The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Traveling with Medium Format

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Tilopa is here in my office and Jack has the Satori. Very nice bags for sure. Do check the review out and also their website.

mAlKhamis

Guys, what about fitting a 17inch macbook pro + DB, body, couple of lenses and accessories, what's the best option here ?

cheers!

M

hcubell

The Tilopa is here in my office and Jack has the Satori. Very nice bags for sure. Do check the review out and also their website.
Yes, I bought the Tilopa with the extra large ICU. Very nice bag. However, for short hikes and city walking, it is not ideal because the access to your camera and lenses is not quick and easy. For the same reason, it would not be my first choice for shooting primarily out of the car.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, what about fitting a 17inch macbook pro + DB, body, couple of lenses and accessories, what's the best option here ?

cheers!

M
That is what I carry in my Airport Acceleration.
Their specs say that the included laptop sleeve only fits a 15 inch, but at least on a unibody mac 17, it is snug but it does fit.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes, I bought the Tilopa with the extra large ICU. Very nice bag. However, for short hikes and city walking, it is not ideal because the access to your camera and lenses is not quick and easy. For the same reason, it would not be my first choice for shooting primarily out of the car.
Yes it is a mountaineer bag

rmueller

Hi,
So far i had no problems with the Lowepro Vertex 200AW on international
flights (mostly LH). It takes my H3DII plus 4 lenses + accessories + 15" MBP.
Tripod goes in checked baggage.
Best Regards,
Ralf

Last edited:

hcubell

One point to emphasize about the Tilopa. It weighs 4.5 pounds, empty. By comparison, a Lowepro Pro Trekker AW weighs 9.5 pounds, empty. For me, this was a compelling point as all of the other camera backpacks I have ever owned were heavy before I ever put anything in them.

T

tetsrfun

I would be very interested in knowing how various people travel with their medium format equipment.
This AM, Casa Grande, AZ....The mobile "rats nest" approach. :>) The Lowepros aren't that great for hiking but they provide good protection and pack well.

Steve

Last edited:

kdphotography

One point to emphasize about the Tilopa. It weighs 4.5 pounds, empty. By comparison, a Lowepro Pro Trekker AW weighs 9.5 pounds, empty. For me, this was a compelling point as all of the other camera backpacks I have ever owned were heavy before I ever put anything in them.
Which is exactly why I have a love-hate relationship with my Lowepro Computrekker AW---it's so heavy without any gear! Five pounds is a big difference....

Dale Allyn

Thanks Bob, it's a nice bag, but what do you think about Tenba's small roadies ?
http://www.tenba.com/products/Roadies-Small-Rolling-Photo-Laptop-Case.aspx

it's looks perfect for such task, have you tried their product or any one there?
Tenba makes some nice gear. I have a few of their bags.

However, the Rodies are a bit large for some commuter flights or some regional airlines. For example, on the typical UA flight from SMF (Sacramento) to SFO one would almost certainly be required to check that bag at plane-side (30-seater turbo-prop), though it might fit under the seat in front of 9B. But that would be the only seat on the flight which may work I believe. Too wide for 9C and too long for the rest.

Overhead in these planes is quite shallow, so that's a non-starter.

Just a heads-up, Moh. :)

mAlKhamis

Tenba makes some nice gear. I have a few of their bags.

However, the Rodies are a bit large for some commuter flights or some regional airlines. For example, on the typical UA flight from SMF (Sacramento) to SFO one would almost certainly be required to check that bag at plane-side (30-seater turbo-prop), though it might fit under the seat in front of 9B. But that would be the only seat on the flight which may work I believe. Too wide for 9C and too long for the rest.

Overhead in these planes is quite shallow, so that's a non-starter.

Just a heads-up, Moh. :)
hey dale what's up, i hope every thing is going fine with you :D

as usual you are my MF hero ;) thank you so much for tip, i really appreciate it. however what's your personal recommendation ;)

cheers!

Moh

Dale Allyn

Hey, Moh,

I have mostly Tenba bags and Lowepro, but have been planning to get one of the ThinkTank bags. One thing about ThinkTank is that the backpacks tend to be a bit more square in outline shape, i.e. less "teardrop" shaped. I feel that for MF this can be an advantage. But this is surely personal, depending on preferences and items one typically carries, etc.

For air travel, I prefer a backpack to a rolling bag because I have met with fewer problems using the backpacks. Backpacks are typically viewed as "personal bags" by staff. I normally fly with a smallish rolling bag for clothes and computer, etc. and a backpack with photo gear. If needed, the rolling bag can be left plane-side for stowage on the small planes. I've occasionally placed one well-padded lens in there (one receives the bag at plane-side upon arrival, not baggage claim), but always pull my laptop. Tripod and other gear goes in checked baggage.

Honestly, I have several rolling bags (20" to 22") from which I select, depending on the nature of any trip. Still, the photo gear is always in a backpack these days.

mAlKhamis

Hey, Moh,

I have mostly Tenba bags and Lowepro, but have been planning to get one of the ThinkTank bags. One thing about ThinkTank is that the backpacks tend to be a bit more square in outline shape, i.e. less "teardrop" shaped. I feel that for MF this can be an advantage. But this is surely personal, depending on preferences and items one typically carries, etc.

For air travel, I prefer a backpack to a rolling bag because I have met with fewer problems using the backpacks. Backpacks are typically viewed as "personal bags" by staff. I normally fly with a smallish rolling bag for clothes and computer, etc. and a backpack with photo gear. If needed, the rolling bag can be left plane-side for stowage on the small planes. I've occasionally placed one well-padded lens in there (one receives the bag at plane-side upon arrival, not baggage claim), but always pull my laptop. Tripod and other gear goes in checked baggage.

Honestly, I have several rolling bags (20" to 22") from which I select, depending on the nature of any trip. Still, the photo gear is always in a backpack these days.
thanks Dale, i might consider one of the think tank bags in my future project
we will see. cheers! my friend :thumbs: