The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anyone got a Phase 110mm Schneider LS lens yet?

cunim

A lens can outresolve a sensor. If you have a sensor that has 200 pixels per linear mm, then before Nyquist it can theoretically "resolve" 100 line-pairs per mm. If your lens now can resolve 120 LPmm, then it "outresolves" the sensor. Nyquist takes the actual resolving ability down to about 67% theoretical, or in this case, 67 LPmm. So all we'd really need in this example is a lens capable of resolving anything better than 67 LPmm and it will be outresolving the sensor.

Make better sense now?
Thanks, Jack. I was unclear as to how photographers use the term "outresolve". This thread has helped me to understand. Sorry to raise geekoid material in what started as a practical discussion of a specific lens.

One day, over a beer......

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Jack, that last image you posted is gorgeous. You covered both points that I find most interesting about the image. 1) The lens has some serious mojo ... even in jpg form. Sharpness as well as a bit of dreaminess at the same time. I am also struck by the clarity that I see in the image. 2) I've taken a break from medium format for the past 6 months, but am intrigued by the color of the greens you are getting with the Dalsa sensor. I never quite warmed to the greens I was getting with the P45+ back (too yellow for my taste) ... but this looks very nice.

Damn, why did I need to click on the medium format link?

Kurt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kurt:

I understand your dilemma for sure. I love the look of MF over DSLR, and it's not just about having more pixels or better detail, but more about smoother tonality and the color. I preferred the convenience of my Canons for sure, but at the end of the day the files simply didn't wow me. With MF by comparison, I am regularly wow'd... And there is definitely something to the Dalsa greens, but I cannot explain it.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Sorry to move this thread off-topic, Jack, but how do you like the newer Phase DF body? I loved the smoother tones, color and extra detail (from big files) I was able to get with the Phase back. The ergonomics of the AFDIII, however, didn't do much for me. With a better body, Schneider lenses, better greens, and higher ISO values with a P40+, I might have to take a closer look at my options.

Kurt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMHO, the DF simply ROCKS! AF is about 2x as fast and more accurate with less hunting, and shutter lag is cut in about 1/2. Note however with the LS lens, I can in fact perceive the added release lag-time for that added steps required for the leaf shutter to fire -- it all begins immediately after the shutter press though, just takes longer to accomplish everything necessary before the actual fire.

And the P40+ is amazing too! ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sorry to move this thread off-topic, Jack, but how do you like the newer Phase DF body? I loved the smoother tones, color and extra detail (from big files) I was able to get with the Phase back. The ergonomics of the AFDIII, however, didn't do much for me. With a better body, Schneider lenses, better greens, and higher ISO values with a P40+, I might have to take a closer look at my options.

Kurt
Kurt have to say bud. I am seriously impressed by the P40+. By far the best back I have owned and personally much better than the P45+ except the long exposure part. Other than that it beats it in every way. Tremendous ISO latitude , much more ACCURATE color is more the word for it. Simply put I'm on a high that I won't come down from and the DF is by far much better. Is it the best they can do No but it is far more workable and i am a fast shooter and have yet to yearn for a Canon/Nikon on all counts.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Good to hear Guy. You shoot the same types of things that I like to shoot, so I really value your opinion. After shooting with the new camera and back for a little while (and I think that it always takes a few weeks/months to form a valid opinion of the strengths and weaknesses of a system), how are you finding the high ISO performance? Do you ever utilize the Sensor + option or are the files looking good enough for you to not have to utilize the setting as often as you thought?

Guy Mancuso

I use the Sensor Plus a lot on the event /Pr stuff and I am good all the way to ISO 1600 without any help from 3rd party noise reduction programs. That alone buried any thoughts of Canon/Nikon and at full res ISO 400 is singing very well too. Need to play around a little more with full res. ISO 800 it's clean but does have some noise. I'm being picky here as well. I honestly think you should demo it and see the improvements over the AFDIII and P45+. This seems to be the perfect balance of speed/ISO/ color/tonality/DR and I don't recommend anything lightly in MF but this system i do highly recommend it. A few folks here took my advice and went P40+ and they are singing the praises which makes me feel good i gave them the right direction to look. From me to you as a friend i think you should take another look. Now your going to kill me. LOL

I'm so bad

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I know you've demoed the S2, but I can't seem to get around that price tag. The H4D-40 might be the other option that I may look at ... but the down-side there is that I'm a C1 user and I'm familiar with the Phase system, lens line-up and files. As I'm currently tied to no system, however, maybe I just need to find a killer deal I just can't refuse.

Guy Mancuso

You won't like S2 files in C1. That i can assure you of even a good profile for color will not get rid of the artifacts. The S2 is nice but my opinion only and for me not ready. I want bullet proof but that's me.

gogopix

Subscriber
David Farkas has an icc for C1 that works pretty well; matches LR default fairly well.
However, even though I am not a great fan of LR for overall workflow, it's not a bad "raw processor" . Seems to work on the samplke S2 files.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Does nothing for artifacts,Noise, tonal range just color. Bottom line nothing totally dedicated to the S2.

faneuil

Agree. I shot AFD II (unusable shutter lag), AFD III (better but still laggy).
The DF with much improved shutter response and AF actually comes close to the feeling I have shooting my 5D MK II. Just wish my P45 back could perform better at higher than ISO 200.

I have absolutely NO regrets about spending the $$ on upgrading to DF.

Eric

IMHO, the DF simply ROCKS! AF is about 2x as fast and more accurate with less hunting, and shutter lag is cut in about 1/2. Note however with the LS lens, I can in fact perceive the added release lag-time for that added steps required for the leaf shutter to fire -- it all begins immediately after the shutter press though, just takes longer to accomplish everything necessary before the actual fire.

And the P40+ is amazing too! ;)

FredBGG

Not Available
The Schneider Phase lenses certainly produce very fine detail, but the overall look of the whole image is crisp and clear, but does not have a particularly nice look to. More straight forward technical clarity. Seems to be designed for ultra high res rather than beauty.

Personally I find the Contax 80mm looks far more interesting.

Of the Mamiya lenses I like the RZ80mm 2.8 and the older 80mm 1.9.

I also have a Schneider 480mm 8x10 lens at it is simply beautiful.
I just don't find that in the Phase Schneider lenses.