The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's talk software

jlm

Workshop Member
i tried out the phocus on my macbookpro; the viewer is so much superior to flexcolor. is is very similar to Lightroom, but missing a few extras.

Unfortunately, my big machine, where I have the Eizo monitor and my printer, is a PC and my mac is the home unit or maybe the tether commander. Marc: do you expect hassey to make a pc version when out of beta?

fotografz

i tried out the phocus on my macbookpro; the viewer is so much superior to flexcolor. is is very similar to Lightroom, but missing a few extras.

Unfortunately, my big machine, where I have the Eizo monitor and my printer, is a PC and my mac is the home unit or maybe the tether commander. Marc: do you expect hassey to make a pc version when out of beta?
RE: PC ...I have no idea.

But the "real" public Beta is now available. The one we've been using is the demonstration version ... not the actual Beta. I got the announcement today.

It looks like there is more stuff to it especially in the color controls ... I'm going to download it now and play. Stay tuned.

PeterA

Thanks for that Marc I will update as well... It is with a great amount of happiness that I can now enjoy a decent work flow from both Hasselblad and Phase One. Phocus will be a killer app for 'blad.

fotografz

Sent you a file via yousendit.com. Just a VERY rough image to give you something to play with. Taken with e54LV and Exposure.

If anyone else wants it, download it here (limited time):
http://download.yousendit.com/3472F5E663A56F18
Thank you Graham!

It's downloading now. My interest isn't in replacing my Hasselblad digital system, but instead making use of the complete V system I already own. I need a back-up MF digital solution anyway, and it can be anything ... so why not one that'll work on the 203FE?

fotografz

Sent you a file via yousendit.com. Just a VERY rough image to give you something to play with. Taken with e54LV and Exposure.

If anyone else wants it, download it here (limited time):
http://download.yousendit.com/3472F5E663A56F18
Okay, downloaded and opened in CS3/ACR. A few questions if you don't mind.

This was from a 22 meg back with 9X9 micron pixes ... which I think is exactly what I want for use on the 203FE ...

How does the e54LV differ from the new 54MC? I assume they are both tethered backs ... which isn't what I need for the 203FE ... which brings me to the eMotion22. But your file shows what the 22 meg back produces @ ISO 50, so that helped.

However, when I look at the specs of the eMotion22 on the SinarBron site, it lists it as offering ISO 25 to 200. This simply won't cut it for mobile use with the 203FE ... I need at least a GOOD ISO of 400 ( and ISO 800 would be helpful) to keep the shutter speed up.

This pushes me into the eMotion75 ... and now we're into some real money ... LOL.

Also, I am still paranoid about the Sinar working on the 203 when FE lenses are used. I know the CF lenses will work, the 203 will also work with a Hasselblad CF back ... but only with CF lenses mounted and in the leaf shutter mode.

robsteve

Subscriber
But the "real" public Beta is now available. The one we've been using is the demonstration version ... not the actual Beta. I got the announcement today.
Marc:

I just downloaded it from the Hasselblad site, but it seems to be version 10b13, which is the same as the one I downloaded a week ago. Is there a newer version?

Robert

T

thsinar

Marc,

I will try to answer, if you don't mind.

- the SB 54M or 54 MC (cooled) is a 22 Mpx digital back which can be used only tethered (Kodak sensor), without display.
- the Sinarback eMotion 54 LV (or previously eMotion 22) is a different and newer generation of back, with a 22 Mpx sensor from Dalsa, with a display and controls on the back. This eMotion backs can be used un-tethered and tethered, they have an internal hard-state memory of 4 GB, as well as a slot for the use with CF cards. They work with a battery giving an autonomy of 2.5 to 3 hours shooting. As such, this cannot be compared with the SB 54 M/MC.
- the previous eMotion 22 was using the same sensor as the current eMotion 54 LV: it has been discontinued and replaced by the eMotion 54 LV, with Live Video capability and with a new electronic board. The ISO range was effectively from 25 to 200 with the eMotion 22, and is from ISO 50 to 400 with the eMotion 54 LV.
- the eMotion is capable of good ISO 400: I guess Graham has already published some sample files elsewhere, if I am right.

I hope this helps and clarifies.

Best regards,
Thierry

How does the e54LV differ from the new 54MC? I assume they are both tethered backs ... which isn't what I need for the 203FE ... which brings me to the eMotion22. But your file shows what the 22 meg back produces @ ISO 50, so that helped.

However, when I look at the specs of the eMotion22 on the SinarBron site, it lists it as offering ISO 25 to 200. This simply won't cut it for mobile use with the 203FE ... I need at least a GOOD ISO of 400 ( and ISO 800 would be helpful) to keep the shutter speed up.

This pushes me into the eMotion75 ... and now we're into some real money ... LOL.

Also, I am still paranoid about the Sinar working on the 203 when FE lenses are used. I know the CF lenses will work, the 203 will also work with a Hasselblad CF back ... but only with CF lenses mounted and in the leaf shutter mode.

jlm

Workshop Member
the phocus i downloaded two days a ago is 10.16b, that is still listed on hasselbladusa for registerd users

robsteve

Subscriber
I just figured it out. You have to log in to get the latest version.

I am a bit off topic because I am trying to use it with DMR files. It wil read them but the output looks nothing like in the Phocus application. I think it is using the Hasselblad RGB.icc profile, rather than the DMR one that Flexcolor uses.

Anybody figure out how to change the input profiles? In other words, if you have a custom profile for your particular back and shooting conditions.

Where did the Auto button that was in Flexcolor get to. It is a bt slower dragging around the points on the histogram by hand.

Robert

Last edited:

fotografz

the phocus i downloaded two days a ago is 10.16b, that is still listed on hasselbladusa for registerd users
The demo version was V10b13.

The latest public beta version is 1.0b16

Man, the new color control wheel under adjustments is something else. Fantastic!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW just got C1 4.1 beta today and now it can see my ZD files but everything is about a stop brighter than LR. Still playing around

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
BTW just got C1 4.1 beta today and now it can see my ZD files but everything is about a stop brighter than LR. Still playing around
Guy - In C1 4, In the Quick Tab > Base Characteristics > Curve - The default is Film Standard.
Try Linear Response. It will be less bright. It will also lose some "pop" but you can get it back by adding a simple curve in the Exposure Tab.

I find that many times Film Standard blows the highlights on some images so I will use Linear Response.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
With my H3D-39 and a dual quad core mac with a dedicated fast scratch drive and 10.5 here's my workflow (based on all of a month's experience): Import raw files to phocus saving the fff files to the scratch drive. Phocus is fast, given the file sizes, at importing and exporting. Responsiveness while editing, however, is quirky - I suspect that it has not yet been fully optimized for speed. So I limit edits in Phocus: I apply my defaults (sharpening and lens correction), toss out the shots of my shoes (I take a shot of nothing when I turn the camera on to make sure that it's alive and well), and correct any obvious exposure and white balance mishaps. I then export as DNGs with prophoto color space using my file naming conventions, to my current storage location. I copy the original 3frs to a subfolder in the same location, and backup. One of the many advantages of Phocus over Flexcolor is it's ability to export DNGs. I periodically clean the fff files off of the scratch drive.

I then use the DNGs in my Lightroom workflow. If images turn out to have noise (uncommon) or moire issues or need substantial exposure corrections I go back to Phocus to revise and export a new version. By stacking the moire-fixed and non-fixed versions of an image in PS and masking you can limit the application of anti-moire to the region that needs it.

The files stitch beautifully with the current version of PTGui (see my Central Park on another thread). I use Helicon Focus fairly frequently to extend depth of field - it works fine. These two software techniques provide most of the benefits of view camera tilts and shifts. I've tried various EDR techniques - Photomatix works fine technically, but I generally don't care for the EDR look.

fotografz

With my H3D-39 and a dual quad core mac with a dedicated fast scratch drive and 10.5 here's my workflow (based on all of a month's experience): Import raw files to phocus saving the fff files to the scratch drive. Phocus is fast, given the file sizes, at importing and exporting. Responsiveness while editing, however, is quirky - I suspect that it has not yet been fully optimized for speed. So I limit edits in Phocus: I apply my defaults (sharpening and lens correction), toss out the shots of my shoes (I take a shot of nothing when I turn the camera on to make sure that it's alive and well), and correct any obvious exposure and white balance mishaps. I then export as DNGs with prophoto color space using my file naming conventions, to my current storage location. I copy the original 3frs to a subfolder in the same location, and backup. One of the many advantages of Phocus over Flexcolor is it's ability to export DNGs. I periodically clean the fff files off of the scratch drive.

I then use the DNGs in my Lightroom workflow. If images turn out to have noise (uncommon) or moire issues or need substantial exposure corrections I go back to Phocus to revise and export a new version. By stacking the moire-fixed and non-fixed versions of an image in PS and masking you can limit the application of anti-moire to the region that needs it.

The files stitch beautifully with the current version of PTGui (see my Central Park on another thread). I use Helicon Focus fairly frequently to extend depth of field - it works fine. These two software techniques provide most of the benefits of view camera tilts and shifts. I've tried various EDR techniques - Photomatix works fine technically, but I generally don't care for the EDR look.
Woody, you can export DNGs in Flexcolor. That's nothing new to Phocus.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Guy - Capture 4.1 Beta?????

I have the 3.7.8 Capture One Pro and 4.01 Capture One.

Do you have a link to the new Beta, I don't see it on their site? What is the difference to 4.01?

Ray

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
When I get this system up and running again I will let you know Ray. i am a beta tester for C1 also. There is more support for camera's for one. Here i think it is okay to post this part

This version 4.1 is not a replacement of the 3.7.x PRO version, so there will still be many advanced features not provided. Please don’t invest time sendings us features request on that.
However you will find some feature targeted specially for the Phase One Back users, and specially on the The Phase One camera and Mamiya users.
Other important features also for DSLR cameras including hot folder techniques and some new cameras being supported
Further a number of issues from 4.0.1 have been fixed.

Digital Back related features
Support for tethered Phase One Back support (excluding Live Preview – to come with later version)
Chromatic lense correction and Purple fringe correction for Phase One backs and 645 and Mamiya cameras

General new features
Hot folder - allowing you to do remote capture with 3rd party capture applications Like Canon, Nikon, etc.
If you direct images into the Capture One selected hotfolder every new image will pop up as the selected image in thumbnail window and be shown in viewer window
New cameras added:
- Canon 450D
- Nikon D60
- Pentax K20D, K100Dsuper, K110D, K200D
- Sony A200, A350
- Mamiya ZD