The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions for Hassy shooters who use PCs

P. Chong

Hi all, as I await the arrival of my H3d-39, I have some laptop questions:

1. How do you guys shoot tethered? Most PC laptops don't have 1394, and those that do, are 1394A instead of 1394B (Firewire 400 instead of Firewire 800)

2. Do you use a converter like those shown here http://www.firewire-1394.com/cards-firewire-laptop-notebook-cardbus.htm Any issues? What do you recommend? Do you use a 800/800 cable?

3. I am actually quite tempted with the Dell Studio XPS 16 with their RGBLED 1920x1080 screen. I am actually looking at the slightly older model T9600 Core Two Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 with 512MB memory, 500GB disk, running Windows 7 64 bit Professional. A local dealer with ready stock is offering to me at a good price (about US$1250). This laptop actually features 1394A, but I don't know what is the power it supports...I read from the HUSA site, that the back needs 10W power. I did ask Dell Singapore, the chaps don't seem to know.

Thanks. I did a search, and found one post on PCs in the Gear Garage, but that was a while ago, and did not deal with Firewire on PC.

jlm

Workshop Member
FWIW; as far as processing with focus 2.x, i gave up using the PC and went to mac. this was after several interactions with hasselblad tech support. I use two monitors and tried two different video boards, even two at a time, eventually gave up; mac has worked without a hiccup.
my Dell XP was within or exceeded spec as described by blad.

maybe i didn't make this clear, but my phocus problems were because i use two monitors. on the pc, Phocus was no go, but on the mac, they work. previously, with earlier phocus versions, the two monitor/PC worked fine

no comments on thethering

Last edited:

P. Chong

thanks for your comment, Jim...you mean you have trouble shooting tethered with Phocus 2.x? Or processing...I have no trouble processing on my desktop, which is only E7500 with 4GB, and a NVidia 8400 GS with 512MB.

cunim

I am using more or less the setup you describe. Dell XPS16, W7, 6GB. Nice PC but that screen is invisible outdoors.

The 1394a port is unpowered, but Phocus is fairly stable using that connection with the camera running off its own battery.

Things change with other configurations. With the back on a view camera, I use a Sonnet 1394b expresscard powered by its own wall wart or a Tekkeon battery. Phocus is very unstable in that configuration - lots of crashes that seem to be linked to driver issues. Don't think it has anything to do with platform. Severe stability issues have been reported with both Macs and PCs, while others seem to have few problems. I am trying to isolate the problem source (eg voltage to the expresscard, firwire driver, graphics driver) but HUSA has no useful answers. YMMV

P. Chong

Great, an actual XPS + Hasselblad user...do you have the RGBLED? Do you think it worth the money? The other option I have is to go for the newer Studio 16 (non xps), but with i5 and 1GB Radeon 5470 instead of T9400 and 512MB Radeon 3670 (apologies for earlier typo) for more or less the same money, 1920x1080 screen, but no RGBLED. Suggestions and comments appreciated.

I am using more or less the setup you describe. Dell XPS16, W7, 6GB. Nice PC but that screen is invisible outdoors.

The 1394a port is unpowered, but Phocus is fairly stable using that connection with the camera running off its own battery.

Things change with other configurations. With the back on a view camera, I use a Sonnet 1394b expresscard powered by its own wall wart or a Tekkeon battery. Phocus is very unstable in that configuration - lots of crashes that seem to be linked to driver issues. Don't think it has anything to do with platform. Severe stability issues have been reported with both Macs and PCs, while others seem to have few problems. I am trying to isolate the problem source (eg voltage to the expresscard, firwire driver, graphics driver) but HUSA has no useful answers. YMMV

Quentin_Bargate

I will be soon :-( Mind you, the demo I had of a H4D-50 and Phocus using a Mac had issues. They had to switch to a different firewire port to get the software to see the camera.

Usually these problems have nothing to do with the Mac v PC debate.

Quentin

P. Chong

Just as an update, I bought the Dell XPS Studio 16 and a 4.5m of generic firewire cable...9 pin on one side (camera), and 4 pin on Dell side. I had to shave off the sleeve on the camera side, but after that, it works very well. Have shot two sessions with this tethering, and am happy with it.

P

perjorgen

The PC laptops usually do not have power in their firewire and they are usually 4-pin.
I have shot tethered on two different laptops without any problems - one of them is an outdated dual core 2 with 2gb ram and 128mb ati graphics it runs OK but is very slow for processing and live view.
I use a 4-pin to firewire 800 cable on the laptop and a firewire 400 to 800 on the desktop.
If you get one of the adapters you linked to you should know that the firewire power comes from an external source, so it will not be powered when running on battery.