The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backs with best low ISO performance and lowest noise?

irakly

wow, ektar rocks. i just could not figure out how to mount it. i wish i had someone who could machine custom lens adapters :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
wow, ektar rocks. i just could not figure out how to mount it. i wish i had someone who could machine custom lens adapters :)
I am thinking of just mounting my LF lenses in Mamiya body caps; the Mamiya caps appear flat enough, though I may need to fabricate a shim spacer. I can buy sheets of opaque plastic, cut the appropriate mount hole in them and epoxy them to the cap if I need to. Also looking at mounting pin-holes this way :)

irakly

this is a great idea! now i have to buy all contax body caps before someone else will figure it out :)
i am a bit apprehensive about digital pinhole photography... dust will get sucked right in and land on a sensor, i mean, IR filter...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
this is a great idea! now i have to buy all contax body caps before someone else will figure it out :)
i am a bit apprehensive about digital pinhole photography... dust will get sucked right in and land on a sensor, i mean, IR filter...
The way I see it, dust is so easy to blow off a MF sensor to begin with, that with pinhole it should be a relative non-issue :)

EH21

Definitely and advantage of having a shutter in camera instead of lens..... I have experimented with my Rollei using your body cap method, Jack, and it works fine (at least with the limited auxiliary shutter the Rollei has which can do approx 1/60 only). The rollei body caps are like 5mm thick plastic, and I mounted a Rodagon 90mm APO using a Zork MFS to get tilt. It worked surprisingly well actually.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
It would be good for Lance to pipe in on the raw of the Phase backs. The noise suppression and sharpening can be totally turned off in C1 , but that begs the questions what IS done in the back.

Real raw would be quite a burden for most to comprehend; the current levens from each of the bayer matrix pixels will first need interpolation to RGB at each site, and the over all WP, BP and WB or historgram are needed. I assume Sinar pack stop about here, but we know other systems go on to process, at least for the LCD, but also can show pixel level in the back.

Then there are dead lixels, black level adjustment (for long exposure noise suppression that Leica does and some phase.

It is why as Ray says the next level of improvement may be at the system board level where the back gets better. Sinar will then need to decide, as will Phase and Leaf, where to put the processing; in the back or in the SW.

I am quite axnious to compare the sinar processin to Phase, and will likely rent a 74LV to try

With Contax 645 mount, of course. :D

Victor
Victor,
The Phase One NR is applied via CaptureOne. What is performed in the digital back is a black calibration file that is then sent along with the RAW file to CaptureOne to use the NR process. This is why sometimes the display looks noisy on the digital back because no NR has been applied.
You are correct you can disable sharpening and the noise suppression can be set to low.

L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
[email protected]

D

DougDolde

I am thinking of just mounting my LF lenses in Mamiya body caps; the Mamiya caps appear flat enough, though I may need to fabricate a shim spacer. I can buy sheets of opaque plastic, cut the appropriate mount hole in them and epoxy them to the cap if I need to. Also looking at mounting pin-holes this way :)
Mark Tucker uses Liquid Nails for this sort of home brew stuff. Remember his Plunger Cam?

http://www.marktucker.com/plungercam/

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOLOL! I have been saving an old RB67 Chimney finder and this is a great idea for it. It even has it's own focus mount :)

T

thsinar

Hi Lance,

can the "Noise Suppression" be disabled completely?

Other than this, which tonal/contrast curve is set by default, respectively can the files be given an absolute "linear" curve?

Incidentally, do you know above which levels the highlights are clipped, respectively how it is done?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Victor,

You are correct you can disable sharpening and the noise suppression can be set to low.

L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
[email protected]