The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is to be done?

P

pupduda

I have a beautiful, compact Arca-Swiss with 2x3 front and 4x5 back, and three beautiful Schneider lenses (47, 75m, 150). I used this with a Sinar rollfilm back.
Took the camera and tripod across the globe. What is to be done, now that film is impractical/too laborious and digital backs are inaccessible/absurdly expensive?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Really not suitable for use as a planter, Maybe just try shooting with it.
There is still some film around
-bob

yaya

I have a beautiful, compact Arca-Swiss with 2x3 front and 4x5 back, and three beautiful Schneider lenses (47, 75m, 150). I used this with a Sinar rollfilm back.
Took the camera and tripod across the globe. What is to be done, now that film is impractical/too laborious and digital backs are inaccessible/absurdly expensive?
Is $3-5K USD really considered as "absurdly expensive"? That's what you can pay today for a fully portable used digital back...

People spend more than that on other, less creative hobbies...

P

pupduda

You are right, $-3-5K is within reason, in my opinion, too.
Least expensive used back that I knew of was ca. >$10K, until this a.m. when I heard of possibly $7K, and now your information of $3-5K.
Which? Where?
Thank you!

archivue

you will also need shorter and digital lenses, back adapter... and shorter than 45 it's really difficult to focus... a 45 focal lenght with a, aptus 22 is similar to a 110 with a 4x5... not that short !

P

pupduda

I appreciate your advice...and still despair.
The Aptus 22 costs $25K.
I have yet to see any $3-5K used fully portable digital backs.
Many thanks.

carstenw

The Kodak 645 Pro back is usually around $3000... There are some older Phase and Hasselblad (Imacon) backs which might also reach those levels. Some of the 22MP backs are just a bit more than $5k by now.

paulmoore

I sold a 16mp imacon ixpress for around 2300 USD, they are around if you wait and watch..missed a 3500 USD 22mp Multishot the other day.

P

pupduda

Thank you for these two very useful replies.
I will start checking ebay regularly...and getDPI...
leads to other forums for used fully portable digital backs would be appreciated.

Uaiomex

Shoot film with that wonderful rig you have. There's still some film to choose from. Film now is better than ever. I think old backs will disapoint you if you have been printing big and using a good scanner. Just my opinion.
Eduardo

Thank you for these two very useful replies.
I will start checking ebay regularly...and getDPI...
leads to other forums for used fully portable digital backs would be appreciated.

Lars

Shoot film with that wonderful rig you have. There's still some film to choose from. Film now is better than ever. I think old backs will disapoint you if you have been printing big and using a good scanner. Just my opinion.
Eduardo
Yep E100G and Ektar are amazing.

Really tricky to use a 4x5 for DB, especially a monorail. you need to be able to use lenses with very short focal length.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
pupduda

If your back frame is 171x171mm , and that is what I assume , you would also need a format reduction board from 4x5 to 6x9 .
The ARCA SWISS part number is 200002 . The reduction board was anounced , but never built .
I think , for that camera , you should stay with film .
The KODAK EKTAR 100 , will be available as sheetfilm 4x5 starting in April and there are still other good films around .
6x9 and 6x12 rollfilm holders are available as well , to be used with the internationl 4x5 back .

Jürgen

P

pupduda

I appreciate greatly each of these last three responses that bring experience and knowledge to my kit blessing/problem. Thank you.

I am moving from hesitation back to film, now.

Suggestions for USA mail-expedited, high quality, processing and scanning of
6 x 9, 6 x 12 b/w and color roll film would be greatly appreciated.