong type) can see you lose two important files from internal mempory - and then you are in DS.

Clunkiness is indeed relative - I compare the menu systems and user interface against Hasselbald and Phase One and Leaf - all backs I own or have used - copared to these - Sinar is clunky.

The software menu/interface on teh 75LV is also slower and less intuative. these are qualitative issues for soem - for me it si just a clinky hassle - again compared to other systems.

Still - al lthat being said - I am a big fan of teh Sinar files. The 75LV is a great back to use on a tech camera - because it doesnt have micro lenses and hasnt squished a gazillion pixles onto a chip in order to beat chest abotu # of pixels.

I find Sinar colour workflow to be the easiest to us and get a true natural looking colour from. I think all teh other makers impose a standard 'look' that isnt as neutral as Sinar.

I also like the workflow logic of Sinar - which produces a DNG file after conversion and can be openned by pretty much any piece of software with basic raw processing (temp / color ) of your choice in place.

I cant comment about thethered shooting - I suspect expose wontbe as good or solid as Phocus or C1 - but I dont shoot tethered.

Now overlay another set of clunkiness if you attach teh back to a Hy6. Teh Hy6 is a a beautiful camera - however its early guises is full of issues - like lcd readouts which are a jubled mess, like autofocus which doesnt work, like not being able to write which lens you use on teh metadata on teh back, like clunky exposure readings.

Again these are all teethign problems I am sure and I look forward to getting my camera back as well as teh back all optimised and fixed.
however given original price tags - the user shoudl have had NONE of these issues to contend with.

Stuff you should know - the original Hys body cable release is priced at $600 Aussie down here. Can you believe that nonsense?!!! WTF! make sure you get a special tiny itsy bitsy usb cabel to do firmware upgrdes on teh body - otherwise you cant. WHY WHY two different cables to transfer data from and into??!!!! wtf twere they thinking??

Proprietary Rollie thread sizes - what a total PAIN.
funny hood mounting for lenses and EXPENSIVE hoods for lenses - what another RIP-OFF

So the interface between Sinar and Hy6 and the criminally expensive Rollie pricing regimes =- all contributed to diminish the value proposition for teh combination.

A (moderately) happy owner of Sinar/Hy6 -:) All said I do prefer using the Hy6 to any other body. and if Sinar fixes its software ( careful not to upgrade to version 7.03 Expose) then you have a great back and MF camera with a superb range of optics..

jps

Hello Everyone,

Despite what i said i do seem to have precipitated an argument about DNG ! Sorry !
I am still not clear if Lightroom can read/open P1 tiffs?
As far as the software discussion goes - I find the lightroom workflow very good.Sure there are times where I use other developers/programs for special images , but I find LR is the easiest and best solution (for me) 90% of the time.
here are a couple of snaps of my arTec taken with M9 .. DNG alert !

jps

Hello Everyone,

Despite what i said i do seem to have precipitated an argument about DNG ! Sorry !
As far as the software discussion goes - I find the lightroom workflow very good.Sure there are times where I use other developers/programs for special images , but I find LR is the easiest and best solution (for me) 90% of the time.
OOOPs here are images:toocool:View attachment 28859
View attachment 28860

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Everyone,

Well, P65+ tiffs display about a stop darker then they do in C1.
When you attempt to view them at 100%, the preview takes about 7 seconds to "develop" which tries my patience on a 3.03GHz MacBookPro with 8G of memory.

Lcc corrections are not picked up by lightroom since they are carries separately from the tiff file. The phase one file format that includes lcc data apparently is not supported by lightroom.
Lightroom does not seem to pick up the lens corrections that C1 does for Phase one lenses. You can process a Phase one tiff by c1 and generate a "regular" tiff, which can them be imported into lightroom for cataloging, but the "development" has been done by C1.
-bob

jps

The major 'fault' with the Sinar 75LV back I use is the way the internal mamory works in conjunction with CF card memory. Even copying files between the two is full of issues - all well catalogued. So either shoot to CFor to internal memory. if you shoot to internal memory DONT ever fill the internal memory up - this may lead to a number of issues - including not being able to download your files.

Also careful what kind of formatting you do with the internal memory - it is a convention amongst all back makers that you do a 'format' rather than a delete to get a clean memory to use - with Sinar a format ( the wrong type) can see you lose two important files from internal mempory - and then you are in DS.

Clunkiness is indeed relative - I compare the menu systems and user interface against Hasselbald and Phase One and Leaf - all backs I own or have used - copared to these - Sinar is clunky.

The software menu/interface on teh 75LV is also slower and less intuative. these are qualitative issues for soem - for me it si just a clinky hassle - again compared to other systems.

Still - al lthat being said - I am a big fan of teh Sinar files. The 75LV is a great back to use on a tech camera - because it doesnt have micro lenses and hasnt squished a gazillion pixles onto a chip in order to beat chest abotu # of pixels.

I find Sinar colour workflow to be the easiest to us and get a true natural looking colour from. I think all teh other makers impose a standard 'look' that isnt as neutral as Sinar.

I also like the workflow logic of Sinar - which produces a DNG file after conversion and can be openned by pretty much any piece of software with basic raw processing (temp / color ) of your choice in place.

I cant comment about thethered shooting - I suspect expose wontbe as good or solid as Phocus or C1 - but I dont shoot tethered.

Now overlay another set of clunkiness if you attach teh back to a Hy6. Teh Hy6 is a a beautiful camera - however its early guises is full of issues - like lcd readouts which are a jubled mess, like autofocus which doesnt work, like not being able to write which lens you use on teh metadata on teh back, like clunky exposure readings.

Again these are all teethign problems I am sure and I look forward to getting my camera back as well as teh back all optimised and fixed.
however given original price tags - the user shoudl have had NONE of these issues to contend with.

Stuff you should know - the original Hys body cable release is priced at $600 Aussie down here. Can you believe that nonsense?!!! WTF! make sure you get a special tiny itsy bitsy usb cabel to do firmware upgrdes on teh body - otherwise you cant. WHY WHY two different cables to transfer data from and into??!!!! wtf twere they thinking??

Proprietary Rollie thread sizes - what a total PAIN.
funny hood mounting for lenses and EXPENSIVE hoods for lenses - what another RIP-OFF

So the interface between Sinar and Hy6 and the criminally expensive Rollie pricing regimes =- all contributed to diminish the value proposition for teh combination.

A (moderately) happy owner of Sinar/Hy6 -:) All said I do prefer using the Hy6 to any other body. and if Sinar fixes its software ( careful not to upgrade to version 7.03 Expose) then you have a great back and MF camera with a superb range of optics..
Peter,

All true. However whenever I think of buying another system (I confess to being a gear junkie ) I just pick up the Hy6 with the 110 lens and look thru the WLF -- nothing else that I know of compares .

JOHN

jps

Well, P65+ tiffs display about a stop darker then they do in C1.
When you attempt to view them at 100%, the preview takes about 7 seconds to "develop" which tries my patience on a 3.03GHz MacBookPro with 8G of memory.

Lcc corrections are not picked up by lightroom since they are carries separately from the tiff file. The phase one file format that includes lcc data apparently is not supported by lightroom.
Lightroom does not seem to pick up the lens corrections that C1 does for Phase one lenses. You can process a Phase one tiff by c1 and generate a "regular" tiff, which can them be imported into lightroom for cataloging, but the "development" has been done by C1.
-bob
Bob

Thanks for that. All is clear now !

Cheers JOHN

cly

peterA and t_streng - thanks a lot for your replies re possible issues with the sinar back!

indeed, it's either the artec or another tec camera i'm interested in. being able to rotate the back is something i'd really appreciate and the same holds for a sliding back. and that always brings me back to the artec. (the cambo wrs might be another option but there isn't the kind of sliding back i'd get with the artec).

the resolution of the 75LV would be adequate - and looking at the file quality of my m8 and m9, i don't think that a somehow dated sensor is a problem. the leaf, being rotatable, might be an alternative but then i don't know if i would get a workflow as convenient as the sinar one when it comes to white shading files (assuming it's true what i have read about it :). but then again: i haven't used the sinar software and i happen to like c1 - which i could use with a leaf back.

it's probably time for a test drive ...

-christoph

Paratom

peterA and t_streng - thanks a lot for your replies re possible issues with the sinar back!

indeed, it's either the artec or another tec camera i'm interested in. being able to rotate the back is something i'd really appreciate and the same holds for a sliding back. and that always brings me back to the artec. (the cambo wrs might be another option but there isn't the kind of sliding back i'd get with the artec).

the resolution of the 75LV would be adequate - and looking at the file quality of my m8 and m9, i don't think that a somehow dated sensor is a problem. the leaf, being rotatable, might be an alternative but then i don't know if i would get a workflow as convenient as the sinar one when it comes to white shading files (assuming it's true what i have read about it :). but then again: i haven't used the sinar software and i happen to like c1 - which i could use with a leaf back.

it's probably time for a test drive ...

-christoph
test drive is a good idea.
The SInar software is not complete intuitive-so give it alittle time. After getting used it works just fine (for me).

rhsu

Tested and played with the artec - well done - NO flares with HR40mm. amazing with HR23mm.

Lens shade like Lee's - quick release - adapter on each lens nicely done!

Now just needing to get a DB that works! :ROTFL:

Well DONE - arTec!

BTW: Greetings to "JPS".

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Would love to get my hands on one to test, but extremely difficult to find one anywhere in the states...

Paratom

Would love to get my hands on one to test, but extremely difficult to find one anywhere in the states...
As a (half)business guy I even could get kind of mad how Sinar treats their potential customers in the US. Such a nice and innovative company and then they dont get their customer relationship going in the US.:thumbdown:
I would recommend anybody who is interested to directly call (not mail) Sinar Switzerland. Nice people over there.

PeterA

I can confirm that Sinar ( in Australia) now is run by a fantastic person - a real pleasure to deal with and knowledgeable not only about Sinar - but also about photography- as in real photography.

So it saddens me to hear someone like Jack say that he cant even source a Sinar in the US (of all places) to try.

Seriously they are shooting themseklves in the foot - best products and worst marketing strategies in the largest market...

rhsu

I see your listing.

You will LOVE the arTec - may end up doing some horse-trading (just kidding)!

Many are saying the same - hard to get their hands on one . Perhaps I can convince my Sinar pimp friend (distributor - VERY lovely guy and knowledgeable as per PeterA comment immediately above) to loan me one so I can fly home to LA and see how many I can sign up for one.

Better, Jack, coming from you end is 40% cheaper on Qantas. Everything is so expensive here that's why I ended up buying Cambo 23D - the weight could anchored a QEII! :thumbup: