The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar arTec available for Hasselblad V, H, Phase One/Mamiya backs

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I may try and surprise my wife with a trip to NZ to visit some friends after your winter ends. A few days in and around Sydney on the way over or back would certainly be on the schedule, so mayhaps we can make that happen --- and it's good bet I won't see an ArTech between now and then over here...

But seriously, at least for me, I'm 98% convinced I want a full view cam with movements at each end, and for me that decision is made: the Arca M-2 with Rotaslide. First lenses are either Rodie 40HR, 70HR and 135 APO, or Schneider 47XL, 72 and 135...

rhsu

Actually, I may try and surprise my wife with a trip to NZ to visit some friends after your winter ends. A few days in and around Sydney on the way over or back would certainly be on the schedule, so mayhaps we can make that happen --- and it's good bet I won't see an ArTech between now and then over here...
...do line yourself up with the chap at Capture Scan Print in Sydney(http://www.capturescanprint.com/) (hope I'm allow to provide the link). I think the commission may be that if I sell 10x I get one free from Sinar (..just kidding) - all helps are pro bono and any offences are to further my humility.:angel:

But seriously, at least for me, I'm 98% convinced I want a full view cam with movements at each end, and for me that decision is made: the Arca M-2 with Rotaslide. First lenses are either Rodie 40HR, 70HR and 135 APO, or Schneider 47XL, 72 and 135...
Wow... Arca M-2. What recession back home in US let alone CAL state! Bet you the arTec is lighter to carry in your backpack.:D

thomas

I'm 98% convinced I want a full view cam with movements at each end, and for me that decision is made: the Arca M-2 with Rotaslide.
but on the rear the M2 provides lateral and vertical movements only, AFAIK, i.e. no T/S on the rear... AFAIK.
I am finding those cameras (M2, Techno ...) hard to focus at infinity, especially with wide angles. If the focus goes slighty beyond infinity everything is soft. This is why helical mount is realtively easy to handle.
On the other hand: if you have no trouble with focussing near/at infinity this is a beautiful camera!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I see on the 2 they've removed tilt and swing from the rear standard. Looks like now the M-2 has front and rear rise, rear shift and front swing and tilt. Actually, for my needs, this is perfect balance --- helps keep things aligned and keeps the weight manageable, while maintaining all the movements I regularly use on each standard. Still like it as my preferred choice right now.

thomas

I've ordered that thing to mount it on my Cambo WRS. Man, great and useful little accessory! By now I have just tried it with the regular Cambo lens panel; no trouble at all, of course, as the lens is fixed. Sometime next week I'll get my first lens mounted in a T/S panel. I guess the lens shade will also work fine on that... will see. Also ordered the White Shading Diffusor that can be mounted on the lens adapter rings... so I don't have to hold that white plate in one hand anymore... which is always a bit cumbersome. Nice!

Last edited:

rhsu

but on the rear the M2 provides lateral and vertical movements only, AFAIK, i.e. no T/S on the rear... AFAIK.
I am finding those cameras (M2, Techno ...) hard to focus at infinity, especially with wide angles. If the focus goes slighty beyond infinity everything is soft. This is why helical mount is realtively easy to handle.
On the other hand: if you have no trouble with focussing near/at infinity this is a beautiful camera!
I agree with you that at infinity w/ my HR35 on my then Cambo 23D, even tested with the Sinar. That's why I was looking at the arTec but ended with Cambo WRS as I no longer have the sort of briefs demanding such IQ - all shooting with Canon WA (here in AU).

(Shame on me still rebuking myself for naughty dreams with an arTec.) ... aaah ... one day...

Again... your artec lens shade idea is absolutely a gem!:thumbup:

thomas

I agree with you that at infinity w/ my HR35 on my then Cambo 23D, even tested with the Sinar...
I have no real experience using a rail camera with a DB!! But I know that it's literally impossible to focus e.g. the 47XL at a distance slightly closer than infinity, i.e. almost but not quite infinity. Everything appers to be in focus at these distances (but, of course, it is not in the actual capture). So I think it's somehow a nightmare if you have to focus a wide angle on a rail camera unless you shoot tethered. Closer distances are relatively easy to focus on the GG. With the 47XL at distances from around 8-10 meters and further (but nearer than infinity) I use a laser distometer. Actually works quite well if you know the lens.
And BTW: FORGET any DOF indication for the 47XL, it simply doesn't work if you are really demanding WRT to focus.

(Shame on me still rebuking myself for naughty dreams with an arTec.) ... aaah ... one day...
me too :) if Sinar would have offered Contax mount from the very beginning I'd use an arTec today. I talked to the guys at Sinar the other day and apparently Contax mount is at least not without the realms of possibility as there were some other photographers asking for it as well. Obviously they would even think about mounting a Digitar for me (I'm fine with the Rodenstock line but I'd like to keep the 47XL resp. upcoming 43XL as they provide really huge image circles).
On the other hand the WRS is really a very, very nice compact camera offering a lot of features. And as long as you don't have too much trouble working without a sliding back it will do fine. Very fine actually.

Again... your artec lens shade idea is absolutely a gem!:thumbup:
not really an "idea". I just scrolled through the accessory items on the Sinar site and found the lens shade. As it is mounted on the lens it's obvious that you can use it on all large format lenses.
It has almost the same measurements than the WRS body (same height and a bit wider)... so if you stand in front of the camera you won't see the camera at all :)

David K

Workshop Member
Looking forward to shooting with the ArTec pretty much all day in Tampa on Thursday, March 25th. I'm not much of an architectural shooter but I will try to get some decent shots and post them up. Tampa does have some nice architectural subject matter... I just hope the weather cooperates. If there's anyone reading this who would like to join us please pm me and I'll see what I can do.

rhsu

...not really an "idea". I just scrolled through the accessory items on the Sinar site and found the lens shade. As it is mounted on the lens it's obvious that you can use it on all large format lenses
...I know what you mean "scrolling" through the accessory. I like the Alpa brass soft shutter release for the copal. Couldn't get a price from them as spare parts.

I'm returning to play with the artec again and see what horse trading I can do. I'm going to convince my artec dealer to loan me his unit for my Nullabor/Wilpena Pound expendition - just for pleasure. google those places and you will know why. I was there 20yrs ago with my 6x6 Biogon but got the wrong film to capture the red landscapes - I ONLY had T-Max film!

Paratom

Anyone here any experience with the 40mm HR lens forthe Artec?
I am thinking of exchanging my 35mm HR for the 40mm with the larger image circle.
With the 35 I can shift around up to 12mm but would like more.

rhsu

Anyone here any experience with the 40mm HR lens forthe Artec?
I am thinking of exchanging my 35mm HR for the 40mm with the larger image circle.
With the 35 I can shift around up to 12mm but would like more.
I spent over 2 hrs last Tues playing with artec on HR40mm. We were using Sinar e75 DB and plenty of movements. I'm heading over again to play with the artec more - and won't be shy this time. I'm still bent in sticking with P45+ - because I do not know enough of P65+ and the newer generation Sinar and Leaf DBs.

What is it specifically you want to know? No doubt there would be plenty of feedbacks in due course.

We definitely test for flares - in direct sunlight = NO flares. Of course we didn't purposely shoot to create flares...

We also tilt more than 2* deg. We didn't do stitching. Sinar DB seems okay.

May be DAvid K can enlighten us as he is going out shooting Thurs.

David K

Workshop Member
May be DAvid K can enlighten us as he is going out shooting Thurs.
If there's anything specific anyone would like tested I will do my best. Unfortunately, I'm completely inexperienced with tech cameras but at least will have someone with me who knows the ropes. I'll be using it on my Sinar e75LV but don't know yet what lenses will be available.

rhsu

If there's anything specific anyone would like tested I will do my best. Unfortunately, I'm completely inexperienced with tech cameras but at least will have someone with me who knows the ropes. I'll be using it on my Sinar e75LV but don't know yet what lenses will be available.
I think "t streng" wants the HR40mm tested and pushed hard against on par to his DB.

I just want a good working DB if I am going to horse-trade my RS for an artec. Otherwise, no point in getting an artec! (What good is 20/20 vision with fuzzy brain?):toocool:

What's good enough for you is good enough for me to demo the intended purpose. I wouldn't mind seeing Tampa FL again!

Paratom

The 35HR is very sharp even wide open.
I am interested if the 40HR is also very sharp wide open and if I could expect overall the same performance as the 40HR .

David K

Workshop Member
Pretty sure the lens will be the non-HR 40. I'm going to try some shots around the University of Tampa (where my daughter is a second year student) which has some really beautiful buildings, campus, etc. Get to hug and kiss my daughter after shooting... a nice fringe benefit :)

rhsu

The 35HR is very sharp even wide open.
I am interested if the 40HR is also very sharp wide open and if I could expect overall the same performance as the 40HR .
When I go over to have a further play with the artec, I'll have a play with the said lens fully open and with movements. Of course, what you are asking need not be via artec so others should be able to contribute.

jps

When I go over to have a further play with the artec, I'll have a play with the said lens fully open and with movements. Of course, what you are asking need not be via artec so others should be able to contribute.
Hello,

I would be most interested to see your report on the 40mm . I have the 28,45 and 90 lenses and use with the sinar 75 back. You are right about the Australian agent - David is tremendously knowledgeable and helpful !

Cheers JOHN

rhsu

Hello,

I would be most interested to see your report on the 40mm . I have the 28,45 and 90 lenses and use with the sinar 75 back. You are right about the Australian agent - David is tremendously knowledgeable and helpful !

Cheers JOHN
John,

At a special price of just over of A$10k (export), I am NOT going to tempt fate (but I will next wk) in becoming the next victim in ownership ("Come into my parlour, said the spider to the fly").

...So if I remember what I did last Tues with the HR40, on the Sinar 75, I don't think I saw any obvious adversities - other than my focusing and TS movements - as I was getting adjusted to GG slider. I know I had it wide open and to f8. but of course, the old rule of thumb in stopping down.

Someone had mentioned about the "moustache" on the MTF chart.

David of Sinar AU is actually going to play with the request - so to allow him to fudge the results - (just kidding).:grin: