The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pleez Help: Mamiya RZ ProIID and PhaseOne users

ocarlo

greetings all,
Mamiya RZ ProIID and P45 (Mamiya 645 mount) w/ adapter plate (no cable).
The last two shoots, after assembling the system, I've been getting problems with the shutter not firing at all..
After much fiddling it finally works - but today I just can't get the shutter to fire at all:
1. replaced Mamiya battery
2. took lenses off/on, took adapter plate off/on, etc...

Is there something I'm missing? Some sequence of putting on adapter plate and camera settings? Used to work before..

Will keep searching for answers but any help is appreciated much...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Your dealer should be able to help you with this.

The RZ Pro IID will not fire unless the back attached is ready to capture. So make sure that the back has storage (e.g. a formatted CF card or a tethered connection with a valid capture folder etc).

The other thing we've noticed time-and-time-again with that particular combination is the back must be placed onto the adapter with unusual vigor. You don't need to "slam" it on per-say, but a certain amount of force exceeding your typical "really careful attaching" is warranted.

I've also seen an IID body where the contact in the body where you put the small battery in were not clean - residue (likely from a previous bad/cheap battery that had leaked but no way to know for sure what it was) was on the metal and preventing a good electrical contact.

And of course the body MUST be in the Multi mode (dial on the right side switches between Rotate, Standard, or Multi).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

ocarlo

Hi Doug,
Thanks again for your usual generosity. Interesting note about attaching the back with some force.
In the end, it was the camera battery. I've had the camera/back less than a year,
have only done 5 day-long shoots.
I always had a battery on the camera, switching between three batteries, always in lock mode when not shooting, and never with the Mamiya adapter attached while in storage.
And yet, all three batteries were dead. I'm shocked at how much juice this camera drains, inspite of all the above precautions.
Lesson: remove battery everytime, buy tons more of them. many thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, been several years since I used an RZ regularly, but the RZ the power winder uses a set of AA's that also power the body when it's attached. Still need the little one in the body compartment IIRC, but at least with the winder attached, the little one (expensive suckers) lasts a lot longer...