The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One DF Battery Life

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm interested if others are experiencing the phenomenal battery life that I'm getting.

My DF came with six Sony alkalines. They have been in the camera for three full months. Today I shot exposure number 813 on the P65+ back and the battery indicator still shows plenty of life yet.

How are other DF owners doing?

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I'm now up to 1,010 shots on the original batteries but I think the end is near. The symbol was flashing to denote "exhausted" while I was outside shooting in cool weather - but when I brought the camera indoors, the pack recovered enough for another dozen shots.

I took this one just to show - it's number 1,010.

How are other Phamiya DF users doing?

kdphotography

I'll stick with the Energizer Lithium AAs.

But if you really really like those Sony batteries, Bill, mine are still wrapped in the plastic and I can send them out to you... :D

Love the new 645DF--- including battery life!

ken

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks, Ken - in fact I'll move to my rechargeable Eneloops when the Sonys finally die. It'll be interesting to see how long they last.

How many shots are you getting from the Lithiums?

Bill

kdphotography

Hi Bill,

I just got my DF recently, so have not even come close to exhausting the Energizer Lithiums. I've always had good luck with the Lithium AAs, going back all the way to the original Mamiya 645AF, AFD, and Phase 645AF.

The other advantage is that the Lithiums are lightweight.

I've got the eneloops too---and just set up one of the camera profiles to be able to switch between the eneloop rechargeables and regular AAs (Lithium).

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm interested if others are experiencing the phenomenal battery life that I'm getting.

My DF came with six Sony alkalines. They have been in the camera for three full months. Today I shot exposure number 813 on the P65+ back and the battery indicator still shows plenty of life yet.

How are other DF owners doing?

Bill
Mine are still going strong too, though I am so accustomed to lugging around a herd of rechargeables that I have yet to adjust to the new lighter reality!

narikin

813 exposures in 3 months ??! That is such low usage, that I am sorry it doesn't say much about the cameras power drain.

I take about 300 or so exposures on the average working day, and use hi capacity rechargeable NiMh AA's, that get topped up about every 2-3 weeks. pretty good.

yes the DF seems to have fixed the 'off' battery hole the AF body had.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
813 exposures in 3 months ??! That is such low usage, that I am sorry it doesn't say much about the cameras power drain.

I take about 300 or so exposures on the average working day, and use hi capacity rechargeable NiMh AA's, that get topped up about every 2-3 weeks. pretty good.

yes the DF seems to have fixed the 'off' battery hole the AF body had.
I don't agree --- IMO it actually says a lot about the current camera's lack of "at rest" drain, which was significant on previous body/back combos. Heck, with my P45+ and AFD3 body, if I left the camera sitting unused for a week, a fresh set of AA's would be DOA.

Personally, I'm still carrying 3 reserve sets of AA's in my bag, because I still can't believe the power suck change could be this significant. But the reality is I can surely loose one of those sets and probably two of them ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use the eneloops all the time and only carry one extra clip with me. I shoot quite a bit actually 6k already on the DF body. I have done about 1500 shots all day long and half of next day and switched batteries just because i thought I should not that I needed to. I carry 5 Phase batteries and barely get through 2 in a day in that same scenario. Things are much better than the past

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Perhaps another contributing factor to DF battery life is that the DF will not take a film back. I suspect (but I'm not sure) that the film wind mechanics were still engaged in the AFD III and previous models even when a digital back was attached.

But as Jack says, there obviously is no drain. My DF was unused for five weeks while I took a trip with my Sony gear and I did not remove the AAs while I was away.

I don't take a multitude of MFDB shots - it's my camera for contemplative tripod-based landscapes and except for bracketing, a typical session will only be about 20-30 shots. Though now that spring is here, usage will increase!

Bill